main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo User Reviews/Reactions for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 22, 2018.

?

Did you like Solo: A Star Wars Story?

1. Yes

89.5%
  2. No

10.5%
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I might have this tattooed onto my face.

2. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    I loved it, didn't see it in theater, watched it three times so far.
    Even got a lil misty eyed when L3 was destroyed.

Did the Anthology Marathon on Friday, those are two good movies. Thanks Disney!

3. ChipRock

ChipRock Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    So I finally got to watching Solo this weekend. I'd missed seeing it at the cinema for a number of reasons... the main one being that I was still buzzing from The Last Jedi, and as much as I love Star Wars generally, I don't want to be oversaturated with 'product'. I've no other issues with KK or Disney or whatever, but please, don't try and release a new Star Wars film every six months. Plus, I didn't really get down with Rogue One, and to be honest the Solo trailer didn't fill me with optimism. 'You can't replace Harrison' and so on...

But so, it's out on iTunes now. I need to be able to say I've seen this at least, so it wouldn't hurt to get a rental. So how about this? I thought it was pretty bloody good, and actually now I do wish I had been to see it on the big screen. Duh. To start with, Ehrenreich was really good as Solo. I appreciate that he didn't do an impression of Harrison and just went with playing Han as a character, as he would have been. Spot on. The overall story was what it needed to be too - big dumb action fun all the way, with plenty of humour and enough peril and emotion to keep it from being too dumb. To be honest I didn't buy Clarke quite so much, but she was okay, and I'm still not sure how I feel about L3. I'm quite a fan of Waller-Bridge via Fleabag so it was hard to dissaccociate a bit. Overall though I thought she worked well with Glover and that's the main point. I probably don't need to say much about Lando. Pretty much a perfect version that takes nothing away from Williams, who I'm very much looking forward to seeing back for IX. I'm glad that Harrelson was in it so much, and sad that Newton bought it so early on... On the whole then I've no problems with the cast or story generally. Naturally there's a lot of scope for further adventures here, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of Enfys Nest and her gang (great to see Warwick Davis!). On that note though, I don't know how I feel about the return of Darth Maul. I'm fond of Ray Park to be honest, so I'm pleased he got another shot at the role, but I'm not sure we always need references to familiar characters like that. Maybe it would have been nice to have a completely new evil boss character instead? But anyway... considering all the production problems and my disappointment with Rogue One I'm really pleased this came together so well. I'm sad that it was seen as a bit of a failure, at least box office wise, but hopefully everyone who missed out at its original released - like me - does get to make up for it via home releases.

Toddy, Ricardo Funes and Outsourced like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I can’t fathom the discipline it requires to NOT see a Star Wars film in the cinema and wait five months for its home release. Almost admirable, in a way.

Krueger, Jedi Daniel and 3sm1r like this.
  5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Bor Mullet I can't even fathom the discipline required to watch a SW movie only once in cinema.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I would not judge anyone on that basis, I mean, it was too close and we all agree.

I completely understand fans who decided not to watch it on theaters. I sometimes buy great wine and keep it stored for a special moment, so why not wait to watch a movie when you are ready for it, not when it was released? With bluray and streaming, we get the home release very soon anyways.

It pleases me to hear that more fans are liking Solo. The actors put in a great effort and delivered a solid acting.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  7. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I was going to wait longer... I had planned to wait until December. But it happened to be one of the in-flight movies being offered on a recent business trip, so I watched it. It doesn't require much discipline when the movie is released so soon after the previous one. Also, although I ended up enjoying Solo quite a bit, Han Solo's backstory isn't a story I'd ever really spent much time wondering about. ROTS, on the other hand, was a movie I felt I needed to see during its opening month because I'd been curious about Obi-Wan Vs. Vader since 1977.

Another way to look at the discipline question: Those who saw it in May have to endure a longer wait until the next SW movie. My plan to wait until December was partly to keep myself on a 12-month schedule between films ;)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I never thought of that and now that I consider about it... you are right ! :)

Are you going to watch it on streaming or physical media as well? I find so tough to watch a movie during a flight, there is so much noise and distractions, and the screens have a very poor quality compared to smartphones or TVs...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'll probably end up borrowing it from the library one day. That's what I ended up doing with the all the previous films.

But watching it on the plane probably had fewer distractions than I'd have anywhere else. When I watch something at home, I'm always wondering if I should be doing something else with my time. On the plane, though, there was nothing else I could be doing, so that wasn't a factor-- I felt completely guilt-free about spending two hours watching a SW movie. And since I was listening through earphones, I didn't get the usual distractions that I get in the movie theater (people talking, babies crying, etc.) The only downside was that the screen was really small, but at least the picture was very clear. I heard a lot of people complaining that the images were too dark at the theater, and that wasn't an issue on the airplane's screen.

10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    This was put up yesterday:

I originally put it in the criticism thread, since it also includes a list of problems they have with the movie, including the overused and inaccurate, "Nobody wanted this movie". I certainly did, and I really liked what I got.

