main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Legacy comics readthrough thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 11, 2018.

1. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    Hello everyone. I have recently read everything from NJO onward somewhat regrettably. I even have threads on each series on here where a great group of people have joined me on the journey. We've had a great time discussing all the issues (if nothing else) by my considerations. Now, by many recommendations, I'm starting a readthrough of Legacy comics. So, this is the thread for it. Here we go!!!!

Let's get it started with some excitement though...so just put up some posts to setup your initial thoughts on this journey...just remember, this is a readthrough so please let me by the one to move the actual events along (unless you use spoilers, that's perfectly fine then)

I'll post my thoughts on Issue 1 after I see we got the ball rolling!!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy is one of my top 5 favorite comic series’ in SW. I love the Broken arc to kick things off.

3. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Without any spoilers. The art is extraordinary. Also love how they weave lore between eras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm looking forward to what will likely be the first topics of discussion.

Hopeless and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The Legacy comics will be like a cleansing experience after you've had to put up with all the post-TUF novels. Well, Mercy Kill was already a relief from the stupidity of the rest of the post-NJO novels, but one novel doesn't make up for the other... twenty-two ordeals (DNT, LotF, FotJ and Crucible).

You should try to read the #0 issue too, I remember when it first came out, those were the good old days of the old EU. I liked the Legacy comics a lot, although I had a few problems with them, flaws that got worse as the series went on unfortunately, but overall the series was still very good. I look forward to your thoughts on one of the best parts of the old EU, I still remember those years fondly. Although the KotOR comics were still quite a bit better (and that's already being covered in another thread).

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I got a wonderful vibe when I began reading Legacy that still sticks with me whenever I re-read the comic - it managed to capture the essences of the OT, PT and the KotOR games while still bringing plenty of original content to the table. Well, that's how I felt about it anyway. Legacy was one of the first EU stories that I read; prior to that my EU experience was almost entirely from the video games, which is why I mentioned KotOR. The fact that Legacy respected previously established lore and expanded it was icing on the cake.
    Agreed, nothing more to add.

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I remember reading Issue #0 and my jaw just hitting the absolute floor. It was amazing to see the story striking off in new directions that were firmly rooted in what came before, so much so that some of the new developments almost seemed inevitable.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    all the comments get me real excited about this readthrough!!! :D

I think I'd like it since it would bridge the gap per say, but I don't have access to it on Marvel Unlimited and I don't want to buy just that one comic

Nobody145, kalzeth and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I kept the Ania Solo series...it will be interesting when you reach them!

Nobody145, kalzeth, spicer and 3 others like this.
  10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    So #0 isn't a story comic so much as it is kind of an "essential guide" style look at concept art and the major characters and institutions involved in the story. It's all stage setting, but it was so exciting to see the new stuff.

kalzeth, Ghost and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    okay so Issue 1 review time

1) the backstory
    • admittedly, this is a total drop in situation, leaves a few questions like how did Krayt accomplish this? how exactly did the GA fall? quick and easy which would be total loser or at least put up fight? but it does accomplish what it needs to, tell us state of galaxy and gets me hooked for the events of this series
    • did like to hear that Luke basically had a pretty decent rest of his life post FOTJ, the stuff really makes it sound like he had a successful career though which I do think is questionable really based off events of NJO/TDN/LOTF/FOTJ haha

2) so opening scene is the Temple attack...
    • I really like the art style!!!
    • admittedly I was shocked to see it be a young Cade with other more adult characters, nothing wrong with it at all, it's a great setup and makes sense for Cade's future story, just I'd heard Cade was the main character, wasn't expecting other characters to be the "leaders" at the moment but nothing wrong with that
    • I love Cade though, admittedly, I'm more of this type of person myself, I don't buy that "total obedience" is inherently the best Jedi trait, if I thought I could make a difference, and people I cared about in need, I'd definitely try to help (seeing I don't accept PT belief)….you just can't do EVIL things along the way is my only thing, so we'll see about Cade in the future on this part but for now, I'm all for what he did up until....
    • I loved that we already get some other Jedi heroes mentioned (and at least in pics some non-human Jedi students, hopefully will become more prominent over time)
    • Kol and Sazen are super cool and I absolutely love the name Wolf!!!
    • if Kol is dead, what a sad but great backstory/motivation for Cade
    • great mystery but leaves me wondering, who are the bad guy Sith?? especially the awesome looking "white" one
    • so Cade bringing Sazen back to life....awesome cool new Force power but as always does open some questions about lack of it previous in other useful situations but a constant issue with SW, need new stuff but creates this issue, bigger issue is obviously it's a dark side power, which makes sense I guess since it'd be tied to "extreme attachment" which I do think is bad even if "attachment" shouldn't be
    • I actually really am excited about a story about a gray Jedi who has to learn to walk the balance b/t the Light and the Dark and maybe have a different philosophy where not everything that seems "dark" actually is, I hope this is where this story goes with Cade!!! but even if it's just the learning process for normal Jedi belief, as long as Cade isn't just a Vader retelling I'll be interested
    • the only disappointing part about Cade's "death" is obviously he isn't (which is good), so there's no shock value in it, but hopefully it'll help with the above point storywise
    this series is gonna take some time, so I'm not gonna rush it, I know there is still the Temple stuff, but I don't want to just make each post extremely long so I'll go into it more after some posts on this

