main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 12th Annual (2018) Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange! Stories due January 13th!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't know about you guys, but this year has really gotten away from me! Can you believe that 2018 is almost over?! I can't. I feel like it should at least still be August!
    But alas, it's almost the end of November which means it's that time again!

Welcome to the 12th Annual Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange!

Or you can just call it the fic-gift exchange for short, because that's just way too long!

For those who may be new, this is a chance for you to request a story you'd like someone to write as a gift to you, and for you to write a fic as a gift for someone else. Think of it as giving a suggestion of the type of gift you'd like, but still getting a surprise too!

How to Participate

Send me, mavjade a PM with the following:

1. Three things you would like in your fic-gift
    2. One thing you don’t want in your fic-gift
    3. The main characters you want in your fic-gift (no more than three)
    4. A character you don’t want in your fic-gift
    5. The era in which your fic-gift should take place
    6. The era(s) for which you would like to write

Example PM:

I would like a story in Saga (OT or ST) or Beyond Legends with:
    1. The phrase “I know you are, but what am I?”
    2. A verbal fight that ends in a hug
    3. Han and Leia slow dancing on the Falcon

I don’t want Luke in the story
    I don’t want: anyone dying

Characters: Han, Leia, R2

I will write in Saga (Prefer OT and ST) or Beyond (Canon or Legends)​

ERAs

Due to the ever changing universe of Star Wars, it gets harder and harder to make sure people get to write the stories in the era in which they prefer.

In order to do this I need everyone to be as specific as possible, but also flexible. So…

• If your request is in SAGA please indicate if it should be in PT, OT, or ST as defined by the era classifications for stories (in the spoiler tag below). If your story could be in multiple parts of the Saga and you want to allow the author to choose which part of the Saga the story takes place in, please put those eras in your request as shown in the example above.

Eras:
    PT- Stories that take place from The Phantom Menace up to A New Hope
    OT -Stories that take place from A New Hope up to The Force Awakens
    ST- Stories that take place from The Force Awakens through Episode 9

— If you are writing in Saga, please feel free to tell me which parts of Saga you would prefer to write (PT, OT, ST) and I’ll do my best to stick with that, but please know it may not be possible.​

• If you want your story or want to write in the old Expanded Universe or the video games -now known as Legends- you need to include “Legends” in your request. So your request for the story or to write should say Before Legends, Saga Legends, or Beyond Legends, otherwise the Nu-canon continuity will be assumed.

Note: It is very difficult to trade fic-gift requests once they have all been sent out, so please think carefully about what era’s you agree to write in. If there is a character(s) you refuse to write, let me know, but please do so sparingly.

So I’ve send my request, now what happens??

After the deadline for requests passes, I will send you someone’s request and you will write the fic-gift for them. Another writer will be sent your request and they will write your fic-gift for you. Your request will not necessarily be given to the person for whom you are writing, but it has been known to happen.

In order to keep who is writing the fic-gifts a secret, I ask that if you have a question about the request, you send the question to me and I’ll as the person and get back to you as soon as possible. That way, everything stays a surprise.

Once you’ve finished writing, you post the fic-gift in the story boards for the person, and everyone else to read.

Deadlines/Posting:

Fic-Gift Requests: Must be PMed by 10:00am PST Sunday, December 9th

Final Deadline for your fic-gift to be posted: 11:59 pm PST, Sunday, January 13th, 2018

Other Rules/Needed Info

• Please put in the title bar “Fic-Gift for___” and then put a link and for whom the fic-gift is here in this thread. It is also fine to tag the person (User) in the thread.

• Please post the story in it’s own thread. This is so that the person can easily find the story written for them and can find it easily again in the future. It also makes it more like a gift for them and not just a story you wrote. You may link to it in a short-story thread if you have one, the prolific writers thread, or post it anywhere else you post fanfics.

-- Remember, this isn't the Dare Challenge! You don't want to make your request so complicated that it's hard for someone to write. If I think your request might be overly complicated and therefor hard for me to make sure it gets written, I may PM you and ask you to simplify.

--There is no minimum word count, but please keep in mind this is a gift for someone, a story they really want to see! So while you may be able to get the elements into a mini-story, maybe try to add a bit more. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be an epic either!

- If you have not posted your fic-gift approximately two weeks before it is due, you will receive a PM from me just checking in, and as a reminder.

-I can always use pinch-writers to write a fic-gift that someone can’t fulfill. So if you would like to do this, please let me know! It’s a huge help!

