main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWC22 Costume/cosplay thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 8, 2018.

1. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    I got my jedi costume from Cosplaysky and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Sizing was my problem. It was far too big in some places and ok in other places. I had to make substantial modification to the tunics to make them fit. I only need a few accessories now to submit for Rebel Legion approval. We will see if it will pass. I fear I may have cut a little too much off of the sashes.

I have done a lot of web searching and I decided to order the imperial officer uniform from them as well. They seem to have made their sizing a little more efficient on the posts so I hope to not get something that is either way too big or small. I will still need to get the boots and accessories and will end up spending twice what I spent on the soft goods for those items. I'm hoping to be able to get 501st approval by Celebration and if I do I will definitely be wearing it one day during the con.

[​IMG]

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Huh...now there's an idea. And just provide a lot of pictures of it for accuracy. That might work, I do live in L.A. so it shouldn't too hard to find someone. I just hope it wouldn't cost me a pretty penny. I guess if nothing else works this will be the route I take, assuming I can have done it a fair price. Thanks!

Awesome! I'll have a look around.

Edit: They have some cool stuff. That "Rogue" stuff is exactly what I've been looking for. They even do custom jackets...http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/jackets-leather-or-casual-pid-61.html. Which goes right along with Obi Anne's suggestion. I'll have to get into contact with them. This looks like the company I'll go with, maybe even to do the whole costume. Because I could still wear the jacket anytime as well. Awesome! Thanks guys! This is a big help!

@ChrisLyne: Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    ChrisLyne and Padme501st like this.
  3. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    @MotivateR5D4 just realized they had Star Lord stuff under heroes and villains category lol

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Clothiers has a good reputation from what I know.

5. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    One of the things I'm most concern with is the time element when having a costume made.
    No less than six months before any event for me or I'll go crazy. I'm the "pins-and-needle" guy.[face_nail_biting]
    Always allow time for those unforeseen circumstances.

darthvader88 likes this.
  6. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    If anyone is needed a good quality lightsaber for Celebration then Genesis Custom Sabers is having their first ever Black Friday sale with 20% of their Vector saber and Vader's Vault should be having their annual "ready to buy" sale, so no reductions but they have a range of sabers in stock and ready to ship rather than their usual 16-20 week lead time.

darthvader88 likes this.
  7. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    What is the best way to transport it to Celebration? Has anyone brought one via carryon or suitcase? I guess shipping to hotel would be safest?

ChrisLyne likes this.
  8. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Million dollar question. If your hilt uses li-ion batteries then it needs to go in your carry on. The blade can be taken as carry on as well (TSA classes lightsabers as toys and the prop ones cosplayers use are technically just fancy flashlights with sound) but it's probably safer to pack your blade(s) in the hold. Especially when coming from abroad and you hear stories like this;

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/752974/star-wars-lightsabers-airport-security-uk

And that's the plastic toy ones! Totally stupid but what can you do?

Shipping direct to the hotel is another possibility but you run the risk of it getting lost and if you're international that postage will add up rapidly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    JonSB likes this.
  9. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    The safest way is transport by car, but at Cele. 3 in Indianapolis, I sent my costume and non functioning metal blaster to the Marriot hotel (with insurance) and it got there safely and whole. nowadays, however, things may be different, has anyone used one of those fishing rod cases, esp. if the lightsaber blade is specially made? or a heavy duty poster tube?

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    This weekend I started work on my Celebration costume. I'm aiming to do Enfys Nest. I've realized that I'm a bit too late to start, since I will need to order most of the hard parts. The soft parts are ok and I know I'm going to finish those in time. I realized though that since it's the TPM anniversary, if I don't get Enfys done I can take my Amidala purple travel gown out of storage. It's fragile so I don't use it regularly anymore, but it's a big impact costume.

11. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    The purple gown is one of my favorites, it’s so underrated and I feel will be a big hit.

Life got in the way and I haven’t worked on my Qi’ra in 2 months but I did get a 3D printer for Christmas so hopefully I can get back on track

12. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Ooh...I hope you're able to pull it off in time!

Nice! Which look are you going for?

13. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Kessel Run pants/jacket/cape outfit. I got the pants done and my mock-up for the shirt. Jacket is probably going to be the worst part though but I’m aiming to at least have it done by Celebration. Fingers crossed that the cape will be ready too. I did order the belt/holster already but everything else I plan to do myself. If anything, I hope to be able to wear it at Celebration even if it’s not 100% 501st ready by then

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Jedi belt arrived just before Christmas, ordered the leather today to try and make the pouches myself (should be interesting [face_laugh])

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    A lot of people I know think it's really fun to work with leather, I've only done one medievalish pouch, and I didn't enjoy it so I will stick to fabric.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When I went to day camp as a kid we'd have arts & crafts where we'd stitch something like a leather wallet together. That's about the extent of my experience.

17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I'll let you know what I think in a week or so. Just excited as once the pouches are done I can try for Rebel Legion approval.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I think good tools are essential.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  20. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Also, Tracy Cannobbio (Lucasfilm Publicist) is offering to help with reference images if anyone needs them for cosplay;

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Oh dear, I'm trying to get my X-wing pilot approved by Celebration (and a Willrow cause I found a vintage ice cream maker at a yard sale for $5!). I had ordered a proper flightsuit online (smallest) but it is too big. I focused on finishing other things (looking at you, tricky flak vest) and thought that this would be an easy fix. But it seems modifying it would be trickier than making a new one. My sewing skills are still pretty basic, so I'll hopefully find someone to commission it from in time.
    If not, Dr. Aphra should be ready.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Padme501st likes this.
  22. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I think the Qi’ra pants are a go and I’ve finally caved and cut the shirt fabric and pinned it all together so that should be done quickly. Already bought all my fabric for the jacket plus a possible pattern for it so . At this point I want it finished for Celebration even if I still need to tweak it for 501st approval

ChrisLyne and star_wars_is_good like this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    @Padme501st: Last time you were all about Jyn, and now it's Qi'ra. That's awesome! You're going to build up quite a character collection over the years.

I'm still trying to determine if I can afford buying a jacket from that website you showed us. I definitely like the style and want to purchase it from them. Even if it isn't identical to Cassian, they're still pretty nice. I just have get my funds in order, and then determine if I can get it shipped to me in time.

Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    @Amon_Amarth even if you don't get the flightsuit approvable for an X-wing suit, it's still possible to do the Willrow for it. For a Willrough you basically only need something orange, a moustache and some kind of ice cream maker. I got approved with my modern one. Now this is of the the Willrow Hood detachment, not for Rebel Legion approval, but it's the Willrow Hood that is the fun group to be part of.

25. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    My "ICMG" (Ice Cream Maker Guy/Gal) was approved ages ago by the Rebel Legion. However, Running with the Hoods is more
    about having fun no matter how strange you look. This one guy grabbed a coffee maker from his hotel room because he was flying in
    and couldn't bring his ice cream maker. Wearing an homemade orange jumpsuit, taped on black mustache, $1.98 wig and cheap black boots from
    the Goodwill is just as accepting as a million dollar costume! ICMG folks are the happiest conventioneers because we multiple with laughter!

Padme501st and Amon_Amarth like this.