main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode IX Trailer!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't see a Trailer thread for Episode 9 I even searched for it in Search, So my thing Is I thought Lucasfilm botched the Marketing of The Han Solo movie we didn't get enough trailers and I guess the films weren't spaced out enough 5 months wasn't enough time between films. I think from a marketing standpoint too not release a teaser trailer on Thanksgiving is a big mistake IMHO also waiting for Celebration in April is also a big mistake IMHO they gotta hit us hard let everybody know a Star Wars movie is coming out in December 2019 This I think was a big problem with Han Solo a lot of casual fans didn't know it was out in theaters at first.

Pro Edit: Adding this to the OP

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Nah, I'd say they are pretty smart to let things cool down for a bit. If you have an issue of flooding the market with too much content in a short amount of time, the best way to fix that is to make sure you have some sort of break.

Looking back, since the release of TFA, there isn't really been any chance for that. Before that movie even ended its theatrical run Rogue One already got its first teaser, and the same continued with TLJ after Rogue One. Followed up by Solo being marketed in even quicker succession due to the shorter break. Now, for the first time since TFA, there is a bit of a break, which gives a bit of breathing room.

Movies rarely get a teaser more than one year ahead of its release. TFA got one, but that had more to do with that being the first glimpse at the return of Star Wars. Having a trailer at Celebration should be fine enough. You don't overdo this sort of stuff early on. One teaser over a year in advance is not something that really stays in the minds of people. It may be big news when it hits, but the casual audience doesn't keep things in mind that far in advance. Solo combined a general lack of interest in the movie with a short marketing campaign, which was also overshadowed by the double punch of Black Panther and Infinity War. Episode IX won't have such an issue, because as a regular episode interest is higher anyway.

Not to mention that they are currently busy shooting the movie, and have likely very little effects-work done so far. That shouldn't leave a ton of material that could be shown in a teaser.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I am just a big fan of Marketing Saturation In my experience with modern films dating back to even the 90's It just works. We need a break from the movies not the Marketing of movies and TV and making a trailer in essence is like making a short movie these days and hardly gives away the film IMHO...

4. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Had my own idea of what I'd want to see in a trailer......something that would hook me in....wrote it up months ago, had to go looking for it:

Teaser Trailer opens with a black screen,no music...
    Fade in to rain splashing a muddy puddle against a darkened sky - cut to black
    Luke voiceover :"I can't do it."
    Fade in to a figure revealed to be Rey in a cave,illuminated by a shaft of light coming through it - cut to black
    Kenobi voiceover : "You cannot escape your destiny."
    Fade in to a long shot of Kylo sitting on Snoke's throne,looking downward to the side. as the camera swoops in closer it fades to black.
    Yoda voiceover: "For that is the way of things."
    Cut to Finn with longer hair and a beard, wearing some type of modded trooper armor, carrying someone as he fires a blaster on some type of battlefield - cut to black
    Yoda voiceover : "The way of the Force."

Huge explosion as a Star destroyer explodes with TIE's and X-Wing's circling around it.The Force theme starts and swells through all the shots
    White letters against a black background : "SEE"
    Kylo putting on the helmet
    Stormtroopers running and firing across a battlefield
    "HOW"
    Poe driving a speeder on a street on CORUSCANT while he fires behind him
    A hooded figure in a hallway suddenly shoots out Force Lightning
    "THE"
    Knights of Ren snapping to formation in the rain
    A baby laying on a stone sacrificial looking table
    "SAGA"
    Leia - whether CGI or recast, standing up looking alarmed
    back shot of a caped and hooded figure standing against a binary sunset
    "ENDS!"
    Kylo with his saber ignited screams "IT'S NOT TRUE!"
    Rey holds Luke's saber up in front of her ,and her face is illuminated by the green glow
    Music fades to silence as screen goes black
    ...fade in to Anakin's Force Ghost standing there, "What have you done?"

STAR WARS : WHATEVER THE TITLE IS

5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Disney releasing a teaser before Christmas (which it certainly will not) would be counterproductive to their own cause. We have Toy Story 4, Lion King, Avengers 4 which could all very well have teasers not to mention a possible trailer for Dumbo and full length trailers for Aladdin and Captain Marvel sure to fire up the early part of 2019.

No reason to think that they'll have anything prior to Celebration in April. No reason they shouldn't wait even IF they were wrapped (which they are not).

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    They won't even be done filming Episode IX until February.

