main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Chuck Wendig fired

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There's already talk about this in the Marvel thread, but I think this needs its own discussion.

This is such shocking news and for such a terrible reason.

2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I DOUBT Marvel or LFL will actually comment on this, but it will be very interesting to read what they say, if they do.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Sixes likes this.
  3. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    This is so incredibly frustrating.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Weird. Who wants to bet that we suddenly get a load of youtube videos saying that this is a sign that "Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy are soon to be fired!!!!!"

Man the internet sucks these days.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

To repeat; I liked his Aftermath stuff but if he is going to dare to say he was fired due to an anti-LGBT agenda I will be very unimpressed. Marvels lead SW woman is Dr Aphra - a lesbian/bisexual. How very dare he use that card to justify his firing.

How unprofessional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    This is really sad. Seems like he just got canned for Marvel so it doesn't necessarily rule out books in the future, right?

7. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    And to repeat, a thousand percent not what he said, as shown in the very first post of this thread.

FS26 likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, he said he was also taken off of a book. Don’t know if that’s a comic book or a novel.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He seems to be saying specifically that this was from Marvel and was the call of that Marvel editor.

I don’t get it. Even if (even if!) you put aside the reasons for the firing, it’s not like his social media behavior was new. He’s always tweeted like this, even before he got the new Vader series.

And then for the reasons — Wendig cites vulgarity and negativity. What? It’s his personal twitter account.

Disappointing. I feel bad for him. And I wonder at the chilling effect this has on other writers.

Edit: Sinre, that’s not what he said and it’s worth pointing out Marvel SW has a new editorial team.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  10. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Is this a repeat of the James Gunn fiasco? Is Wendig going to be announced as a writer for Star Trek next month? This is greatly disappointing. While I'm aware his work wasn't to everyone's taste, he has been one of my favorite SW writers in recent years. This seems to have been a Marvel, not LF or Disney decision, though, which sadly kinda fits that company's decisions of recent years

11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    This editor hasn’t always worked with him though. There was an editorial change this year around the time Heather Antos left, Jordan White went to X-Men. A new editor, Mike, was brought in and it appears they have worked through the backlog of work that Jordan had put in plan.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

KerkKorpil and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Yeah, this fits right in with the recent cancellation of Chelsea Cain's "Vision" book two months before it came out.

Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Real big shame this. He brought us Sinjir and Mr Bones after all , two great characters plus did Sloane justice imo

14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I just saw this on Twitter - I feel bad for him, it really is like the bullies win when stuff like this happens. His Tweets, personal account or not, do reflect on the company when you have a job that kind of puts you in a spotlight, so I can see why Marvel would maybe want to distance themselves from some of the vulgarity....but there should have been a conversation with him first, letting him know they didn't like the attention his Tweets brought. Firing him like this without warning, while their right, just seems wrong to me. I can't imagine having any kind of a high profile job right now while also having a Twitter account that you want to use to express anything personal at all.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He did not say it at all, or he said it and then clarified the reason for his firing?

Because if he said it at all, I don’t see why he said it at all. Genuinely, I’m confused.

16. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    He said it to establish why ComicsGate hates him. Marvel publishing as a corporate entity may not have an anti-LGBT agenda, but their current leadership has bowed several times to rabidly-anti-anyone-not-them ComicsGaters "demands".

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Wow, who knew having an argumentative, abrasive, profanity-spewing online persona for years might eventually have an impact on your employment by the notoriously controversy-averse megacompany who employs you?

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    He brought up LGBT to reference why certain fans were harassing him, and why he was uncivil toward them. He was giving context. He was saying, hey remember that time I put LGBT characters in my book? Well, certain anti-LGBT fans came at me with lots of nastiness, and I went back at them with lots of vulgarity. Stuff like that is why I was fired.

Or, that's how I read it. I don't do twitter.

19. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    If you limit your argumentative profanity-spewing abrasiveness to women who critique your work, you can be Dan Slott and write Spider-Man for the better part of a decade.

Xammer, jSarek, TheRedBlade and 5 others like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Sure. And then he also had the attitude that anyone who disliked his book for any reason had to be a homophobe and therefore disliking him was proof that you were part of a vast homophobic conspiracy against him. Didn't like his plot? You were actually homophobic. Didn't like his choppy writing? Turns out you were a homophobe the whole time.

21. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    In case there was any confusion about Chuck's wording in his first tweet "an unannounced book" is not referring to a novel. Just to provide clarity.

22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I forgot about that, probably one of those times he could of toned it down on the twitter.

SithOverlord101 and Vezner like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He literally wrote a giant blog post that said that if you didn’t like the writing or his style that’s fine, he wasn’t talking about you. Please don’t be disingenuous.

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    It's great that he wrote that blog post. It also doesn't change the fact of what he and his fans said elsewhere, including on this very forum. Please don't try to whitewash his actions.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    He’s responsible for what other users said? Or posts on this forum?

Brule, I’m sorry if you feel that you or anyone else was unfairly tarred and feathered. Doing the same isn’t helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.