main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2018/ **Word Race November 2018**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 9, 2018.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's creeping up on the end of the year, which means it's almost time for that mad dash to write as many words as possible! It's...

[​IMG]

What is NaNoWriMo?

At its most basic definition, National Novel Writing Month aka NaNoWriMo aka NaNo is writing a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November (That's only 1,667 words a day!). Many people get so much more out of it, some people don't, it's really up to you what NaNo is about. Many people don't even write a novel, they are rebels and write short stories, or work on an old project! You'll be doing it along with hundreds of thousands of other crazy people, so don't worry about being alone in your insanity!

NaNo is not about writing the next best seller (though it has been known to happen) or writing the perfect story, it's all about the writing. Repeat after me: "It's all about the writing." The goal is to get it all out there, get your ideas down and don't worry about editing, grammar or plot holes... those are things that can be taken care of once the writing is done. This is a rough (sometimes very rough) draft. I'll say it again, it's all about the writing.

If you should decided to take on this challenge, I promise you this: you will write some utter crap so go ahead and turn your inner editor off now or it's going to be a long month. But in writing impetuously, you may find that giving yourself the freedom to just write -without worry- results in some truly amazing prose!

How do I participate?

You go to the NaNo website and sign up. Then starting at midnight November 1st (and no sooner!) write your heart out! You can write in a notebook, on your computer, heck, you could write on your walls, just as long as you don't write the same word over and over again!

Don't forget to check out the official NaNo FAQ.

I've signed up, what do I do now?

Well, you can start outlining your story, make your characters, do some research, but remember, no actual writing until November 1st! Any words written before November 1st (in your time zone) don't count toward the word count. If your more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of writer you can check out the forums at the official NaNo site and discuss pretty much anything with your fellow Wrimos and discuss the process here with your fellow JCers.

[​IMG]

I know the muse won't cooperate, should I even try?
    Do you really know that? Really?
    Give it a shot! Even if you only make a few hundred words, that's more than you had at the start of November! Maybe other people cheering you on will help inspire the muse to keep it going! Remember, it's not really about the word count, it's about the writing!

What Do I Get If I Win?
    Absolutely nothing!! [face_party]

But you get the satisfaction of knowing you wrote 50,000 words in 30 days! We know for some people that's nothing, but for most people, that's incredible! And you have the start to a novel, or an epic fic, or several stories that are ready to be edited and posted!

But also the NaNo people make some shiny web badges so you can show off to the the internet how awesome you are! There are also a few companies that give you discounts or something free when you win so I guess technically you could win something!

If you've read this far and decided this isn't for you, just remember you'll never make it if you don't even attempt it. Many, many people don't make it to 50,000 words but there's still a lot of adventure and fun along the way!

Still not convinced? Tried it before and it's not for you? Feel free to keep tabs on this thread and cheer on those who are participating. We will take all the cheering (and caffeine) we can get!

So you've decided to tackle the challenge?

Awesome! Welcome aboard! We should have a lot of fun!

[​IMG]
    If you plan on participating, post here and we'll add you to the list of participants. As the month goes on, make sure to tell us your word counts so we can cheer you on and update the list! If you have a different name on the NaNo site, let us know so we can friend you.

Let's start with a bit of discussion!

Discussion: Let us know if you've participated before and if you've won. Feel free to share any advice you have! Do you know what you are going to write? Fanfic? Something original? Do you plan or are you more of a by the seat of your pants kind of writer?

November Word Race

Edit: We're also making this a Word Race, so you don't have to try and meet the 50,000 words of NaNo.

It's going to be very simple, set your own goal for the month of November and then try to meet that goal!

To sign up, post that you intend to participate and what your goal is, be it daily, weekly or for the month!
    Don't start counting your words until November 1st at midnight in your own time zone. Counting your words stops at midnight November 30th in your own timezone.
    Every few days (or even every day!) let us know how you are doing. Please post your new words and your total words for the month. If you are doing a daily or weekly goal, you can certainly tell us how that's going!
    If you need a little motivation, you can ask for that too! We'll be here cheering each other on for the month.

Discussion for the word race part (mostly the same): Do you know what you are going to work on? Are you starting something new? Finishing something old?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants List

Briannakin (goal 25,000) - 19,690
    CosmicDust (goal 30,000)
    DaenaBenjen42 (full NaNo) - 1,560
    Findswoman (goal 5,000) - 4,700
    mavjade (goal 25,000) 2,186
    Master_Lok (goal 5,000) - 6,108
    Mira_Jade (goal 30,000)- 28,743
    moussemouse (full NaNo)- ~2,000
    Raissa Baiard (goal 10,000) - 5,614
    Seldes_Katne (goal 1,000/week or finished projects) - 2,011
    Tarsier (goal 25,000)- 2,843
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (goal 1,000-1,500/week)- 5,370
    Vek Talis (goal 100,000)- 101,969

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I wish yous all well.
    I just don't have the concentration span for this. I'd be keen for a weekend, then... ooh what's that shiny thing?

