main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Resistance Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 25, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Hey, thanks for asking! I think the animation in Resistance is better than it was in Rebels and TCW.

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This is giving me a DS9 sort of vibe. Other SW cartoons were more about the Republic vs Separatists in TCW and the Ghost Crew in Rebels. This seems like all these disparate characters with individual motivations could be given center stage and still be interesting.

Edit for other thoughts....
    I really wish they were going to be more serial with this as opposed to episodic. That was a great thing about TCW. They were not hampered by a 22 minute timeframe to tell the story and could put more into it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Question: How long before the series moves the setting from that barge in the middle of the ocean to another planet (or at least its atmosphere)? Didn't Rebels spend a few episodes before it finally moved off of Lothal?

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    People were looking for ways to bash rebels back then. It's not a recent development for it to be the 'cool thing' to hate all things new in Star Wars. In season 1 they had a lot of Lothal of course, but there was also Kessel, Garel, Anaxes and Mustafar. I'm sure we can expect the same with Resistance.

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    They may keep it on Castilon and space to save some money.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Looks like next Sunday, Oct 28. Sneak peek shows Poe and Kaz doing stuff in a different location...

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    7 seconds in....what is that ship??

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Looks like a space station of some kind. Kylo’s ship to the left.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  10. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I hope this show gets better.
    To be honest, it really can get much worse. [face_phbbbbt]
    I'll give it one more chance...then I'm out.

vong333 likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I gave it a three-episode chance (well, I guess four episodes, technically, since the first one was a two-parter). I'm done, unless I start hearing things about it becoming a lot better at some point.

vong333 likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The 5th episode apparently dramatically ups the stakes, taking Kaz off the fuel station and into First Order space with Poe. Which I think is where the show is headed in general. So I suspect the first four episodes may be the least representative episodes of the series. Will report back after next Sunday if this is the case.

DarthHass and EHT like this.
  13. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    Episodes descriptions for November. The last one is a little spoiler-y.

http://rebelcels.com/star-wars-resistance-episode-titles-descriptions-for-november/

Sunday, Nov. 4

Star Wars Resistance “The Children from Tehar”

(10:00 – 10:30 P.M. EST)

Kaz searches for two missing children for a sizeable reward only to discover the First Order is also hunting for them.

*Gwendoline Christie (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”) returns as Captain Phasma.

Saturday, Nov. 10

Star Wars Resistance “Signal from Sector Six”

When out on a routine training exercise, a distress signal sends Kaz and Poe to a damaged ship with strange lifeforms onboard.

*Oscar Isaac (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”) returns as Poe Dameron

Sunday, Nov. 18

Star Wars Resistance “Synara’s Score”

On a mission to repair a vital platform defense, Kaz befriends the mysterious Synara and comes under attack by pirates. *Jim Rash (“Community”) and Bobby Moynihan (“DuckTales”) return as Flix and Orka, respectively.

Sunday, Nov. 25

Star Wars Resistance “The Platform Classic”

An upcoming race reunites Yeager with his estranged brother, Marcus, who needs to win to pay off his debt to a criminal organization.

14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    getting into some interesting stuff.
    Children from Tehar sounds like one we wont want to miss

15. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I’m looking forward to more Phasma. I want to see her utilized more. But I don’t want her to become your typical foiled villain. Give us some complexity that the ensemble episode movies couldn’t give us.

podjazd likes this.
  16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That is what Pyre is for....

podjazd likes this.
  17. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    And Vonreg.

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. I liked her comic run a lot. This show can expand upon the character in interesting ways, even though the movie version isn’t anything special.

19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  20. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    eye was excited 2 see phasma and bossk .. eye want more of that ... main character is a bratty and really dumb teenager .. makes it hard to enjoy ... not sure i like the white outline or excessive light source computer animation everywhere .. other parts of the animation are kinda cool .. not a good sign when bb8 is the most enjoyable character to watch ... i ****in hate bb8 ... i do like that there are not much jedi or force kinda stuff ... sometimes the jedi have too much power and it stops being believable or realistic .. there has to be struggle and tension to enjoy jedi .. thanos level jedi are no good ... maybe we will learn more about snoke and kylo .. luke han .. leia already mentioned so that is cool .. i really don't like how all these new star wars outlets try to create new characters when they have great characters we all want more of ... so much money time and effort going into boring one dimensional disposable characters .. its like they cant even milk a franchise the right way

21. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    I'm enjoying the series so far, i love the new animation style and I like Kaz a whole lot more than I did Ezra at this stage and it's a nice change to have a main character in star wars who actually has parents. At this stage it's pretty light hearted which was needed I feel after this past year, and we're still meeting characters - we haven't met most of the pilots yet, and I'm sure the stakes will ramp up throughout the series, so i'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

podjazd likes this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I’ve got to admit, I agree. This show isn.t jiving with me. It’s very duffy, comparing this to TCW and Rebels is wrong. Those shows were good, even though their first seasons were slow, they were in my opinion better than this so far. I can,t stomach Katz and his bumbling growing into a man spy thing. I’m going to give it the first eleven episodes, after thAt if there is no change I’m out.

That’s been Disney Star Wars anyway with the force powers. Can’t change that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2018
    EHT and cwustudent like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    TCW was still incredibly bad by this point. And Rebels wasn’t much better, though the early Ezra story was a little less awkward than Kaz’s bumbling spy story, which is an odd choice. Just based on previews of new episodes, and the final trailer, it looks like this is going to pick up considerably soon. So not worth writing it off yet. We’ll see...

podjazd likes this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    As someone who prefers TCW over Rebels, but still got into SW cartoons thanks to Rebels.... I do feel Rebels was much better at this point. You see, when Rebels came out I was in a complete non-SW mood, but somehow bumped into the show and found it entertaining and pleasant enough to keep watching. In the midst of watching it, I came across with TCW references, which led me to register in these forums to ask for TCW abridged viewing advice. Then I watched TCW, fell in love with it, and… still love it.

I have been a vocal critic of Rebels (after watching what they did in TCW) but I have also defended it from what I perceived to be unfair and biased criticism, because I still do think it was a good show and despite my preferences, in some areas it did better than TCW.

Resistance, however, it feels like it’s recycling from rejected Rebels filler episodes, and I have to force myself to keep watching it, as I’m still operating on the belief that it gets better.

Yes, TCW was bad at this point, but that was in 2008, a whole decade ago. Things improved since then in like, you know, storytelling and presentation. Rebels had a good start, a better start than TCW and Resistance. One is excusable for being the 2008 experiment, the other isn’t. Not saying that Resistance is a bad show per se, but what it has done so far is the bare minimum, lazy storytelling, which is hardly commendable.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Vizzy91 likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think storytelling necessarily improves as time passes. So you really have to judge these as they come. And as TCW was still limp and annoying at this stage, and Rebels was also not a shining beacon of entertainment at this point, I think placing Resistance in that context makes sense. I believe they are intentionally pursuing a slow burn, and that it will ratchet up as it nears and then surpasses the TFA timeline. The only structural problem that worries me, though, is that the concept of an incompetent spy may not be a strong concept in this format. Unless you’re going full-on Johnny English parody with it, it’s a potentially bad foundation. And could be the show’s downfall.

La Calavera likes this.