Non-Star Wars FanFic

Last year we tried out a Non-Star Wars Fic-gift exchange and it seemed to be a pretty big hit, so I thought we'd give it a go again!

If you would like to do a NSWFF fic-gift, post in this thread what fandoms you are willing to participate in. If there is someone else that wants to do the same fandom, that person should reply to you and then you can use the fic-gift request template to exchange fic-gift requests.

You can then post a link to your NSWFF Fic-Gift here in this thread like you would the SW Fic-Gift.

I can’t guarantee that everyone who wants a NSWFF fic-gift will get one because I can’t know which fandoms people will be willing to do, or if there will be enough interest. Only SW fic-gifts will absolutely get a fic-gift.

Example:

Luke Skywalker states he’d be willing to write a fic-gift in Star Trek, Babylon 5, or Duck Tales.

Han Solo quotes or tags Luke and says he’d be willing to do a Duck Tales exchange.

The two of them then trade requests via PM.

They then follow the instructions for posting/deadlines for the main exchange.

FAQ
    Can I include more than three things I want/three characters I want in my request? Less than three? Do I have to include a character I don’t want?

You may include more that three wants/characters in your request, but the author is only required to use three of them. If you put more than three, the author is allowed to pick which three (or more) that they want to use. If they want to use them all, they can, but they don’t have to.

You may pick less that three wants/characters, it just means the author has more control over what happens.

Really the only REQUIRED elements are what era(s) the story should take place in and what era(s) you want to write. If there isn’t a character you want to exclude, it’s perfectly fine to leave that out.

Does my request have to be holiday related?
    Nope! This is whatever you want, it doesn’t have to have anything to do with a holiday unless you want it to.

Can I request a fic-gift with my Original Character?
    You may, but if your request has an Original Character (OC) in it, please also provide a character description and character traits along with a link or two to stories with your character. But please realize that the person writing may not have read your OC (and is not required to do so) so they may not write the character the way you want. Basically they could make them their own OC and they wouldn't resemble the character you know and love.

Can I request characters from the Non-Star Wars Fandoms?
    For the main Star Wars exchange, please don’t request a character or story line from a fandom outside of Star Wars. There are so many fandoms out there and it’s hard to know what who know which fandom and it wouldn’t be fair to make someone do that much research.

Can I do both the Star Wars and NSWFF exchange?
    Yes, you may do both exchanges, and more than one exchange in NSWFF, but please do not volunteer to do more than you can reasonably deliver by the deadline.

You may only do one SW fic-gift, unless you want to ‘pinch-hit’ and write a second if someone can’t finish their story.

I missed the deadline to submit my request, can I still participate?
    Sorry, not in the SW fic-gift exchange. I’ve tried to do this in the past and it just made things way too complicated. If you would like to do a NSWFF exchange, you could do so.

Can I write a multi-chapter fic?
    Sure! But please make sure to include the elements requested before the deadline.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or via PM. Also feel free to indicate you plan to participate in the thread.

Happy Holidays no matter what or when you celebrate!!

~Mav

Looking for previous years fic-gift exchanges: 2017 | 2016 | 2015

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Vek Talis, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Story Index

Star Wars

[Saga-ST] A Sweet Perhaps by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for TheRynJedi
    [Saga-OT] Will He.... Won't He? by Vek Talis for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    [Saga-PT] In Our Dreams, Together by Nehru_Amidala for mavjade
    [Saga-OT] Rebel Ties by Jedi_Lover for Chyntuck
    [Before-Legends] My Name's a War Song by Mira_Jade for Vek Talis
    [Saga-OT] The Greatest Gift by divapilot for Nehru_Amidala
    [Saga] Shaking Things Up A Bit by TheRynJedi for brodiew
    [Saga-PT] The Makeover by Chyntuck for divapilot
    [Beyond-Legends] An Acquired Taste by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Jedi_Lover
    [Saga-OT] Sleeping Giants by Mira_Jade for Ewok Poet
    [Beyond-Legends] Outer Rim’s Best Après-Snowball by Findswoman for Mira_Jade

Non-Star Wars

[Star Trek] Being in the Thick... by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for brodiew
    [Star Trek:TNG] Questions by Vek Talis for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    [Star Trek] A Wonderful Place to Be! by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Mira_Jade
    [Star Trek:TNG] After a Long Day, Varied Fun! by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Vek Talis
    [Stranger Things] To the Young Believers by Mira_Jade for brodiew
    [Star Trek] According to the Fixed Law of Gravity by Mira_Jade for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    [The West Wing] Sleepovers by Briannakin for mavjade

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Chyntuck, Nehru_Amidala and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I shouldn't because of my dissertation nightmare... but I am, because I love this (and I think, for the past 2 years, my WW fic-gift has been my favourite gift).

