main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who can joke, who can’t?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , Nov 21, 2018.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It’s a thin line. If A new person had said “the only good lesbian/aboriginal/Jew/African American/mime artist/9SAer/Muslim is a dead one. Edit: only the really dedicated ones” they’d get banned forever.

“But it’s that guy, it’s a joke!” Is okay?

Please address the imbalance.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Reading my mind. I don’t like the notion of double standards.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    WriterMan, Vialco and Diggy like this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So why did I get edited for making the exact same rhetorical point Diggy just made...? I was clearly not joking or actually saying that thing. I was saying in fact the exact same thing Sarge was, and he wasn't edited.

But I guess we don't have double standards for certain posters at all, huh.

Diggy likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Just a friendly consideration: Perhaps you were edited because your post would have continued to drag an already incendiary discussion deeper into the pit. It is never productive to report a problematic post and then go back into the thread and douse it with petrol.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The person in question believes racism [replace with hate speech] should be an automatic ban.

Diggy and solojones like this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, the reason given was that it was inappropriate to say. Even though it's what was said by Diggy in his opening post in this thread (drawing a rhetorical parallel to saying that another group is only good dead, versus what Ender said).

Anyway, I completely agree with Diggy that certain people get away with all sorts of bigotry, flaming, and baiting on the basis of "I'm just joking" or even worse "this is my schtick".

Would it be okay for someone's "schtick" to be that they're a huge anti-semite? Of course not.

SithLordDarthRichie and Diggy like this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    As for the schtick.... replace Muricans with Mexicans... still okay? Why, or why not?

Diggy likes this.
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have made that point before, but it's been said that we don't have a policy against insulting a nationality... But I imagine that would absolutely not be the justification or thought process if soneone were here talking about how stupid and terrible Mexicans are.

harpua and Diggy like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps the original post should have been dealt properly, rather than it being it petrol left to lay there.

harpua likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, guys... your silence is kinda deafening (and a little bit insulting). I don't know if it just doesn't matter to you guys, or what, but some response and feedback would be both nice and appreciated.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When referencing a person’s gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion, “The only good __________ is a dead ____________” is not OK, period, no matter who the ______________ is, or which poster is making the statement.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I mean, he still has colors and everything. You say that it's not okay, but nothing seems to be done about it, ever.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What’ about the inequality in level of punishment for such statements?

Not to put you on the spot!

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He’s banned. As anyone else would be.

The colors are for the 20-year anniversary of the boards, not a denotation of power. All former mods were allowed to reprise their colors for the time frame.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    24 hour slap on the wrist, or something fitting?

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Also, what about this, guys?

17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Damn, someone's out for blood today.

WriterMan and harpua like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... I was just going to post that I didn't mean to make Tracy responsible for speaking for ms.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He’s been banned for hours. The post has been edited for hours. It was handled before this thread was put up.

And it’s the Thanksgiving holiday. I’d prefer overtime pay for up to the minute response in this thread.

There’s an ongoing policy discussion on it. When there’s something to share, we will.

Have a good holiday.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I just want to know how many times this guy needs to be banned before he gets it, or before the staff sees how much of a problem it is. I once talked to a staff member about dealing with him, and was told that "he wont listen." How is that okay?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    KnightWriter likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd like to apologize for not handling this better. My response to Ender's post was intended to hold up a mirror to him, try to make him understand how it felt from the other side, give him a chance to retract his statement when he saw what a horrible thing he was saying. But I was in a hurry and I didn't take the time to make my message clear. Obviously I did not communicate as well as I should have. Just had to get that off my chest.

Dark Ferus and teamhansolo like this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm not going to name the staff member I talked with, for privacy reasons, but I basically asked them to have a talk with Ender about his behavior, and I was told,

"no, I'm not going to do that. He's not going to listen. He's banned now, anyway, AFAIK
    Kristie, I care for you a lot, as a friend, and I worry that browsing the JC right now might not be the best idea. Don't take this as anything other than an opinion, okay? I'm not pretending to know better than you
    But the JCC can be a very negative place I'm not telling you to avoid it fully Maybe you could go crazy with the ignore function? Not saying any of this is your fault, okay? At all"

So, basically, I was told nothing would be done, and to deal with it, I'd have to adjust my posting habits... not him.

Again... how is this okay?

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sarge I got to be honest, you did nothing wrong. It was clear you were holding up a mirror, just as it was clear I was doing the same. I apologized because I was sorry for taking Jay away from his friends at Thanksgiving. I don't expect any US mods to be doing anything about any of this today, to be clear.

I'm just going to post this to support what harps said, and you guys can get to it whenever...

I tried putting Ender on ignore. Turns out I then couldn't see threads he happened to start, which includes the video game thread. I shouldn't have to give up talking about video games with my fellow JCers just to avoid having to see bigotted posts. The poster saying those bigotted things is the problem, not me.

This is genuinely the equivalent of telling women if they don't want to be harassed they can just dress conservatively. It's putting the onus on the victims. Except unlike the real world, in this case the mods have the power to just make the problem actually go away.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Of course it's not ok, nor correct as jello said

There’s an ongoing policy discussion on it. When there’s something to share, we will.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You just quoted me telling you guys something that happened to me... it is absolutely correct. I was literally told "no, I'm not going to do that (talk to him)," then it was suggested that I change my posting habits to deal with the issue, instead of being told that I was supported and it would be taken care of. The onus was put on ME... and not on the problem.