main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #20-25: The Catastrophe Con (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, May 18, 2018.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean... what a way to go.

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I wonder if Tam 100% dead. The solicitation for Issue 28 mentions a undead bounty hunter pursuing Aphra and Trip, and his cyborg nature may have helped him survive in some form. Although I guess he was on the prison ship still when it crashed into the planet, unless he found another escape.

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I thought the same reading that solicitation! "The deranged undead bounty hunter." I really thought the hookspore swarm was gonna possess him in this issue and maybe even run him into Vader -- one more misery to throw on the flaming pile of agonies that was/is his life. :(

I know it's too easy to compare Vader to the Terminator, but Aphra sure sounded like Kyle Reese to me in the opening pages:

Props to Zed42 on Wookieepedia for picking this up from issue #20:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Chelli got issues. That's all.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Even more so following the events of this issue, no doubt.

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I would so love to see a horror film following Triple Zero around.

Foreign32567, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, that was one of the best plot twists in canon. At least in the canon comics. Great issue, and very emotional. Aprha is fantastically written - not easy to make the protagonist be a bad person, yet still be invested in them.
    It's quite disturbing to think that anyone is stuck with a maniac like 000. Poor Aphra...

8. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    What happened? Who died?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This really was pretty hardcore. On one hand Aphra's decision seems totally reprehensible, but on the other hand wouldn't you throw someone under the bus to save your own skin if you only had a short stint with them? It's kinda understandable from that perspective.

I greatly enjoyed Vader's interaction with Tolvan, they shared some sort of kinship. Evazan and Triple Zero were great too, 000 is now officially one of the scariest villains of Star Wars, for me he even tops Palpatine. He's just so unbelievably psycho. Unbelievable. They almost never directly show what he does, but the implication is more than enough...

All around superb issue.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    That's a great catch.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Wow. I think we can officially say that this series and character have been planned in a rarely "long game" way, and that it's all adding up to some of the most compelling and quirky storytelling in the new canon. And I say that as someone who really doesn't like much "grimdark" in my SW, which is odd considering how very brutal this issue was... in this case it feels earned. Plus there's been humor all along... I'm even more eager than ever to see where this all goes.

RIP Tam Poszla (probably) -- really wanted to know a bit more about what your whole deal was.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    RIP BT-1

I know everyone is great about using spoiler tags, but can we not talk about issues/solicitations beyond the current arc titled in this thread? I don't want to read what may potentially be happening in #28 when I'm expecting to read thoughts on the latest issue.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and revan772 like this.
  14. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I didn't think that I could love this series anymore.... then that last issue happened. I need more of this series.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    well that was something. Something AMAZING

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Agreed that 000 is creepier than Palps. And sometimes when he taunts Aphra, it's like that meme based on Cyanide and Happiness strip "Does your dog bite?" "No, but he can hurt you in other ways."
    #25 gave me the shivers.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I found this particular splash page to be the most chilling scene with 000-
    Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.59.59 PM.png

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Can we please somehow get Triple Zero in a Yuuzhan Vong story?
    That would be amazing to see.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You evil, evil man - whatever did the Vong do to deserve that? (Well, some of them? Plenty)

I agree it'd be funny.

More generally, a thanks to everyone posting, I'm using this thread to decide whether or not to get OHC2 - sounds like I should as this sounds like an actual long-form story.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Triple Zero being offended or pleased by the Yuuzhan Vong killing droid life (which, he is included in) and life in general with as much vigor as he has and the Yuuzhan Vong being ticked off that some infidel machinery is as destructive as they are.
    It would be glorious.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, are spoilers always bad? I'd say not as based on the chatter here I checked out a review of #25 - wow, quite the tale. I quite like the idea that it is Aphra's own actions that have become her undoing.

How is this spoiler info beneficial? Because I really like the sound of it, it is incentive for me to read the parts that lead to it and, unless OHC2 is massive, this'll be in OHC3.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Did aphra use the lightsaber like in the cover? If she did was it the bluish aqua one? I still haven't gotten my issue yet

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    She lit the old hookspore-host Jedi's saber, which was greenish in hue. As for how she used it:

She lit it in anger to threaten Tam Posla, who had returned to Accresker Jail to arrest her, and it immediately sputtered out, as it's "been covered in space mold a couple thousand years."

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Thanks for the info, cant wait for the issue

Senpezeco likes this.
  25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    a) That would be amazing.
    b) I'm pretty sure I'd root for the Yuuzhan Vong...

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.