main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who can joke, who can’t?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , Nov 21, 2018.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I feel my suggestion of reporting it still works.

Don't go to a staff member on fb to discuss JC matters. Report them here so any/all mods can see it.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    sigh... I was trying to avoid this, but okay. The staff member I went to was an admin.... our current head admin actually (he was just an admin back then, though). When an admin says "no," then what?

3. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    See my post above.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It wasn't a specific post that could have been reported. I went to him and asked him to talk to Ender because he was severely stressing me out.

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    So Ender wasn't (at that time) breaking any rules, but because he was stressing you out ( which I can understand, as some users do the same to me and I am sorry your were going through this) you spoke to a staff member on fb to talk to him instead of doing so yourself? (I'm trying to be factual, not incendiary)

Under those circumstances, I would have to agree with the admin about saying no.

Mods often have to deal with reports of user A claiming user B is attacking/harassing/targeting them and something must be done. Thing is often user B is not breaking any forum rules. User B may be responding in an abrasive manner, as seems often to be the way in the JCC more than other forums, but we do not mod for the tone of a post. So yes, sometimes we do tell users to ignore each other. Sometimes it works, sometimes not and we go through the entire thing again and again... until the user steps over the line.

From my understanding of what you've said, this is what it sounds like happened two years ago.

Now as to the issue at hand, a rule was broken and it was taken care of. Further discussion is ongoing, as Jay said.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Frieda, he was breaking rules.... he was doing the exact same thing he did to get banned this time. You're reading all sorts of things in my posts that I'm not saying. Quite frankly, the dismissive attitude you're displaying right now is not a good look.

solojones likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He makes some amusing remarks, but he has a nasty habit of singling people out. He did that to me quite a lot in 2014, and if anyone remembers (hopefully not) 2014 was a pretty rough year for me. Consequently, I did post excessively and make idiotic remarks. I mean, I still do, but not to that extent. During that time, several people reached out to me on here, via PM with wonderfully thought out condolences but also comments along the lines of "it's his shtick, he goes after everyone" and "maybe put him on ignore". While I'm still very grateful that I received those PM's, I never agreed with those suggestions and still don't. I'm not going to laugh with someone because their, frankly, toxic behavior is "part of their shtick" and I'm not going to ignore the behavior either because it makes me feel bad. Maybe I should have been more assertive. Maybe I'm overly sensitive. Who knows.

It's just troubling that that's the common reaction towards his behavior is that it's "his shtick, put him on ignore". I hope something is done about this, but it's a messy situation.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... I was told,

"I know, and I'm not telling you to avoid it fully
    Maybe you could go crazy with the ignore function?
    Not saying any of this is your fault, okay? At all. Ender is an ass."

But anyway..... I think I've talked about this enough. I'm glad that discussion is happening, and hope that something will actually be done about it

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    1. Admins aren't kings. If you report on the boards, every mod can see it and have a say. A mod consensus might go in the opposite direction from what any admin thinks, and that's not uncommon. It is very rare when an admin will "pull rank."

2. I said "I don't want to know" because in this era where everything on the internet is shared with everything else, I'd like to think the JC could be one place where private conversations or private details about people would stay private unless people explicitly consent to it. I find that people often don't appreciate this until it's their private information that's being publicly shared without their permission.

3. This should go without saying but given there are several misunderstandings in this thread, it should be clear that PMs on the boards which break the rules aren't shielded just because they're PMs -- which is why PMs have a report button.

Anyway, with all that --- I think this discussion should mostly be concluded and everything handled.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    And? what did you come up with?

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ender has to change his profile picture
    [​IMG]

harpua likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I wasn't really asking about Ender, though... we were told there was a policy discussion going on, and then we were told the discussion was "mostly concluded, and everything handled." That's what I was asking about.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The policy discussion had to do with this specific case and the user in question. We can’t discuss specific users (though it may be evident what the consequences were).

The policy discussion was about perceived double standards in how users were moderated based on their history, whether users were simply “just like that” and if we should sweep it under the rug etc.

The consensus is largely the same as that expressed by the users here, which is that we need to treat users the same and fairly and avoid double standards both now and in the future. We are on the same page as the rest of you, we hope.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    solojones, Diggy , tom and 6 others like this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Awesome... thanks.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just read the thread and the entire thing is very specifically about ender, so this is kind of amusing. anyway i guess i'll be the one voice to say that i hope ender isn't permbanned. getting rid of double standards and no longer tolerating bullying or offensive behavior are obviously the right things to do. but ender should at least be given a chance to post to this new standard imo. obviously you guys can do what you want, and i don't know if he's even permbanned, but it just seems unfair to tacitly condone, or at worst mildly punish the same behavior and worse for years upon years, then suddenly ban him forever and afterwards say "oh yeah we decided that's the new policy".

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    To be fair, I reply to all and every board-related questions on my personal FB and Twitter (and most of the time on any related groups) with creative variations of "no, **** you and leave me alone" because you all should know better than hound me on social media about the Jedi effin' Council. What's next? Following me into clubs yelling about the profanity filter? Texting me to complain about post edits? Wait, that last one happened already!

Let this be a lesson. Keep your e-lives separate, kids. Draw the line yourselves, because other people won't.

17. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
    Personally, I’m pleased with this consensus. It makes me think of a situation a few years back when pictures from my wedding were posted by someone who was not there without permission from myself or my husband. Although others have been banned for posting pictures without permission, she was just warned because that is just how she is. A poor excuse for bad behavior, imo.

Master_Rebado, hudzu and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  18. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Was that me? It feels like something I would do.

Diggy , harpua, hudzu and 2 others like this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I actually agree with this. He should be given a chance to change his behavior. We'll see if he actually can/does, though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just to clarify, if someone is indefinitely or permanently banned, it's never just a sudden thing because of one rule break (unless it's something really really really bad)- it will most often be because of repeated (and often escalating) rule breaks over time, and it will always be agreed upon in the mod forum by multiple mods/admins. It's not something that's taken lightly.

It's the same principle that's been discussed- keep breaking the rules and eventually you'll run out of second chances, no matter how much we like you or not.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So, how many chances does a person get after near a decade of said bad behavior? 1,000? Ender directly insulted me several times and after the Report button failed to get results I insulted him back and got banned inside of a minute. He got off. Didn't even get edited. I complained up a storm and finally, I feel very reluctantly, someone said something to him and he sort of backed off. But it never really stopped, and I am certainly not the only one this has happened to and certainly not the only one who has complained. For. A. Decade.

So, finally everyone will be treated the same? I guess that's a step. I didn't think JCC relaxed rules meant open season for some to break the TOS and not others. 10 years.

22. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    so...

users: Administration! do something about said user!

*administration does something about said user*

same users: you shouldn't have done that!

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think anybody said anything like that, dude.

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Fair enough.

Seems to me though that it's one of those situations that TPTB are stuck between a rock and a hard place. And whatever outcome they have decided or yet to decide will not please everybody.

You also have to keep in mind (which nobody has commented on) that said user is an ex-mod. He should know the rules inside out, especially when it comes to bullying, etc.

But since this thread states that individual banned users cannot be discussed here, that's all my input on the matter.

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, doesn't it say something that so many people have had so many issues with this person for such a long period with this being true? Shouldn't a former moderator know to act better?