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The GA falling, I think is in the next few issues IIRC. But the explanation makes sense once you get to it.

kalzeth, Hopeless and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    All your questions will be answered, and answered in a satisfying way. They actually planned this series.

kalzeth, AusStig, Nobody145 and 5 others like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Great to see you've got to this material Sam.

The best way to see the time jump is that it is 100 years after TUF, that's it, stuff the other stuff that happened.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree, I remember going into my local comics shop (which isn't really local, is about a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic) Wednesday afternoon to pick it up immediately, and reading through it while sitting in my car in the parking lot, and being super excited to get back home to talk about it online (I think the old NJOE forums, now sadly defunct... talk about memory lane).

It didn't hurt that issue 0 came out a week after Betrayal kicked off the Legacy era, so there was a lot of fun combing through the issue to see hints of just how they would connect. But that's a discussion for later in this thread, I'm sure....

Legacy, especially the early issues, are I think the only time I remember hearing other people in my comic shop talking about Star Wars comics (aside from when I would chat about them to the owner when I went in to pick them up). The "rock band" covers of the first arc I think had a really striking effect, each one highlighting a different segment of the core cast.

Absolutely! I remember at the time there was a lot of talk about how Legacy actually integrated the feeling and character and even general plotlines of the OT and PT in a way that, for example, DNT completely failed to do. KOTOR is another good example of that, too, which I think is why it seems to pair naturally with Legacy. Along with the fact that I think Jan and John were originally offered the chance to do the KOTOR comic by Randy Stradley, and chose the future comic instead.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Tell me about it.

Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.
  17. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    sorry, typo earlier, I know there is still the Coruscant stuff

18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    "I have Broken the spine of the galaxy"

Such a great intro. It really grabbed my attention and interest (I mean it was a comic with the GA falling a 'good' Empire and a legion of Bad@$$ Sith, so I was keen anyway)

I always thought the holocron would have more appearances.

Broken is my fav part of Legacy and I think one of the strongest openings to a comic ever.

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The first page of issue #1 is simply amazing. Krayt's thoughts accompanied by the art really sets the mood. Red Ossus skies, Predator-class TIE fighters flying by the Jedi Temple...perfection.

20. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    The art is incredible and I love it from the get go. Good intros and unique personalities as Kol is distinct from Luke and Cade from Kol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Btw, @OutsiderJediSam, this isn't a spoiler, but in case you're wondering about generations, it's:

Shmi
    Anakin with Padme
    Luke with Mara === Leia with Han
    Ben with ??? ==== Jaina with Jag Fel
    ? ============= Emperor Fel the 2nd
    Kol with ___ ==== Roan Fel with _____
    Cade ========= Marasiah

It's never 100% confirmed there's another Skywalker between Ben and Kol, some thing Kol could be Ben's son... but Ben would have to be about 70 when Kol was born for that to work. Or, more likely, he had a kid around 30-40, who then had Kol around the same age.

Dr. Steve Brule and kalzeth like this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember the summer of 2006 fondly, when #0 was on sale for... 25 cents I think? As a special preview issue. Maybe when you reach issue #30 or so you can read up on # .5, that's kind of like an updated #0 (with extra spoilers). I know .5 is available on comixology.

The first issue was a big shock. Although I have a few problems with yet another Jedi purge, but at least it was decades after the Vong War and it was implied that there were actually enough Jedi to count as another purge, compared to the LotF time frame.

And it was cool seeing Krayt with his Sith lieutenants. Too bad about Kol, but that's what usually happens to mentors, he was too cool to live for long. It was such an exciting new era, building on everything that came before. It didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped, but it was still very good.

kalzeth, AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I collected issues 1-13 or so when the series first came out. Walden Books went out of business and Barnes & Noble was spotty at times.
    First time I started collecting an actual series from the get-go and not the TPB

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    With regards to generations, I was always of the belief that Kol had to have been born sometime around 75 ABY. This means Ben would be nearly fifty if he was the father. So I'm not as sure of that unless Ben married and sired children late. If there was an intermediate generation this would mean Ben married and fathered children young and then died or the intermediate Skywalker between Ben and Kol must have died relatively young. The timelines though are tricky to work with. More than a few NJO-C era characters could potentially be alive in legacy though of advanced age. I spend quite a lot of time calculating ages and dates for this but it's difficult to pin these things down specifically, impossible really.

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that Cade was 16 in 130 ABY, if that helps any.

kalzeth likes this.