main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWCC Panels and Programming (and Queuing)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, Jun 8, 2018.

1. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    This tweet from the Lucasfilm publicist basically confirms that we can expect Prequel anniversary stuff at Star Wars Celebration.

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Interesting

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I was thinking about my over night plan yesterday. No idea what triggered it, just randomly thinking about Celebration as you do.

Thursday is 1pm-8pm. I'm guessing the indoor queue hall will open at 8am (that's the end of the official site's countdown and it makes sense as the hall will very likely be opened up for badge collection in the morning). So 8am will see the Thursday crowd move inside (can't see there being a massive crowd before that point but I bet it'll build pretty rapidly after about 9am). At that time I'm still guessing that the over night line for Friday's IX panel will start outside. When the show closes at 8pm on Thursday the overnight line will move inside. Hopefully the doors won't close at midnight and people can just filter in over night rather than building up a big queue outside.

So my current thinking is going in Thursday morning prepared for the overnight (food, changes of clothes for over night and the next morning, toiletries for a wash/freshen up on Friday morning, battery chargers, etc). Hopefully there will be a bag storage. Do as much of Thursday as possible (hopefully check off Vader Immortal if it's playable, the show store, maybe a photo op) but all the time keeping an eye on the over night queue on social media. I'd love to stay on the show floor till 8pm but it depends on how much the queue builds. Having the change of clothes and toiletries with us means we can just go straight from show floor to the queue without needing to go back to the hotel.

I think that's a pretty solid plan.

4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That's pretty much along the lines of what I've been thinking. Do what I can on Thursday, but I'm prepared to sacrifice the day if I have to.

Some bitterly cold Chicago weather to discourage people from lining up outside super early would be nice. Haha

teamhansolo and ChrisLyne like this.
  5. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with letting the queue build a bit before I head over due to the arena capacity. I think we could get most of the day in. But if ReedPop go with a 50% lottery then all bets are off and I think I'll have to be prepared to sacrifice most of the day to get a good place in line.

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    If we have to sacrifice all day Thursday to line up, we should try to line up together. That way we can alternate leaving the line and enjoying at least a few hours of Celebration each. And if it's a group of us holding down the spot in line, it won't be an issue having one or two people come back after leaving like that. That's how it's done all the time at SDCC for people who line up days in advance for Hall H panels, and it works just fine. I'm guessing we will end up having to sacrifice all day Thursday. Because even if the official rules state no lining up before a certain time, you know people are just going to find the closest point at which they can line up and that will basically be the start of the line. And anyone who shows up will just be told to go to the back of it, that's for sure. That one group who lines up absurdly early for every Star Wars event will definitely be there. And then depending on the quality of that opening panel, which I'm assuming will be very good, it could be a lot of people lining up early. It will be that cascading effect where as soon as a few people line up everyone is going to start thinking they have to as well. So let's coordinate and that way we can have a good place in line and not have to miss out entirely on Thursday.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I could be up for that. We can coordinate through PMs later.

Of course, we need to see how ReedPop is planning on handling stuff first. For all we know, ReedPop will go 100% lottery and then we can all meet up and complain how none of us were chosen.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    ...and how a bunch of people who don't care were chosen.

9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Both of these are good points. Definitely up for a group queue!

I’m still clinging to the hope that it will be 100% wristband (or an electronic variation) and the large arena size will offset the early queuers at least somewhat. Tbh I think ReedPop are probably hoping the same thing. That Bounty Hunter Thursday will reduce the number of people lining up in advance of 8pm. They know they can’t stop it, but I have to admit it’s a good way to try and mitigate it a bit.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    With fewer Thursday tickets, you're going to have a lot of people with nothing better to do than go ahead and line up for Friday.

11. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    True. But (if I remember right) they also said that they sold as many 5 day passes for next year as they did 4 day passes for last year, so it’s just single day tickets they’re selling less of and we have no idea how many less they mean.

Just clinging to false hope [face_laugh]:_|

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    True. It's really hard to say. We all badly underestimated the lines for Orlando.

13. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I think the underestimating last year combined with the bigger arena will lead to a lot of overestimating next year, but it's so hard to predict. No way to really judge until we're on the ground.

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Not only that, but even if certain rules are in place ahead of time, there's no telling which ones will actually be enforced and which ones won't. As we saw in Orlando. So you can't even really formulate a concrete plan based on the official information. I agree, @ChrisLyne, there's really no way to know how it's going to happen until we're actually there.

I get there on Tuesday, which means I'll have all day Wednesday to pry around and see what I can find out. I'll definitely share that info here.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    @MotivateR5D4 please don't be the one to start a line on Tuesday. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Oh I won't. But I'll definitely be monitoring it. Like I said, that one group who lines up absurdly early will definitely be there. In Orlando, they were lined up by Wednesday morning from what I saw, and from what I heard, Tuesday evening. And they were right at the entrance, which caused everybody to think they have to get in line as well. By 5pm it was capped, considering that the line magically swelled to about double its size once it got close to entry time. That's another thing to consider, which is an issue at every con, is that suddenly the amount of people in front of you in line will double because people are holding spots.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    That's my job :p

Joking aside, I'm arriving Tuesday afternoon so hopefully have that evening and Wednesday to scout things out, pick up badges, etc. @MotivateR5D4 we should team up ;)

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Definitely. We'll make plans for that when it gets closer.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I wonder if they'll line up for Thursday entry or Friday panel. If people line up for both before the Thursday crowd go in then it has the potential to get very confusing. I know it's really hard for ReepPop to stop people lining up before the official start time but they really should do everything they can to keep it to just one line outside the convention centre and only let the unofficial line for Friday start once the Thursday line has gone inside.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Oh, you're not getting out of your karaoke performance that easy... :p

ChrisLyne likes this.
  21. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    Wasn't there an issue with the line on Thursday in Orlando where people were able to gain entry through another entrance?
    I remember flying in from California Wed night, getting a shuttle at 7:30 pm, and arriving at the hotel near the convention at 8:30 pm. The line was already wrapped around the building so I dropped off my bag at the hotel and got in line around 9 pm.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It was the opposite. There was only one entrance on Thursday, which created an insanely long line to get in for people who were merely arriving to enjoy the day.

Watch the second video in this article:

https://www.clickorlando.com/entert...ration-organizers-apologies-after-bumpy-start

JonSB and ChrisLyne like this.
  23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    You laugh now... :p

24. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Does anyone know if camping -overnight places and lines will be approved yet? it'll have to be from the con. center then walking over to the arena? who knows what lays in store for us! I'm not trying to be negative, but be prepared for anything.

25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    We won't know until next year. If they go full lottery (which I honestly doubt and really hope they don't) then there won't even be an over night line.

It's hard to judge without know what changes they are planning, but based on previous years we won't likely get official information on the queue process until April. If they're going to an NYCC style lottery model (50% lottery, 50% queue) we should hear earlier, so many late January/February.