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I tried in 2014 and failed, as we all remember - partly because I had a high-paying job that I had to do 30 hours per week for, partly because it was my first fic on here and there were some plot points to iron out. I thiiiink there's no way that I'll try this time. [face_blush][face_blush][face_blush]

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeessss! It's back, AND I CAN FINALLY PARTICIPATE!!!! I do plan on participating this year (more on that below) and I couldn't remember my password for my NANO account, so I just started a new one: Smarmy Briannakin

I did make one really pathetic attempt back in like 2013(??? Might have been 2014), and yeah, got to about 15,000 words. That year, and all the other years since I've heard about NANO, November has just been a busy month with school, mid-terms, papers etc. BUT THIS YEAR, while I'm still in school, my next semester doesn't start till November 7th and I have nothing due till the end of the semester (I'm like 95% sure) so I can finally take a legitimate crack at this.

That being said, these days, my body isn't exactly the most functional piece of organic equipment. I can usually type about 800-1000 words in a day (of fic) before the pain in my wrist gets to the "this is not worth it" mark (I might be able to stretch it to 1500 if it's a good day and I can take a long enough break between sittings or if I type slowly... but, for example, I'm not writing any fic tonight because I don't feel like it. so I don't mind writing this long post). So, unless I forsake my body there is no way I'm getting to 50,000 words, so I guess this is my two(ish) pieces of advice from my very limited experience: 1 - don't push yourself too far or too hard; it isn't worth it, and 2 - even if there's no physical way you are making it to 50,000 words, if you think you'll enjoy the challenge of sitting down and just writing like mad, then do it! Set a personal goal for yourself. I am aiming for 25,000 words but I still want to see just how far I can make it.

As for what I'll be working on: fanfic. I have toyed with the idea of starting something new, something that I can maybe post that readers don't need to read like a huge amount of backstory to understand (something I do want to eventually branch out and write) BUUUUUUTTTT I know if I have any shot at all of getting to 25,000 words, let alone beyond that, I'd better stick with what my muse wants and what I have been enjoying writing (and then guiltily narcissistically reading): West Wing vignettes, mainly featuring OCs. So I'm putting together a list of about 25 ideas I have floating around in my brain (I have 9 listed thus far) and that should give me a nice selection. I'm not really "pantsing" it, but some of these ideas are rather vague. But, yeah, I am breaking the rules (kinda) but it will allow me to hop around and do whatever my muse is feeling (like I don't do that already).

So, yeah, poor Mav is going to be bombarded with vignettes. But I'm kinda hoping if I get all these random plot bunnies out, then come the new year, I'll maybe be able to start a totally fresh new project (but I doubt it, me and my muse just love these West Wing OCs so much!)

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ha! I was thinking the other day that I'd actually aim for 25,000 and that would be a huge win for me!

That's pretty much what happens to me every day year.

I've done NaNo quite a few times, I'd say at least 8 times, I've only won once. But the process is fun, so I keep doing it because it not about winning to me, it's about the goal of writing every day even if it's only a few hundred words. (But having that goal of 1,667 works for me.) I know this method isn't for everyone, but I don't work well without a deadline, so this kinda gives me one.

I also plan on working on fanfic, and multiple stories. I have a list of stories I've been wanting to write but haven't yet. I also have a random NCIS fic that's been floating around in my brain for a few months I might give a shot at if the muse decides it wants to do something I've never really done before.

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    NaNo, now with more Word Race action!
    We got to talking and thought that since Bri and I both set lower goals than the 50K for ourselves, maybe other people might want to do that too! So we decided to also make this a Word Race in addition to NaNo, that way more people can participate in this thread.

It's going to be very simple, set your own goal for the month of November and then try to meet that goal!

To sign up, post that you intend to participate and what your goal is, be it daily, weekly or for the month!
    Don't start counting your words until November 1st at midnight in your own time zone. Counting your words stops at midnight November 30th in your own timezone.
    Every few days (or even every day!) let us know how you are doing. Please post your new words and your total words for the month. If you are doing a daily or weekly goal, you can certainly tell us how that's going!
    If you need a little motivation, you can ask for that too! We'll be here cheering each other on for the month.

Discussion for the word race part (mostly the same): Do you know what you are going to work on? Are you starting something new? Finishing something old?

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've done it and won in the past. Last year I came down with a bad cold in late October and still felt like hell in November so I gave it a miss. Not sure if I'm going to do it this year yet. You might see me around on the NaNo site though. User name over there is LAJ_Fett.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    The word race component of this is very good news! I have never done an actual full-on NaNo, because writing at that kind of volume over the course of a single month simply does not fit well with my schedule and other commitments—but coming up with a smaller goal and working toward that during the month of November is definitely something I'd enjoy doing.

