main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Livin' La Vita Loca: The PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm probably going to take a shot at it as well. The PSX was a complete non-entity in my high school outside of a couple people who had one for FF7 and a mall demo kiosk at EBX or Software Etc that people would play Twisted Metal on for a few minutes before moving onto other stuff. Oh, and there was a PSX demo unit running Crash Bandicoot that was being utterly ignored at a TRU N64 preview event as well (they had a PSX and Saturn with Nights running in the same area to piggback) but at the time it was pretty hard to enjoy Crash after playing SM64 & SOTE.

So it'll be interesting to play through a taste of a to-me-lost-era of gaming on close-to-native hardware (vs emulation, remakes, etc). I made sure the PS2 I got several years later was set up to play PSX games but only really ever used it for Masters Teras Kasi and, at this point, I'd be wary of CD-based media on the used market anyways, so this seems like a good compromise (and if any games truly still hold up, I can look into acquiring copies in good condition at that point or just find modern rereleases at that juncture).

I mean, I'll probably still get a Switch first and a PS4 is still on my to-do list for this generation but I think I can slot this in somewhere.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wild Arms is a weird-ass pull to kick off that list of games. FF7 makes more sense but the original is so thoroughly out-classed by its HD ports (yes, even the one for phones) that it'd just be an amusing obligatory inclusion.

Also I suspect this won’t be remotely close to native, Quest, the form factor and weight are too low for there to be real parts. I'm expecting yet another fancy, locked-down Raspberry Pi setup with a proprietary emulator and front-end a lá the Nintendo boxes. That said, PSX emulation is juuuuuust enough of a hassle I could see the use case for some folks, particularly the nostalgia minded non-enthusiast audience these things seem to attract attention from.

Edit: Jesus wept it doesn't come with an analog controller or an AC adapter? Yuck.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, I see Sony's jumping on the bandwagon. I wonder if there will ever be a chance for a Saturn or Dreamcast Classic. But anyway, yeah, that's one of the weirder parts of the story. With the NES and SNES classic you just it take out of the box, plug it in, and off you go. The controllers are a bit short, but otherwise pretty easy.

With this, for a $100 you can't even turn it on by itself? Well, almost everyone has USB adapters lying around already but still. And so far the lineup isn't quite that attractive. I mean, you can play FF7 on almost anything these days (with Switch and Xbox getting it by next year), and not much can compare to the nostalgia value of Nintendo's library. If they had said they were including Lunar 1/2, then I'd be more excited.

A few PS2 games might interest me more, but it looks like they're porting some of the higher profile ones to PS4 anyway. At least the PS Classic hasn't sold out yet, unlike Nintendo's (although it took years but at least the SNES and NES Classic are finally easily obtainable).

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd probably considering buying it if I didn't already own a fully-working original one. Still have a handful of games for the original PS on my backlog like Chrono Trigger.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I hadn't looked at the details initially but, yeah, it's seeming less enticing at this point. Might just stick to the PS2 backwards compatibility afterall.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    @ me tho.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean it's not exactly a secret that the various classic boxes are marketed towards people who, y'know, don't get so deep into playing older games that they, hypothetically, may have hypothetically set up a hypothetically comprehensive RetroArch set up directly to their hypothetical TVs. Hypothetically.

To say nothing of the original hardware snobs who tend to hate these things with a passion.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's pretty much it. The Nintendo classics don't warrant a purchase from me, simply due to my having most of what's been offered due to either still having the original hardware or from the Wii U Virtual Console. And now with the upcoming release of the fifth and sixth generation editions of "Final Fantasy" on the Switch, there's even less of a reason for me to put down money on this.

But yeah, it's not good that they're not including controllers and a power supply. Sony's learning nothing from Nintendo. At least they're keeping things affordable and with all the necessary accessories.

Ramza likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A small clarification: they do include controllers, but not analog ones. Which I think means they won't include any games that required analog, and games that supported analog will be forced to use their digital modes, both of which suuuuuuuck.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well if you're going for true nostalgia, why bother with analog? The original PS controllers were absolutely NOT analog. You might as well as for the controllers to include a touch pad to be the up to date with the PS4.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its debatable, but some comments I've seen indicate that later Playstation titles were designed with the analog sticks in mind. Its not like the NES and SNES that had the same controller configuration through their lives (and elements of it still endure even today with the Switch Joy-cons), the PS1 was shipping with Dualshock in its later years.

