main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Resistance Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 25, 2018.

1. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I can't help but feel a tad frustrated that Kazuda's voice actor looks hella hotter and cooler than the animated character he is voicing.

Merric, teamhansolo and cwustudent like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So just a note- we're doing something new for episode threads going forward. Instead of having a discussion thread and a grading thread, we're doing a two-in-one special. We'll make the discussion threads, and then around the airing of each episode we'll add a poll to the respective discussion thread. We've got a lot of shows on the horizon, so this will help prevent an overabundance of threads.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    so when does this show debut? is it Sunday at 10:00PM?

teamhansolo likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    So first half before Christmas and second in spring.

6. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Is it bad that I'm hoping that Kazuda burns alive in a bonfire of rusting droids in the first 10 mins? I genuinely cannot stand his voice. Getting into this if he's taking centre stage is going to he really difficult.

7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I don't understand why their lead is apparently the son of a Senator whose apparently being put in great personal danger...

Is this Poe's way of lighting a fire under the Senate because of their refusal to do their damned job and recognise the First Order for the threat it truly poses?!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I believe based on descriptions that it’s Kaz’s choice to join the Resistance. As a child of privilege, he’s not content with his safe life, and itches to join those that are taking the fight to the FO. Perhaps the Resistance accepts his involvement in part due to the pressure it might put on the Senate, but I think that would be more about exploiting the situation for maximum benefit, rather than the core reason for his involvement.

Hopeless likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s healthy to find an actual human actor more pleasing to the eye than a cartoon... :)

10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    woah, I did not expect 2 hours of Resistance to drop this morning. Episodes 1(2 parter) 2 and 3 are available on the app.

revan772, chrcharcor2 and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Or his dad could be like Bail Organa. Knows his son wants to be involved and supports it.

12. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Even Bail made sure his adopted daughter was well prepared for life.
    Kaz however makes me wonder whether he and his parent are on good terms...

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Watched on the disney go app....

Overall enjoyable...

However...

Contrary to my earlier suggestion....Kaz's dad seems like a bit of a jerk.

Neeku does seem to need to be smacked around for running his mouth like he does.

Kaz using the cover of a mechanic is a major plot hole since he is not a mechanic...not to mention his whole doing everything on the Colossus except his job as a mechanic....sorry...but as a spy you need to be able to sell your cover...he can't. May play for some laughs but personally i don't like that. And don't get me started on letting Rucklin into Yeager's

I do like that they seemed to have ponied up the money for more individual bodies to roam around the station. It is not like in Rebels where we saw 50 Tuas just colored differently walking around to populate Lothal.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Bor Mullet and Xinau like this.
  14. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Spoiler-free thoughts:

The good:

1. The animation/art direction/visual design. Love it. Some nice tie-ins/throwbacks to legacy designs throughout.

2. Voice actor performances -- good to great, esp. the minor characters.

3. The setting. New Republic/Resistance/FO era, Colossus, etc. Interesting and well-done.

4. Flying sequences -- deserves separate mention. Superb. Truly thrilling. Some of it clearly inspired by in-cockpit footage of Blue Angels, etc. More, please.

5. BB-8. What a great droid. Elevates every scene he's in.

Not so good:

1. The score/theme. Blech.

2. "Bucket" -- Chopper clone. Meh.

3. Lotsa slapstick humor and tired tropes -- "watch this!" *engine wheezes, dies in puff of smoke*

4. Kaz the spaz -- hoping he'll grow on us but he's a bit tiresome at this point

Overall:

It's definitely a Filoni-inspired Star Wars animated series. Definitely aimed at a younger audience (of course), but there's lots to like. Has promise. Definitely deserves a shot, even if you're not in the target audience. Feels like it belongs in the Star Wars universe and it's nice to have a spinoff set in the sequel trilogy era. Hopefully it'll flush out a little bit of the post-ROTJ political dynamic that led to the situation we see in TFA.

Gratuitous easter eggs:

Pretty sure that the shuttle that Poe transports Kaz to Colossus in is the same design as we see leaving Jakku in Rey's Force-vision in TFA. Some other ship designs -- particularly the lead vehicle in the Pirate ship attack are even taken outright from the X-Wing/TIE video game series in the 90s or heavily inspired by them. Assault Gunboat, I think?

Hypatia and podjazd like this.
  15. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Won’t be able to watch until it airs at 10pm, but does the show have an opening theme similar to TCW and Rebels? And does Kevin Kiner do the score?

16. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2018
    It has a similar intro, but it's not Kiner and you'll notice the difference immediately.

17. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Hm, guess Kiner is busy doing the new CW season, maybe even the live action series? He’ll be missed, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy what the new composer brings.

chrcharcor2 and Jesse1066 like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That was pretty fun. Something about it - perhaps the colorfulness of the setting and the broad range of aliens and personalities - makes it somehow seem more Star Warsy than Rebels. In any event, I like it much better than Rebels so far, and Kaz is much less annoying than Ezra. He's more in the Luke mode - a good guy that just whines sometimes. As opposed to Ezra, who seemed to be piss and vinegar to the core The visual style is extraordinarily good. Beat my expectations, and blows Rebels out of the water. Great to see the New Republic-Resistance relationship, and more of the First Order. The show could really help flesh out the ST world, which has been pretty thin thus far.

Overall, A for effort. And I expect it will get better as Kaz's spy mission heats up, and things with the First Order get serious.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  19. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    Love how populated the Collosus was. There was always crowds of aliens walking by or hanging out in the background. Great having more BB8 and Poe screen time. The views from inside their cockpits was badass. The blockade runner that survived the battle of Scarif? Badass! Animated Starkiller base was cool. Really hoping to see Hux and Kylo.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just a reminder people keep spoilers for an episode tagged until that episode has aired on live TV.

21. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Just got through the first three episodes on Disney app:

As a light appetizer while waiting for TCW: The Final Arcs, this kept me reasonably engaged for its 80-minute combined running time.

Liked the second and third episodes better than the premier as they had fewer explicit references to the ST and overly familiar SW tropes like X-Wing dogfights and more immersion into its own setup (the pilot dreamer posing as mechanic on a spy mission which keeps it from feeling like another iteration of the same old) Leia was but a cameo and Dameron was only used to launch the main protagonist into his journey but disappears after that. I hope that trend is indicative of the series as a whole and it focuses on its own characters and setup and not on trying to hook into the ST.

I found the character traits loudly portrayed, even by Star Wars standards. Yeah, Kazuda is the lovable klutz who'll no doubt eventually mature into Captain Awesome. We get it. After two Filoni series, I'm on to that program, but I can also be on to it when its toned down to volume 9.

The alien population of Collosus was nicely varied with species drawn from all eras of Star Wars but still embellished with their own personalities. This is a refreshing change from the strident OT/McQuarrie fetish that characterized the early episodes of Rebels.

Kiner's not doing the score this time - will have to see how this one grows on me. I did appreciate the minimal quoting of John Williams this time around.

This one's definitely benefiting from low expectations on my part, but on the whole a solid start - something to build on.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I like it so far.

And I even got a few laughs out of it.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So far so good. Loved the racing scenes. Kaz is kind of an idiot but likeable at least. Neeku stole the show for me. He's my favorite character on the show so far.

Bor Mullet and Trikuza23 like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well it didn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth, like TLJ did. So that's good.

With the knowing Resistance is going to overlap with TFA, I want that to happen sometime in a late season 2. Their is a lot we can continue to get in a pre-war setting even though TFA is 6 months away. We need more time then just 1 season of Kaz and his innocence before his home, the New Republic, is destroyed.

Hopeless likes this.