Just relax. The first teaser/trailer will come in April during Celebration.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    back in 2014 we were in the same boat with TFA and we got a teaser on Thanksgiving week 2014 when did episode 9 start filming wasn't it January or February 2018 so I am sure they got enough footage by now for a teaser trailer. April is to late that's just 7 months out to opening day is 7 months enough for 3 Trailers plus a gazillion TV Spots plus a BTS Reel? That was the Formula for TFA,RO, and TLJ and all three films I just mentioned did really good at the Box Office. Han Solo was the only Star Wars films that Disney has produced that didn't get three Trailers and A BTS Reel "BTS" Behind The Scenes FYI. I am a big fan of Trailers and Saturation Marketing IMHO It just works the best. Heck even the Star Wars TV shows all have great trailers and usually 3 trailers.

9. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    TFA got done filming in October 2014 after starting in May 2014, and we got the teaser that Late November.

Episode IX is not schedule to end filming until Feb 2019. It just started filming in August.

Relax. Disney hasn't even started advertising Avengers 4 yet, which will start later this month.

They aren't going to start hyping both Avengers 4 and Episode IX at the same time.

This late November, the advertising will belong to Avengers, because it has the May 2019 release.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    TFA came out December 2015 I doubt they finished completely by October 2014? They still had a ton of Post Production CGI work to do. I am sure principal photography is almost done on Episode 9 and I would hope Disney would hype both Avengers and episode 9 at the same time if need be. Fans of Marvel generally are fans of Star Wars as well I am a fan of both and plan to see both, Disney probably knows this by now if they don't its just another example of bad marketing.

I mean what star wars fanboy doesn't have a comic book collection;)

11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Principal photography won't be done until February like I said. And the crew is taking a week off for Christmas.

TFA PRINCIPLE photography ended in October 2014. (Yes, there were rehoots in 2015. The whole "kid Rey crying for her parents to come back" scene in the flashback, for example, wasn't even filmed until September 2015.)

You can't compare advertising for Solo and Episode IX. Solo had a longer photography due to reshooting 90% of the movie. Plus it had a May release.

Episode IX, having a December 2019 release, with the advertising starting 8 months beforehand at Celebration April 2019, is normal.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    do you have any links to this information.

13. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm more excited for the trailer than the title. It could be called Star Wars: The Good Guys Win and I'll still watch it. I just want some images of the movie with epic music in the background.

14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    1. Title February (maybe late January) after they finish shooting.

2. Teaser and teaser poster at Celebration in April

3. Full trailer and release poster in Fall 2019

Wildcatbarry and cerealbox like this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Here's a link that shows the wrap-party for TFA happened in early November 2014:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2014110...extraordinary-cast-and-crew-101668574876.html

Here's a link that states IX will be shooting until February:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-filming-schedule-wrap/

TFA was shot for about six months (including a break) between May and November. TLJ took about five months as well. IX started much later than TFA, August instead of May.

Simply put, there is zero reason for Episode IX to get a teaser this year. TFA only got an early teaser because it was the return of Star Wars. And yes, as has been listed multiple times now, TFA and IX are on different shooting-schedules. TFA was done with principal photography for about one month when the first teaser was released. IX is currently in the middle of its principal photography.

Not sure where you got this from, but it isn't really true at all.

Rogue One got its first teaser in April 2015, then a bts-reel in summer, followed by a trailer in August and a trailer in in October. TLJ got its first teaser in April, followed by a bts-reel in summer and a trailer in October.

Only TFA started early. And not only was such an early start not needed to have three trailers (as can be seen with Rogue One) but not every movie even got three trailers (as can be seen with TLJ).

There is no benefit to releasing a teaser right now. It does absolutely nothing from a marketing point of view, because the general audience does not remember things this far out.

cerealbox likes this.
  16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Well It Is still beginning of November Episode 9 could wrap principal Photography and just because you have a wrap party for principal photography doesn't mean there inst still a lot of post production CGI work to do. screen rant isn't official they could be off even if just by a few months we will see.

this teaser trailer for TFA Is clearly early effects shots not the final product and its not much content I am sure Lucasfilm could put something like this out there for Episode 9 right now If they wanted to. I would also assume John Williams has started Early work for the score of the Film...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There's no way John Williams has started work on the film, they're probably only halfway through shooting at best. And even if the movie wraps sooner than February (ScreenRant isn't the originating source for that rumor; they were citing Geeks WorldWide, who was citing Omega Underground. Not that it's any more official, but OU is usually decent for shooting info) there's no way they're going to wrap this month; that would be less than four months of shooting, it's just not a realistic expectation.

We only got the title and teaser for The Force Awakens because it was the first Star Wars movie in ten years and the long-awaited first installment in the equally long-awaited sequel trilogy. The marketing schedule for IX will probably most closely resemble that for Rogue One and The Last Jedi. We'll get the title in January or February, around the time that shooting wraps, and we'll get the teaser trailer in April during Celebration, and maybe a teaser poster as well. We'll get a Vanity Fair cover in May. We'll get a BTS reel at D23 in August. We'll get the second trailer and poster in October. A deluge of TV spots beginning in November throughout December, and then the movie.

