main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Archaeology and History Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Continuing the trend of academic subjects and the past of the GFFA I present to you, the archaeology and history thread.

How does the GFFA handle its history? Its historiography? What archaeological aspects are particularly interesting? What historical aspects?

Thoughts? Ideas?

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Something that's right up this thread's alley has just come up! Apparently, some guys figured out yet another canon dating system feature in the upcoming "Scum and Villainy" book! See HERE (beware the spoilers though).

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There was another dating system that got used in an episode of TCW, wasn't there? Does it line up with that?

AV-6R7 likes this.
  4. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    You mean the Commerce Treaty of 1647, yes? If so, then yeah, we considered it when figuring out the dating system.

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    To use a legends here-aren't there from an IU perspective more benefits to an Endor based system than a Yavin one?

Ghost likes this.
  6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember the Endor system being more common on fan timelines in the 90s, before the Yavin-based one became solidified in official publications.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes.... Yavin never made sense to me.

8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    The Yavin dating system is one of those things that makes a lot of out-of-universe sense, as it places everything relevant to the first piece of media, but little in-universe sense. It wasn't even the end of the war. I'd date from Ruusan if it were me deciding these things.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Shall we debate if Freia Kallea should get a lot of credit for the Hydian Way...or just minor credit for stitching together several smaller hyperlanes that already existed?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yavin actually makes a lot of sense in-universe because of Ruusan, because they happened exactly 1000 years apart. 1 ABY = 1001 after Ruusan. Seems like it’d be pretty easy to adjust to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus and Tython Awakening like this.
  11. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I could swear I read somewhere, also, that the concept of big momentous events happening in exact, something-to-some-power-of-ten increments from each other (Yavin was 1000 years after Ruusan, which was 4000 years after the Great Hyperspace War, which was 20,000 years after the Republic's founding, which was 75,000 years after the binding of Abeloth, etc.) was borrowed from real-life mythology, but I can't recall just WHERE I heard that...

Tython Awakening likes this.
  12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Seems really weird to me that Ruusan was ever put 1000 years before YAVIN, considering all the reference points in narrative were 1000 years before the specific story mentioning it. A New Hope never mentioned it.

Xammer likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Ruusan from an IU perspective was the decline of the republic and a massive political re-organization thus separating the post Ruusan period from the thousands of years that had proceeded it.

As for Endor-it's a pretty significant event even in legends were the war continued for another 15 years. I could see young historians arguing for Endor instead of Yavin in the GFFA's historiographical conferences.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think Endor was used in the timelines provided in novels and comics set after ROTJ while Yavin was used in the Essential Guides.

15. CakeWhill

CakeWhill Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2018
    To be honest I never really got the idea of the New Republic changing the calendar in the first place. I could see the Empire changing it because their system is built off arrogance so naturally they would want people to think 'It's been 14 years since our glorious Empire rose'. I can't see the New Republic doing that though because 1: it's made up of people who are humble enough to realize that their system may not even stay a Republic for long because everyone has a say in how things are run and their system of governance could change with democratic action, and 2: I don't think they would want to mess with the sciences like that. Keeping track of years should be a very apolitical thing that is meant to serve historians and scientists and I feel like the New Republic wouldn't want to mess with the calendar the same way they also wouldn't want to make a new alphabet or numerical system based off their government.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I never really got the idea (in universe) of making your timeline based off of destroying the original Death Star. While am important victory....it really is not something you would design your entire concept of time around. I would be like the US having a pre-Gettysburg and post-Gettysburg calendar

Jedi Princess and Nom von Anor like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah the Out of Universe reasoning is great but IU it made little sense to me.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This. Creating a new calendar/year zero seems Orwellian to me. It feels it's denying that there was any history before the regime instead of remembering history.

Also, if the Empire created a new calendar, I could see them using any of the three prequels or even the year that Sheev was born as year zero. TPM was when Palpatine became Chancellor, AOTC was when Palpatine got "emergency powers" and what would become the Imperial military, and ROTS was when the Jedi were "exposed" and the formal birth of the Empire occured.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  19. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    That's why The Phantom Menace is "zero year" in my personal files, cuz it works both in-universe and out. It's the "first" movie, and it's the "last" year of the Republic (though obviously not officially for another decade). Palpatine's election at the end of the movie is the first day of "year one".

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Wait, there's an Archaeology thread, and no one has informed Dr. Barriss "Indiana" Coffee (aka @Barriss_Coffee )? Shame on you all.

No, we shan't. Freia Kallea was awesome and deserves all the credit.

Okay, fine, if we're going to make a debate of it, then we should definitely not underestimate the sheer amount of cunning, work, luck, and perseverance it took to stitch together the smaller lanes, which had sat unconnected for centuries, as well as blaze from whole cloth major stretches of the Hydian that had no predecessor; the Serenno-Telos leg alone would have been a career capstone for most scouts, let alone the Denon-Demos leg or the impressive Rimma-Terminus leg. The fact that Kallea did all of this and completely redefined the galaxy in a span of eleven years makes her easily one of the most important personages in galactic history.

21. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am not saying she does not deserve credit for her accomplishment...I just want those who came before to get their credit for laying the ground work. Freia did not exist in a vacuum...OK...literally she did in the vacuum of space....but built on others work.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The fact that Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity builds on the work of Newton, Maxwell, Hertz, Doppler, and Lorentz doesn't make Relativity any less revolutionary. The pre-existing routes facilitated local travel, but were in the scheme of things about as consequential as the Nothoiin Corridor or the Pabol Sleheyron. They didn't change everything like the Hydian Way did.

That said, the various scouts who forged the minor routes that Kallea tied together are lost to history (i.e. they were never established in Legends and thus now probably never will be), so crediting them properly may be a bit challenging.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So on a particular tangent that interests me-what would IU historians call the period from 19 BBY to 45 ABY?

24. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm guessing you mean in Legends? What unifies that period for you that they would call it anything?

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Skywalkers. What else?

Amon_Amarth and Barriss_Coffee like this.