main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My account is older than most of the people who come to this forum.

Discussion in 'Archive: Anniversary Forum' started by bobadan, Oct 19, 2018.

1. bobadan

bobadan Jedi Master

Jun 25, 2001
    That is all.

2. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  3. bobadan

bobadan Jedi Master

Jun 25, 2001
    Man I meant to put "age" in the title. My account is older than the age of most users who come here.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    cool story bobadan.

Master_Rebado and DarthTunick like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Harrumph. Is this your lawn or my lawn? Get off it anyway. Harrumph again.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And two out of your three posts on this old account are in this thread.

Ananta Chetan and Diggy like this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    one time, i saw a bear.

Diggy likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    From your content I can only imagine that your contribution to the world also far surpasses that of the people who are younger than your account.

Diggy likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What a glorious return this is.

JoinTheSchwarz and EHT like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The entire purpose of creating all of the Anniversary forums was in hopeful anticipation of exactly this.

Darkslayer, Diggy , EHT and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hernault

Hernault Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 5, 1999
    [face_coffee]
    (why don't we have beer emojis?)

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    These oldbies keep popping up and shocking the regulars!

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Mines the average age of the teens here........ ;)

Master_Rebado likes this.
  15. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm only 31 and my account is from 2002 when I was 15. I actually made a few accounts around that time on other Lucasfilm-related sites. It's not necessarily just 'older' people here who have accounts older than some members!

And I was treated very much like a teenage fangirl (a Han/Leia 'shipper! someone who didn't love the EU or the prequels! blasphemy!) who was invading the boys' club. I definitely have added sympathy for the new fans who struggle to prove they're more than Johnny-come-latelys.

And now I'm an oldie who gets to point at her join date.

I think I got so used to being part of dated, middle-aged male-dominated fandoms where I was the lone young female intruder (Star Wars, Elvis, Doctor Who... at least the Buffy/Angel fandom had females) that I got pretty shocked when I felt like a dinosaur in places like Tumblr (how many hadn't seen the Star Wars OT or Indiana Jones pre-TFA was amazing) and some of the truly young fandom cultures of today. My entertainment tastes made me feel like grandma. When I talked to people who had seemingly never seen anything from before they born (which wasn't long ago), it was surprising. I don't think the teens/20-somethings right now watched nearly as much archive television and films as people my age and older did (we of the VHS generation where the family library wasn't just new releases). Not to mention, I was already aware amongst my school peers that my knowledge of music showed the age of my parents. Pop-culture references went whoosh over the heads.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You should visit the SW thread in the JCC. I think you'll feel at home.

17. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Back in the early 2000s, the fandom was different. If you ignored the EU because you felt it went against where you believed the story was headed (Han/Leia fans notoriously hated Courtship) and it had become bogged down in everything but a simple dramatic story about a family, you weren't a real fan. And the fandom really was super Prequel-centric while the Prequels were still being made. In 2002, that was the case.

The fandom is different now because of the Sequels. The EU has become Legends and is no more. The new trilogy is no longer the same one. The Sequel Trilogy is definitely more attached to the Original Trilogy than the Prequel Trilogy, which also changes the characters being focused on and how things are discussed.

Back then, you could hardly move in the fandom without hearing that the entire saga was really just all about Anakin, even though the Original Trilogy clearly wasn't. Vader wasn't but Tarkin's 2-dimensional lackey in the original film (that's the sort of thing that got lost in that rewrite). There was a lot of revisionism going on. One of the biggest negatives for me with that rewrite was it was really popular to proclaim Han Solo a completely irrelevant character who didn't matter because he didn't have the Force (or sperm donor at best in the EU) and even Leia was treated badly because she wasn't part of the Luke/Anakin plot and wasn't the important "Skywalker" because she didn't use the name (even though she was one). With the Sequel Trilogy, the then-popular rewrite of the Original Trilogy to fit that Prequel narrative lens just evaporated. Flash forward to now and Han/Leia are the parents of the prodigal son, not Luke, and Vader is nothing but a melted helmet whose legacy leaves a lasting shadow, but the story has continued and even switched that focus now onto other familial connections.

The fandom has plenty of the same members, but the focus of the fandom and how many old characters are viewed in terms of their importance have changed again. And the loss of the EU has refocused the fandom back to basics.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018