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think we will get a trailer anytime soon; it will be a good while. I'm sure they aren't going to make the mistakes they made with Solo, but I am sure they weren't going to anyway- that was a confluence of unusual circumstances.

It sucks to have to wait this long though. I guess it will be better once the TV shows start though, because at least after that we won't have these long periods of no SW.

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Title , released in January

1st Teaser Trailer released April

Full trailer released October.......

Looks like this is a pretty standard formula.............

cerealbox and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  20. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I'm going to put this here.

Teaser Trailer - April ( in time for Avengers 4 )
    BTS reel - June
    Trailer 1 - July ( in time for The Lion King )
    Trailer 2 - October ( last few months of running up )

They must attach something to both the Avengers and The Lion King, only through these two methods can Episode IX eclipse both at the box office.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    What does that have to do with anything?

When TFA's first teaser was released, it had finished principal photography. Episode IX is currently right in the middle of principal photography. It is completely irrelevant whether post production is finished or not, because that has next to nothing to do with the teasers. It's hardly effective to lump some stuff together when you are only half way through shooting the movie.

I don't know why you keep ignoring the facts. There were special circumstances that caused TFA to have an early teaser. No other movie got such an early teaser. Every other movie didn't start the marketing until eight months prior to release at the earliest. TFA didn't get a teaser until after principal photography was done, Rogue One didn't get a teaser until after principal photography was done (though reshoots followed), and the same was true for TLJ and Solo as well.

There isn't really anything that indicates that John Williams has already started working on the movie. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have done so. Music depends on what is actually in the movie, you can't just randomly guess what half the movie is going to be. The script doesn't really tell you everything, and you don't even know what will or won't be in the movie yet.
    Not that it really matters, because trailer-music is rarely done by the actual composer. That only happens under unique circumstances.

cerealbox likes this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Just because post production work on a film Is done doesn't mean the Film is done there is still a tone of Post Production work CGI to be done. When TFA's Teaser came out in Thanksgiving 2014 Lucasfilm still had a ton of Post Production work CGI to finish up the CGI in that teaser trailer was not finished product they touched it up a lot. If in the next few months Lucasfilm wraps principal photography and drops a Trailer on us we are in a similar situation to TFA when they released there teaser.

As for John Williams the man is 86 years old in past Disney Star Wars films he had a bad back and other health ailments so on Episode 8 he decided to start scoring the film super early before visual effects were done on the film. So I would assume because of his age He will do the same with Episode 9 which will be his last Star Wars Film Williams has announced. Williams doesn't even conduct anymore he consults and composes the music witch is written in Los Angeles.

TFA might have had the Earliest Trailer BUT TFA,RO,TLJ, all had a Behind The Scenes footage reel, A Teaser Trailer, A Second Trailer, A third Trailer, and a Ton Of TV spots! TFA,RO, and TLJ all had really good Box Office numbers where as Han Solo had Poor Box Office numbers yet Fanboys loved it most people who saw It loved it. Han Solo movie had A teaser and a Trailer and a Ton of TV spots what I think it was missing was a Third trailer and a Behind The Scenes Reel the Marketing was very poor for Han Solo and when it came out for about the first three weeks of release a lot of casual fans didn't even know it was out. my family only new it was out because of me I am a Fanboy!

@PymParticles As for John Williams the man is 86 years old in past Disney Star Wars films he had a bad back and other health ailments so on Episode 8 he decided to start scoring the film super early before visual effects were done on the film. So I would assume because of his age He will do the same with Episode 9 which will be his last Star Wars Film Williams has announced. Williams doesn't even conduct anymore he consults and composes the music witch is written in Los Angeles.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    It will mirror the marketing of RO and TLJ. TFA just had that teaser so far in advance like others have said to basically announce that Star Wars was back. Solo was another different case due to being six months after another Star Wars film. Sure, I'd love to see a teaser this month but there's no reason to expect one until Celebration. The Super Bowl has about a 1% chance of having a :60 second trailer but even then, Disney has more pressing films to market so don't expect that to happen.

24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Didn't JJ not want to do the November trailer as well? He wanted to wait but Iger wanted an early teaser because the hype was insane and it was the return of Star Wars? Pretty sure I remember reading that a few years back. But yeah, after TLJ and Solo I imagine they're more than happy to let people have a longer break this time and won't be asking JJ to do an early trailer. There's no real need to. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one. But just don't see it happening.

Guidman likes this.
  25. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I hope that Disney will release a TV spot for Ep9 to play during the Super Bowl.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.