main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexism policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I am the brave mod that edited the meme out just before leaving for work in the morning and didn't immediately ban and yes, I should have right then. Unfortunately I looked at the time and realized I needed to leave for work, also didn't realize the boards no longer have the 'lasted edited by' on posts.

When I got home yes, there's another another post and I finally ban.

So really it had nothing to do with my spine, which is quite fine, as are my moral choices and I thank you for your concern of both. I do apologize that it seemed to create such havoc with users here. I will certainly edit correctly with my name or initials and be quicker on the ban in the future.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well gosh, this is the kind of problem that happens when we allow our mods to have real lives. We should do something about that. I propose that all mods be chained to their computers with eyes held open Clockwork Orange-style, 24/7. That will make everything all better. :rolleyes:

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not when the boards go for an extended hike..

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I bet Rainbow Serpent's unban request is ****ing hilarious.

Chewgumma likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Spare my the hyperbole, and see the bigger picture.

What do you think it says to our people of colour users when a JC'er can post a virulently racist meme - and I saw it, did you? - and the JC'er is still posting 12hrs later?

It is not the first time a racist image has been posted and the only consequence is its removal, not the removal of the poster.

Moreover, it is not unreasonable for the community to be angered by the way in which that racist sentiment sullies the experience for everyone, and expect more of the people in charge of running it. I'm honestly still not quite sure why the decision to ban wasn't immediately taken, or if time wasn't a factor a quick IM to an admin via social media even to say "pls ban that numpty".

Personally I would hope that anyone who expressed the slightest hint of their own idiocy and uselessness by expressing views on racial hierarchy would be permbanned, with no questions asked and no remorse felt. And, the decision would be made swiftly, without hesitation or remorse - the equivalent of throwing the keys to their cell away.

That's the real outcome sought here; a policy of such rigid intolerance of intolerance that one strike is all you get ahead of permanent exile. Racists can and should **** off.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I can't view his profile, so does that mean his ban was permanent? I hope so.

Also, to be fair, Frieda works at the asscrack of dawn, so IMing somebody probably wasn't an option.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Ender Sai , should we respond the same way to posters who find the sexual abuse of children to be a fit subject for humor?

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Uh... people make jokes about sexually abusing children?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    100% honesty, it tends to be a matter of taking the former software for granted and forgetting that we never had to manually add our names before. Which is not an excuse and we will collectively be working to remember that the software no longer does that for us.

harpua likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I made one just the other day about @dsrth punk and his alter boy days. But it’s more poking fun at the Catholic Church and it’s foul ways than anything else.

I also don’t see the link with that to hate speech about gender/race/religion.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, the Catholic Church is fair game... I'll mock them and their pedophile leaders openly.

CT-867-5309 and Diggy like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Et tu quoque, Brutus? Well then guys until we stop mocking the Catholic Church for their take on George W Bush's education policy, i.e. no child's behind left, then racism can't be stamped out.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So I think one option in that situation (and thank you for clarifying the circumstances) would be a note in the report to ban, rather than clearing the report outright, at least when there is one (which I know there was for this post "for some reason"). That way another mod checking the reports can see that a ban needs to happen and, well, ban the offender.

I want to say there might also be built-in software for that related to the moderation queue feature, but I never quite figured out how that was supposed to work. Could be worth tinkering around with, though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @Ramza we just had a 48hr outage. Tinkering is probably not the last thing we need, but it's low down the list.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Outage was due to a problem at the host, not due to board software. However we are currently having problems detailed in the Tech Question thread.