11. das9das9

das9das9 Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2018
    I was mostly disappointed in the Solo story - because there is not enough (barely any) advancement of the Larger Star Wars Story Arc (LSWSA). If we use a hypothetical point system, with points being awarded for STORY elements, with the idea that 100 points are needed for a decent movie, what this movie offers is:
    A) 10 points for how Han met Chewie. No more than that, because, while interesting to a point, how Han met Chewie is not all that important to the overall LSWSA, it really just doesn't matter. It could have been any of 100 ways, without meaning anything in the LSWSA.
    B) 5 points for How Han met Lando. Again. Not all that important. And could have any of 100 ways.
    C) 5 point for how Han "won" the Millennium Falcon. Not all that important. We knew he won it, the details are mildly fun.
    D) 5 points for introducing Darth Mall, at the end. But, clearly that was to stage a sequel, which probably won't happen, since the first one did poorly financially. Seems they got greedy, trying to split not-enough-content-for-one-movie into two movies. Maybe there could have been enough STORY to make one movie here. Hard to say, maybe we will never know. The rest is just another action flick, with (not another, OMG, just kill me now) chase scene or few, and shoot-out or few. 95% of the poor-excuse for a plot could have been any sy-fy movie, with any name,and any characters.

That leaves us with 25 Points total. Way short of what a Star Wars movie needs, to be a Star Wars movie. I suspect this movie would have worked better as a completely separate (not part of Star Wars) story. Then, it might have stood up on it's own, without carrying the burden of high expectations because of the Star Wars name. So, all in all, there just isn't enough STAR WARS STORY line, to matter. It carries the Star Wars name, but that isn't enough.

Hollywood in general, with Disney leading the way, has forgotten that the STORY is the MOST IMPORTANT part of a movie. In 1977 we were all enthralled with the STORY. It was INTERESTING. It was THOUGHT PROVOKING. We were ENGAGED. We ANTICIPATED the sequels. Episodes 4, 5, and 6, told a STORY, that held together. Episodes 1, 2, and 3 advanced the story some, but suffered from being aimed at 12 year olds. This was the beginning of the disappointment. For me,episode 7 was a complete-and-total, no-doubt-about-it WASTE, because it was a total rip-off of episode 4, and didn't offer ANY (zip, zero, zilch) content to the LSWSA. Episode 8, was fair. Of the 4 Disney offerings, I thought Rogue One was head-and-shoulders the best. And, I wouldn't say it was a all that great, just, relatively speaking, the best of this bunch.

I personally wonder about the aborted version of the SOLO film. I would have liked to see it, actually (with the 20-20 hind-sight of not finding the version that made it to market worthwhile). If I ran a movie company (ha ha ha, yes, I know, a ridiculous thought) I might have released both versions. Let people compare and react. Find out which "style" (or what-ever changed) worked best. I think people would have seen both versions, effectively doubling the box-office, without all that much more cost (I imagine. I heard it was 90% done) to put them out, and promote them.

I want to see STORY. I want PLOT. Action, cute dialog, and special effects don't make a movie, they are mechanisms which enables a movie tells a story. No (or not enough) story = no movie. Hollywood, will you ever learn?

Just my 2 cents worth.
    The opinions expressed were thought of the person who gave them. Keep what you like, and forget the rest.
    David

MaciekRS likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just when I thought fan nonsense couldn’t get any more nonsensical, the LSWSA and its point system arrives.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    wobbits, Outsourced and Darth_Voider like this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It's very telling that you didn't mention characters here.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    SOLO:ASWS was a Mandelbrot Set for me. Magnification and patience, and very small gems will emerge. I can see how others do not see.

15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    It would have a sequel, but after that poor Box Office, we will never know. It would be something about Maul / Qi'ra / Han. That would be so cool.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    We’ll get sequels at some point. Either on TV or film. Guaranteed.

17. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    In a few years Solo will be held in a similar regard to Rogue One. OT now consists of 5 films......

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't agree with that actually. The "OT" consists of four movies for me - the actual OT and RO. Solo, IMO, is something else. It's its own thing. It's right in the middle between the PT and the OT, in an era we really haven't seen on screen before (well, maybe Rebels), with a distinctive feel that reminds me of both the PT and the OT, but still goes in a new, different, direction. And I like that, and want more of it.

Ricardo Funes and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I already do.

themoth, wobbits and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. Solo’s right up there for me. Below Rogue One, but close to it. Love this movie.

Toddy likes this.
  21. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I didn't realize it was supposed to advance this LSWSA. Wasn't the word stand alone used to describe it? I didn't have any expectations that it was going to connect to R1 or even ANH.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I borrowed Solo from my local library and watched it for my second time. My opinion of the movie remains unchanged: I thought the first half was rather boring and a chore to look at since it is so murky. Once Lando shows up, the movie becomes a mildly entertaining popcorn flick.

23. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    Solo was the first SW movie that I just wasn't interested in seeing. It is also the first SW movie I did not see opening weekend, as I was ready to skip it altogether. I finally saw it in the theater a few weeks after its release after a friend of mine coaxed me after he heard from many co-workers that it was suprisingly good. I still wasn't sold, but finally saw it over July 4th weekend in 2018 to a mostly empty theater. To my shock, I loved it! It was the SW film I had waited for since 1983, as it was just pure fun and didn't take itself seriously. I won't pretend it's a great movie, but I will say it's fun, fun, fun. Everyone has different tastes in what they want from a SW movie after 43 years, so I think it's useless to debate what we like better versus other fans. I really liked Solo and I kind of like that it has a cult fanbase among SW fans. But you can blame fans like me who didn't show up opening weekend, and didn't see it multiple times so the movie's box office ended Standalone Films altogether.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  24. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    I wasn't interested in watching a Star Wars movie after TLJ, but ultimately i watched Solo. Got bored. The End.

25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I never noticed that when Han is playing sabacc, he pretends to have the same ship that they use in Rebels, VCX-100.

Bor Mullet likes this.