main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Celtic Song Challenge|All New Songs Now Claimed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pandora, Jan 14, 2017.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All right, the index list in post #2 should now be up to date with everyone's stories. What an incredible bumper crop this challenge has yielded! I need to get up to date on reviewing these; it may take me a bit, but I fully intend to.

One quick question for AzureAngel2: do I have everything of yours accurately listed in the index? Just wanting to make sure, since I know some of the individual stories in your series exist in multiple threads/versions, etc., and so everything can be listed correctly. Thanks! :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Just 14. & 15. were mine. Thanks for asking!

Findswoman likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Please can I have one of the two remaining songs?

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  5. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    earlybird-obi-wan: Please can I have one of the two remaining songs?

You certainly may!

I have done a coin toss--and of the last two songs, you have received "The Wearing of the Green." This is a rebel song, a street ballad of the 1798 Irish Rebellion, when green was the colour of the United Irishmen; and apparently, it was a hanging offense (admittedly, this was in the time when one could hang for stealing a silk scarf) to wear the rebellious shamrock in one's hat.

There are many versions of the lyrics. Here are a few.

And a few videos:

John McCormack:

Wolfe Tones:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A perfect song for the Corellian Jedi

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh there's one song left . . . would you mind if I snatched it up? I had so much fun with my last entry, I'm ready to let the muse go again!

The Foggy Dew, it looks like is unclaimed? :D

8. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Mira_Jade: Oooh there's one song left . . . would you mind if I snatched it up? I had so much fun with my last entry, I'm ready to let the muse go again!

I would not mind at all!

You have claimed "The Foggy Dew." This is also a song of rebellion--this time, of the 1916 Easter Rising. (The same rebellion W.B. Yeats wrote of in his poem "Easter, 1916," and you will probably recognize his famous lines. "All changed, changed utterly:/A terrible beauty is born.")

Lyrics

Videos:

Sinéad O'Connor and The Chieftains:

Wolfe Tones:

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
  11. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
  12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Findswoman and AzureAngel2 like this.
  13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
  14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I wrapped up both Celtic challenges now, each containing 9 vignettes. One thread is for Orson Krennic and the other one for Sheev Palpatine.

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    It's been a while, hasn't it? :p I am posting partly to check on how folks are doing on this one, and partly to return my second prompt (no. 24, "The Cruel Brother") to the pot—it's just turning out not to be my thing thematically. So that one is now available again, for anyone who would like to claim it.

Pandora likes this.
  16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Regretfully, I think I’m going to return my song, too. As much as I love it, I just can’t find a good way to bring it into the GFFA. :(

Findswoman likes this.
  17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Hum, I could try, @Raissa Baiard, with "The Cruel Sister / The Bonnie Swans". How much time do I have and, most important, am I really allowed to do a third one?

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @AzureAngel2: Hum, I could try, @Raissa Baiard, with "The Cruel Sister / The Bonnie Swans". How much time do I have and, most important, am I really allowed to do a third one?

As stated in the rules section, there is a limit of two songs per person--and for now, I don't see a need to change it. If one of the newly released songs is still available in, say, a month's time, we can revisit the issue then. Mainly, I just want to give new people a crack at being part of the challenge.

Of course, if you still want to try writing a story for that song, we do have an ad-hoc section where it would be most welcome.

That written: I haven't been able to come up with a story for my own song, "Black is the Colour," so I am going to relinquish it and try my luck with one of the others. And the coin toss I just did gives me "The Cruel Sister" as my new song.

@Findswoman: Yes, it has indeed been a while. It always pleases me to see this thread sitting in the light of the first page--and especially now, as we approach the haunted late autumn. That's actually my favorite time to listen to Celtic music. So--provided that I either finish, or successfully ignore, stories I have already in progress--I might be finally providing a story for this challenge in the near future.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    See, @Pandora, this is why I asked. I knew there was a reason I could not do it. But I could not remember what it was. Now I keep my fingers crossed for finding somebody! :D

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    @AzureAngel2, you absolutely still can write a story based on that particular song if it inspires you. As @Pandora said:

If you look at the very bottom of the index post, you'll see a section labeled "Unofficial/Ad-Hoc Challenge Entries"—that's where it would be listed, and it would be in good company. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Raissa Baiard likes this.
  21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I will consider that, thanks!

Findswoman likes this.
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Come on. Throw me one.
    Let's see if I can do a short one-sitting bit.

Findswoman likes this.
  23. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @GregMcP: I have done the ritual coin toss, and you have received The Cruel Brother.

Wherein a girl's suitor asks permission to marry her from nearly every member of her family, save one--her brother John! But not her brother John! This turns out to be a serious mistake.

GregMcP and Findswoman like this.
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Good and violent.

A central struggle with this is "why?"
    John! Dude! Why'd you kill your sis? What the hell is wrong with you? A passive aggressive wedding speech would have been sufficient.

It was a similar problem with Dido and Aeneas, where Dido orders her lover to leave and then dies of misery because he does.

WHERE'S YOUR COMMON SENSE PEOPLE?

Findswoman likes this.
  25. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Common sense? This is ballad-land we're in now: where healthy young people die with great speed of broken hearts, and where that fatal heartbreak can be catching. Your "earth logic" has no place here.

But more seriously, there was a quote I read years ago on the internet--I think it was on fantasy author Marie Brennan's livejournal, but don't quote me--that was referring to folktales, but can be applied to the folk ballads as well: that, basically, you can tell that a story/song originated in the folk tradition, rather than that of the literary fairy tale, because there will be so many aspects about it that just don't make any sense.

Also like the folktales, the characters in ballads tend to be archetypes (the beauteous youngest daughter, for example, is seen everywhere in both), rather than what we would see today, after the psychological realism of the 19th-20th centuries, as fully developed characters. Along with that, as you noted, there is oftentimes no explanation for what motivates these characters to make the terrible choices they do. Of course, the ambiguity of these factors is the very thing that makes them so open for various retellings and interpretations.

So no: I haven't any idea just what is wrong with Brother John. But I did read somewhere online that apparently, there are a multitude of songs across different European cultures--including an absurd number of Swedish ones--in which a woman's failure to obtain her brother's permission to marry is the gravest of insults, and a fatal one at that. So I'm thinking there may well be something there--a subtext earlier audiences knew without having to be explicitly told--that we just no longer have the cultural context to see.

And thus ends my lecture for today.

GregMcP and Findswoman like this.