main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Better Call Saul (Spoilers within)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 12, 2015.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, there's a small scene where Jimmy is on the phone talking about having full reign of the pinata place and he starts talking about the fish and not overfeeding it so even though we never hear the voice on the other line we know it's the vet aka his point of contact.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Huell has already worked with Jimmy in BCS

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So it was Jimmy's guys, but the vet's location.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Jimmy's other friend was the guy he worked with the first time on the Hummel figurine theft. They seemed to hit it off then, when Jimmy had to do the car alarm improvisation to help him get out of the office.

Yes, Gus' story to Hector in his hospital room was just a great scene. And it's definitely cool to see the increasing trust and confidence Gus has in Mike; Mike has already reached the point where if he says that something is needed / needs to be done, that's it. Love the setup for the German crew, but up to a year inside a building would be crazy. And I don't think Kai, on that crew, is going to make it; he's destined to become an example. :p

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That was quite a tense moment... and no twitch. :p Great work too by Patrick Fabian during the "**** you, Jimmy" scene... he sells disgust rather well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Sith_Sensei__Prime

My wife and I are trying to figure out the timeline of when did Jimmy gets his law license compared to where we first meet up with him in Season One. If the just working in the mail room in 1993 not even thinking about going to law school (until he walks into the library perhaps) and Season One takes place in 2002, then perhaps Jimmy got his law degree/license in the late 90's? Maybe around 1999-2000 perhaps since I get the feeling Jimmy had only been practicing law as a public defender for a short time. 2-3 years at most.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @Luke02 A quick google search says it take 7-8 years to become a lawyer. After obtaining a four year bachelors degree you can enroll in a law school that will take 3-4 years. In order to practice law one has to clear the bar exam and get license in their state. If he starts in 1993 and Season 1 of Saul starts in 2002, then that's enough time it seems.

Edit:
    I found this timeline which have everything before the starts of Season 4:
    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/better-call-saul-breaking-bad-timeline-connections#

I didn't know the black and white scenes take place 50 years after the events of BB.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @TiniTinyTony

I think that is a typo and that is supposed to be 2017 which means the flash forwards we see of Jimmy in Better Call Saul take place roughly seven years after he leaves New Mexico and gains a new identity. That would fit because it seems like Gene has been in the same spot,working at a Cinnabon and living in a modest/non descriptive apartment for awhile.

And that makes sense about the 7-8 year timeline but I think Jimmy told Chuck that he 'finish up" his bachelors degree locally before getting his law degree via University of American Samoa ("Go Land Crabs") therefore I always took that Jimmy had taken classes in college in the past while he still lived in Illinois. At least that is how I took it as. Jimmy transferred a bunch of credits to a local college to obtain his bachelor's after a few remaining classes before going to University of American Samoa for his law degree.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, there’s no way those black and white scenes could be 50 years later.

Luke02 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah yes, right... thanks.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've just watched ep4 , a question: how did Mike end up in a support group ?

Luke02 likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    His daughter-in-law asked him to come with her if I recall correctly.

EHT and gezvader28 like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yep, I used IMDB to see what episodes Anita (Tamara Tunie) was credited for (other than Season 4 Episode 4 Talk) and she was in Season 3 Episode 6 & 7 Off Brand and Expenses. In Expenses, Mike, Anita, and others from the support group are helping to build a new playground. I'm not sure which episode Stacey first mentioned the support group as she's been in 14 episodes total. It's such a minor detail that it's not in any synopses.

It feels like a long time ago that the support group was even referenced even though it was only 7 episodes ago timeline wise. (Expenses aired May 2017 and Talk aired Sept 2018, so it's been over a year in real time so definitely a small detail that one could easily forget.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the thing with BCS is I can't binge watch it 'cos it's too upsetting , a typical moment is where his gf is listening to him read Chuck's letter and Jimmy is casual and jokey and she knows that he really needs to face this . Rhea Seehorn is so brilliant .

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I can't binge it either because I have to wait 7 days for the next one.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    My wife and I watched Breaking Bad well after the show had started, so we binged all of it on Netflix; we watched the entire series in just over a month. Now, for Better Call Saul, I have to suffer through all the waits (even though she also liked BB, my wife didn't get hooked on BCS like I did).

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You can try to get her hooked by binging seasons 1-3 of BCS on Netflix.

EHT likes this.
  19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, but she’s already said she didn’t really want to watch it. She liked BB much more than she expected to, but she’s kind of done with it all now. And it is true that BB was more ridiculously addictive than BCS, as good as BCS is.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was speaking with an attorney I work with the other day about Better Call Saul asking if he was still watching it. He said he gave up on the show after season one. It just didn't hook him. I can't blame him. I mean, I think most viewers were really expecting how Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman over the first season and that really doesn't happen. As such, Jimmy doesn't really have an arc, nor the show a definitive direction in terms of plot. It was pretty mundane, as each episode was a day in the life of Jimmy McGill.

Anyway, I told him (the attorney I work with) that the past couple of seasons have greatly improved, as it pivoted away from the transformation of Jimmy McGill into Saul Goodman and towards being a true prequel to Breaking Bad with Mike being Mike and Gus playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I enjoyed the transformation of Walt from "Mr. Chips to Scarface". Sure, I'm glad they added the cartel stuff as it made the plot more interesting and we learned that Walt was just a tiny cog in a giant drug world. He was WAY over his head and how he got out of trouble and solved problems was a lot of fun to watch.

Similarly, I've enjoyed Jimmy's transformation so far. Sure, I'm glad they added the cartel stuff as it made the plot more interesting and we learned that Jimmy is just a tiny cog in a giant criminal world. Sometimes he gets WAY over his head, but how he gets out of trouble and solves problems is a lot of fun to watch.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm actually more ambivalent regarding the cartel and Mike stuff, especially this season. We don't need to know how the lab was built, that Gus tortured some poor animal in his childhood, that Mike hates group therapy. The show made Saul's backstory more interesting and complex than Breaking Bad made it seem, and the stuff with Mike's son added depth to him. The **** with Gus taunting Hector, Mike getting some dude to build a lab, the cousins being Terminators doesn't add anything. It's telling us what we already know. Nothing is revealed about characters or thematically. Nacho is the only potentially interesting thing about the cartel plot, and they're mostly wasting him this season.

Also even I noticed how awful Mark Margolis' accent was. Thank God he finally had that stroke.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  23. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I love this series but that bit where he was carrying the phones into the nail salon must rank as the most pointless bit of filler in both shows.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    eh, quirky montage is quirky.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, that didn't bother me too much only to confirm that for some weird reason he's still paying rent to the nail salon for that back office and he still can utilize it. I wonder if it'll come into play for a use this season other than the cell phones.

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.