main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Resistance Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 25, 2018.

1. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    There is no doubt that TCW had a relatively slow start, Rookies aside, but went on to give us some of the best Star Wars content in the later seasons.

Rebels started well but didn’t have the same level of progression as TCW.

I’m hoping that Resistance follows TCW!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    OK, so just got done watching the latest episode “The High Tower” with the nephew. The first half (and the end) features a lot of the bumbling Kaz stuff, and the listless character tensions, that you’ll likely continue to find annoying. But the middle included the best material so far, including a level of political complexity we’ve not yet seen (not even in the ST, in my view). And the very end included an unusually complex and adult theme. Won’t spoil it, but everyone is happy with a change that improves their daily lives, but Kaz knows it comes at a moral cost.

This episode, more than any, makes me think the show will be worth watching, particularly with kids ages 8-15 or so. And as far as I understand the progression of the season, these more mature themes are likely to increase significantly.

Would recommend giving it a shot, with the caveat that you’ll be annoyed by bits of it. I get the distinct feeling that there’s a really, really good show in there, but the creators don’t trust their audience’s intelligence enough to dispense with the slapstick antics. Just when it’s getting good, bam, human Jar Jar appears for good measure. It’s unfortunate, but I got the feeling it would become less and less of a feature. The story seems to be suggesting, with this episode, that Kaz is getting smarter.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    podjazd, Outsourced, MrDarth0 and 2 others like this.
  3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I don't think Kaz is stupid and I can kinda understand why he's acting like an idiot sometimes. He's completely out of his element as a mechanic and spy on the Colossus. The guy is obviously an excellent fighter pilot, and the moment he'll get an access to a good ship, he'll show of his talents.

Even that race in the first episode, if his ship wouldn't crash, he would have won. He's probably already better pilot than most, if not all of the Aces.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. But you touch on a core problem people have with the show. If he’s a pilot with no experience in spying (or in his cover job, mechanic) why...give him such a mission? The only decent answer I can come up with is that the Collosus is full of hotshot pilots, so he’ll fit in there as a pilot himself. But then...why make him a mechanic?

Chris0013 and MrDarth0 like this.
  5. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    The real world answer probably is that the creators of the show wanted a character they felt children would identify with and that can be used to convey growing up lessons.

The in universe answer is more tricky. Perhaps Poe sees leadership potential in Kaz and he sent him there to learn about responsibility and the life of "normal" people out there in the galaxy.

My personal theory is that we'll find out that Jarek Yeager used to be Poe's instructor back in the NR Academy, before he retired and moved to Colossus. Kaz probably reminds Poe of himself when he was younger, so he sent him to Colossus to learn from his old mentor. It fits with the whole master-apprentice dynamic that's at the core of Star Wars and was at the core of TCW and Rebels as well.

6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Which is why I say they should have given him a better cover story. And been given some basic training in spycraft. But not doing that makes him both the "star" of the show...and the comic relief as well.

As for the race?? He was pushed into a race he did not want, to pay for parts for a ship that was not his with money he did not have so had to get substandard parts that were not capable of the job, that crapped out at the start of the race and failed when he pushed them.

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed completely. That’s my justification as well. Could have been executed better, but it works for me.

DarthHass likes this.
  8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I think having him be a mechanic is a great cover job. Putting a wrench in one's hand is a great diversionary tactic. People see a tool, and they automatically think there's a task at hand that's being worked on. The mechanic is concentrating on what's under the hood, and doesn't have the scope to focus on anything else. Throw in the bumbling spy, à la Johnny English, The Man Who Knew Too Little, Spy Time, the OSS-117 films (both Cairo: Nest of Spies, and Lost in Rio), and that's the making of some good fun. Those last three are quite good, the OSS-117 ones in particular, starring Jean Dujardin.
    Take away the wrench and replace it with a clipboard (tablet), and the perceived scope of that individual changes. That person is looking at everything and taking notes. Not that a spy would walk around with a clipboard...... although, Mike in Better Call Saul does something similar.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    However some competency in being a mechanic would help him sell it more...Kind of like Wildcat in Tailspin.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    That's a good example! Resistance needs Jim Cummings immediately. As for Kaz, I can excuse his mechanical incompetency, bcs that's a cover job, but not his attitude. I want his attitude to change before his father's death, not bcs of it.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Random thought I just had.

Luke
    was a moisture farmer. He didn't want to be a moisture farmer. He wanted to screw around with his friends. He wanted to join the Academy and get off the planet. Yoda criticized him in Empire that his mind was never on where he was or what he was doing. It's because he didn't want to be where he was and he didn't want to be doing what he was doing.

Kaz is doing what he wants to do - he's a pilot and he's good at it. But now that he's been given a job to be a spy while posing as a mechanic - he doesn't want to be a mechanic and he sucks at it. He's tries to spy and he sucks at it. He's essentially the inverse of Luke.

So what I can't figure out is why I enjoyed watching Luke's journey in the OT and so far I'm not enjoying Kaz's.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    We got one movies worth of whiny Luke but get we bumbling Kaz every week for the next few years. The weekly format makes character arcs more of a grind.
    Luke was a different character in each movie. In ANH he was a neophyte. In ESB he was a soldier. In RoTJ, he is a Jedi.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    cwustudent and TiniTinyTony like this.
  13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I love that you're comparing Kaz to Luke.
    Kaz needs a Yoda to teach him how to spy.
    Luke cared about joining the Rebellion and becoming a Jedi, so I did, too. If Kaz cared about being a mechanic, then he could build his own ship, and then spy and fly. But, like you said, Kaz doesn't care. Should I?

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Kaz seems to care about his spy mission quite a bit. And being in the Resistance, which he’s always wanted (against his controlling father’s wishes). Those are his equivalents to Luke wanting to become a Jedi. Not the mechanic cover story, or the piloting. So because Kaz cares about the spy mission for the Resistance, I care about that. The mechanic stuff is just a sideshow.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The Children from Tehar preview images.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MrDarth0 likes this.
  17. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    So why is a trooper in gold armour answering to a trooper in silver one? Shouldn't it be the other way around? :)

18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    it might be bronze. There's also a story to Phasma's armor.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    So it was confirmed its gold by starwars.com. No explanation so far why though.

Was Phasma's silver armour first and all the other elite stormtroopers just started coying her?

20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am thinking it is about rank. All troopers are equally expendable to the FO...but you achieve distinction and senior rank you are awarded a "command armor" that has a distinct color.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  21. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Phasma's armor is chromium. Which is not only very valuable in the GFFA, but also has other properties that would be considered when making armor, such as superior strength. Perhaps Pyre's gold armor is also chromium (like C-3PO's gold chromium finish)? Or maybe it's just gold plating on a different alloy selected for it's specific properties?

Either way, imo there are other reason's besides looks or monetary value that would necessitate various alloys being used as armor.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  22. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I was about to say that maybe the GFFA has different values for metals, but then I remembered that gold has also been depicted as valuable currency or jewelry. So… eh.

I thought that armor was bronze. It should’ve been bronze, starward dot com.

vw_jedi likes this.
  23. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Could all just be different colors of chromium.

vw_jedi likes this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  25. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    that freighter looks like the decoy transports used by Nym's Revenants in Star Wars: Starfighter. Neat.

MercenaryAce and podjazd like this.