The PS1 is kind of at an awkward age, in terms of nostalgia. Its definitely old, but not as old as the NES and SNES so its aiming for a different age group but still asking for a somewhat big price tag for a nostalgia novelty item that has the less popular controls and doesn't even include a power supply.

Too bad they couldn't have just gone with backwards compatibility or putting more PS1 titles on the PS4 PSN, but guess Nintendo's Classic printing press was too tempting to ignore.

Oh yeah, they announced that the Vita is stopping production in Japan too. Not a surprise of course as it never did super well, but I was fond of that little handheld too.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    How many games will the PS classic be able to play? Is there word that there will be plenty of analog-friendly games; and that you'd be able to buy the analog controller separately? Maybe even wireless?

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's going to be a closed environment of 20 titles - you're only getting games they don't include if you mod the thing yourself (which isn't the case for most of the audience and, I'll be honest, if you know enough to mod the thing you're pirating anyway so maybe buy a Raspberry Pi and do it yourself you fools), so if they're not including the analog controllers it's safe to assume there won't be analog support. Which sucks for at least three games they've already confirmed (Ridge Racer 4, Wild ARMs, and Tekken 3 all control much better with analog), makes some obvious picks a chore to play (Twisted Metal and MGS1 are severely hampered by using digital controls, even though it's "technically" okay to do so), and rules out some classic titles altogether because they required analog (Ape Escape). It's just kind of weird because it seems like an artificial constraint they're placing on themselves even though I don't think anyone's all that nostalgic for the pre-Dualshock controller. They could've easily come up with a faux-Dualshock without rumble if costs were the concern (lol).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Life likes this.
  15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    There actually was an official PS controller with analogue sticks without rumble in its original life cycle called the Dual Analog Controller. It was quickly replaced by the DualShock due to negative feedback about its shape (the handles were apparently too long). So there is precedent for it. Notably, it had concave recesses on the thumbsticks, which would not make a return until DualShock 4.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Life likes this.
  17. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The total lineup of games for the PlayStation Classic has been announced, and it is as follows:

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms
    There are many titles here that ended up being characteristic of the platform to be sure, and some others that I find... somewhat strange choices. Did really that many people play Cool Boarders and Mr Driller so as to include them in this limited line-up of 20 games? Still, a lot of them are sure to cater to the nostalgia of those growing up with a PlayStation. I grew up with a Nintendo 64, so I don't have as much a grasp of what was popular and big at the time. However, I would have removed the aforementioned two games, as well as Rainbow Six, and replaced them with MediEvil, Silent Hill and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    +1

Instead of Grand Theft Auto, I'd choose Driver.

WipEout instead of Destruction Derby

Gran Turismo instead of Ridge Racer Type 4.

Also Metal Gear Solid was so much better with the analogue sticks.[face_sigh]

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Wasn't Driver GTA before it was "GTA"? I mean up until GTA III, the first two games were top-down views only in tradition of that old arcade game "Gauntlet".

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  20. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, the first Driver was awesome. It was by the same developers that did Destruction Derby.
    The into was so cool.

GTA was really more of a PC title. PlayStation 's GTA for me was GTA:London.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  21. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I would perhaps contest the exchange of Ridge Racer with Gran Turismo, because I suspect that to a fan of racing simulators, the appeal of older titles would be moot, whereas an arcade racer is timeless in its appeal.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I used to play Driver religiously for the PS back in the day. It was an addictive game.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Got some news. Turns out from those who got their hands on these early, that Sony is using PAL versions of the games for the US release and not NTSC.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't know if there's a PS5 discussion thread, but I found this article on the potential for backwards compatibility with all previous PS games that looks intriguing. I'll believe it when I see it. Anything short of loading my old disks that I already own and getting to play them without any new purchase outside of the console itself means nothing to me.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-...ble-with-ps4-ps3-ps2-and-original-playstation

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No PS5 thread yet- too early for one what with things mostly being distant speculation and rumor.

Sony and MS have been so wonky with their definitions of backwards compatibility over the years, so I would agree to take the notion with caution.

However, there has been a lot of speculation about MS potentially making the next XB system's games cross-generation compatible, with "XB2" games being scalable to allow playback on XBO systems. One could conceivably see this move by Sony as being their response to both that and XBO's form of BC.

Jedi Ben likes this.