So yes, please sign me up, with a goal of about 5000 words. I'll probably focus on bringing my DDC close to completion (the more of it I can get written before December the better, given how busy December gets), though I also may do a bit on one or two of my pending challenge prompts. Thanks so much for doing this! :)

10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Signed up and looking forward to this. Heckin nervous about this, but I hope to win it this year.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Won a couple of times between 2008 and 2013, miss their screenplay version which I consistently won every year I entered due to less words and opportunities to get bored with the material.

I prefer short stories and screenplays, because I do not have the patience or interest to write novels.

Wish everyone luck and fun. You can do it. The support system is fun and you do feel like you’re not alone.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I'd like to sign up for the word race, please, with a goal of 10,000 words. I'd love to try NaNoWriMo sometime, but right now, I don't think I'd be able to write nearly 2000 words a day. I've done it before, but it's not a level I can hit consistently. Also, I feel like I've got too many works in progress to add a new epic to the mix :p My very wise beta reader is always after me to finish what I start as it is--so that is what I hope to do in the word race.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happiest wriggles for Finds & Raissa's participation! [face_party]

I will also join the Word Race with a weekly goal of 1,000 to 1,500 words.
    This will be for:

* RPGs
    * The official MMM challenge & Spoonfuls of Mush
    * And brainstorming/plotting for my half-DDC in 2019. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh! I have to add in how much I love the word race component of this! What a wonderful idea! [face_love] [face_dancing]

I tried NaNo once back in 2008 and completely burnt out my muse like you wouldn't believe. Since then November is usually a huge work month and I've never tried again. But I actually have the opposite situation this year, with quite a few days available for writing! I still have NaNo panic flash backs, so I think I'll build myself up to doing that in the future - but the word race sounds like a perfect stepping stone for that! So please sign me up for a monthly goal of 30k. That's my official goal, but I'm still going to cross my fingers and hope to hit 50k as a bonus challenge! You never know, and, honestly, I have plenty of fanfic WIPs that could use finishing! This is as good an impetus as any. :p [face_blush] :D

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Glad to see more people signing up! The participants list is updated.

16. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I'm doing NaNo! I'm not sure if I'll be writing anything for Star Wars since I think I've officially left the fandom writing wise (although I am curious about Jyn/Cassian). My goal is 30k. :) That's usually how much I wind up writing in November.

17. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    I shall participate.

I reckon my goal to be 100k, assuming I get the time I will require. Yes, I know why it's a bad idea to 'assume' anything, but starting this year, I work seasonally, so by Nov 5 or 6, I should have a plethora of time. :D

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles @Vek Talis -- is your project SW, another fandom, or original fiction? :cool:

19. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Thanks. :)

And, I think I'm done with original fiction. I'm glad to be writing fanfic again! Whoo-hoo!

Alter Ego: Erm... think dignity, Vek, dignity.
    Me: Yeah, I'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

Um, this will be a Star Wars fic @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha :)

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Figures, I am just finishing up my first SW fan fic in years now (and am tweaking a Knightfall story too). :rolleyes: The SW fiction is mostly OCs just before TPM. I write when the characters start talking/doing (I know, I know).

Q: If I should write something else in November can I enter it into the Word Race at that time?

I cannot predict when stories fall out of me, they just do. If not, I completely understand.

Anyway, wishing everyone good luck and fun.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @Master_Lok, as I've always understood it, anything you write during the month that a Word Race is happening can count toward that Word Race. :)

AzureAngel2, Master_Lok and Vek Talis like this.
  22. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    @Master_Lok If you keep banging your head hard enough, the ideas will come out. Along with some brain cells. :oops: I learned that the hard way after listening to too much 80s Metallica & Megadeth. :p

Yes, I read your whatever it's called that you're "headbanging" something something. :p

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Time and ideas, also school, real life and work get in the way. I’ve learned I cannot force creative writing or drawing, it comes when it comes.

Yes, Bolt Thrower, Celtic Frost, and Aspyhx are continuous inspiration. All headbanging is left to my imagination now.

Many thanks for the encouragement. I wish you good luck too.

That is great to hear, thanks for clarifying.[:D]

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Participants list updated.

@Master_Lok - Findswoman is correct, anything written in the month counts toward the word race. Usually you have to declare you are going to participate prior to the month starting, but since there are no prizes this time around, if you want to wait and see how the muse reacts, that's fine. Mostly for this one it's about setting a goal and trying to achieve it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you very much @mavjade I understand the declaration rule, but appreciate the pass this time. Hopefully I can join everyone. :)

AzureAngel2, mavjade and Vek Talis like this.