main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2018/ **Word Race November 2018**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 9, 2018.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    And 1570 as of early this a.m.:)

Keep going everyone! :)

2. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    After several days without writing, I'm at 2,843.

I'm sure I've been able to write faster in the past, and I feel like the story I'm working on should be relatively easy. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Vek Talis likes this.
  3. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    Probably has to do with the psychology of the thing. Normally, you might not put a certain time constraint on yourself - IDK, maybe you do - so trying to sit down and force it out of you in a set time might be difficult. Try not to think about it as Nanowrimo and think of it just as you're writing this story and however long it takes, it will take. When you least suspect it, the muse might pounce on you. :)

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So, I'm now at 2894, a little over half my goal. Considering this is the midpoint of the month I guess I'm more or less on track, even the writing hasn't been evenly distributed throughout the month (some days I got a whole lot done, some days none at all). Also, for some reason I have been waiting to post counts here until I finish a section or chapter, which is why it's taken me so long—but I've finished a big chapter now, so I don't have to wait anymore. :D Keep up the great work, everyone! [face_dancing]

5. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Awesome! :)

I, too, have made it just past the midway point, thankfully. I have 53,018 for the month.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, I am absolutely in awe of all you five-digit folks! :eek: How do you do it?

Mira_Jade and Vek Talis like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Vek Talis and Findswoman like this.
  8. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    The bunnies are biting right now, what can I say. I'm stoked to be writing Star Wars. @};-

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Zipped past my goal. I knew I wrote a lot today, but song spells are fun stuff.

Word count is 6475. Will keep going...

Congrats everyone! Keep on going, you can do it.

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    After a few days of managing to hit my goal, today was just a lazy day, but I still managed to get to 11 948, so not quite half way, but close. But not getting that buffer early on in the month is kinda making me lose steam

11. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    @Briannakin I know what you mean about losing steam. But keep going. You can rest on your laurels December 1st! :D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay, Microsoft Word stop nerfing with me. :mad:

Turns out my word count wasn't 6k+ [face_blush] but the actual total is just under my goal, 4850 words. [face_blush]:rolleyes:[face_blush]

That is perfectly fine because I am having so much fun. The characters are writing themselves.

With that bit of unnecessary info, I'll just wish everyone continued well wishes with their Nanos and Word Counts and get back to writing (and trying not to headbang to my um writing music because my neck will protest loudly tomorrow - (failing miserably!) :p

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Not sure if it is from this, or just the changing weather, or all the running around I had to do today, but my wrists have been annoying me lately, and it has been particularly bad today, so although I want to write, I'm taking a few days off. As I said at the start of this, it isn't worth causing long-term damage.

Findswoman and Vek Talis like this.
  14. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Yay for failing! Bang that head, @Master_Lok I'll listen to some Overkill in sympathy with your poor neck. ;)

Findswoman and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Briannakin boy I know that feeling. Your wrists are more important, but maybe voice memos to get the ideas down? I might have to try that too.

@Vek Talis Blitz away man. He is awesome (yes, I saw Overkill back in the 80s). My dearly beloved neck is just weeping under the influence of Skeletonwitch, Hail of Bullets and 80s Celtic Frost. That worked though because word count is appropriately now:

[face_devil] 5666 words. [face_devil]

So 2nd time is the charm to beat that goal into submission. [face_party]

Happy writing everyone. You can do it! [face_dancing]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Vek Talis and Findswoman like this.
  16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    So, the good news is I finally got into sort of a groove on my DDC; the bad news is I keep changing my plot points so a lot of those words aren't actually going to be used, but they still count, right? (RIGHT?!?) And I wrote a net total of 108 on one of my WIPs (because sometimes you have to edit things and murder the darlings you wrote for Word Race so you can move on:p). My new total is 4078

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As long as you don't delete the words they count. If they are driving you nuts change the color or font so you know you can delete them after NaNo.

18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    It's great to see the words still churning for everyone! Even if you don't meet your goals, it's wonderful to get words on the screen, no matter how many. [:D]

As for me, I had planned to do a fair bit of writing these last few mornings before work. But with the bad weather hitting the northeast of the US my easy schedule turned completely the opposite, and my free time disappeared. I only managed a thousand words or so, bringing my total to 14,782. That has me behind my daily goal, but hopefully I can catch up with a few good writing days. I'm still determined. :D

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Added since the 11th, 1,057 more words for a total of: 3,337

:D

20. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    All right, I didn't get much done yesterday, but I made up for it today: 7,714 between yesterday and today.

Grand total: 60,732

@Master_Lok Awesomeness! [face_devil]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  21. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Between yesterday and today, I added 1154 to my word count. This time I'm working on my ghost story, and have overcome a major plot snag. (I also have a mysterious character who has recently appeared, and I'm not sure who he is yet. Surprises all around! :confused:)

Seeing all these increasing word counts is inspiring! Keep up the great work, everyone!

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Whaaat are you complaining about, really? Kudos, I would've dropped dead by then!

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I did something stupid. I wrote despite the pain because I got bit... and hard, buy 2 plot bunnies. Now I'm up to 14,339!

Looking back at past word races, I think my record in a month was somewhere in the mid-12k mark, so to beat that and still have a good chunk of month left feels good (and now I totally tempted the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing).

But as Mira mentioned, getting any words on the screen, no matter how many (or how many make it to the final draft) is a victory.

24. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    @Ewok Poet Thanks! I've had plenty of time on my hands lately, so I write quite a bit throughout the day. And I hadn't written much at all the past year and a half. I tend to write in spurts and no telling how long each one lasts.

@Briannakin You've already beaten your personal best? That's totally awesome! Keep it up!!

25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I could never ever beat my personal best, I think. It was precisely two years ago, in that November 2016 word race. It's strange that sometimes the best stuff comes from broken souls. I guess I am phobic about this.

But go, go, go, go everybody! *waves pom-poms* [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Vek Talis and Master_Lok like this.