Sadly, my Star Wars muse is completely DOA, so if anyone (*cough* Mavjade... or really anyone else) wants to trade West Wing fic gifts, I am so up for it!

[​IMG]

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Yay, it's that time of year again!!! [face_dancing] I already have a possible idea churning on the SW side of things, but you guys have to know how giddy I am to see the NSWFF included once more. This was such a blast last time around! :D

So, that said, if anyone would like to do a NSWFF trade, I love writing for the Star Trek reboot series. Then, it's hard to out-nerd me when it comes to anything Tolkien, and I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If you want to go more niche, Voltron is my current fandom of choice. But I've enjoyed writing for quite a few fandoms over the years and I will give almost anything I've seen/read a try if you want. So don't hesitate to ask! I can realistically pair up with a few folks. :D

. . . I just need to remember to keep things to viggies this time around. No more WIPs. Bad muse, bad! :p :oops:

[face_dancing] [:D]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    MIRA_JADE! I also would love to do Tolkien or the Trek reboot. [face_love] :D Sending my PM with my SW stuff. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Kahara, Ewok Poet, mavjade and 2 others like this.
  6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Well of course! We have to keep up with tradition. Putting on my thinking cap now, so expect a PM soon! :D [face_love]

7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I'll give this a try. My request is sent.

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm glad to see people excited!

Just FYI - if you have a question that needs a quick answer, send it to me in a separate PM. I wait to open the request PMs until I'm in a place to make sure they make it on my list and don't get lost.

Bri- of course I'm up for West Wing exchange!! :D
    [​IMG]

I'll keep my eyes peeled for other fandoms people post I'm pretty sure I could swing.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My PM is in! This should be fun!

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010

Yess! Now to
    figure out what I want :p (ALWAYS the hardest part!). I'm going to try to send it to you relatively soon. I know I'm going to need all the time I can get to work on it.

I too am going to keep an eye out for fandoms I think I can swing, but my time will be fairly limited this holiday season.

11. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Ok, I'm in, need some new idea sparks since my works in progress seem to have taken a break on me.

Other fandoms I'd be comfortable to try writing in, though some of I've never tried yet, so might be interesting:
    - Star Trek Next Gen era (DS9 & Voyager included)
    - Generic fantasy/D&D or specific D&D settings (Golarion, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, even Eberon a bit)
    - Firefly 'Verse

Vek Talis, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I already put in a PM for the standard SW fanfic exchange, but I wouldn't mind doing a Non-Star Wars story. I am comfortable writing about the TV show Lucifer. I could also do The Walking Dead, but it would have to take place in this last season. It doesn't have to be an even trade. I could do one of those two I mentioned and the other person can offer to do some other fandom. Just because I don't write a certain fandom doesn't mean I wouldn't want to read it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I forgot to mention I would be willing to do a NSWFF gift as well. I am comfortable writing Star Trek:2009, Stranger Things, The Last Ship, NCIS: LA, Castle, Lost, Doctor Who, and Avengers. I am also interesting in reading same, but could be convinced if another viable fandom was put forward. ;)

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okie-dokie, I still need to think of my SW fic-gift request but I'd like to try writing a non-SW fanfic this year. Is anyone interested in a story in the Fantastic Beasts sub-fandom of Harry Potter?

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  16. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    And anything @Kurisan does Trek-wise is riveting! =D= Wistful sigh. :D [:D]

18. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I signed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm in, I'm in! I have not written a single word for months and this is a good opportunity to do so AND make somebody happy!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    POET! [face_party] @};- ;)

Vek Talis, TheRynJedi, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yesss-uh! And I EVEN LIKED THE EMPTY STORY INDEX. Joy, joy, joy! =D==D==D=

This is why it's not a good idea to eat a whole 30 cm all-cocoa Swiss roll.

Vek Talis, Kahara and TheRynJedi like this.
  22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that you only have a few more days to get your request in for the SW exchange!

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You still have a few hours before I close the requests for the Star Wars Exchange. Get them in if you want to participate.

Edit: Requests are now closed. I'll post again when everyone should have their PMs with the story to write.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  24. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    To Whom it May Concern,

If you haven't gotten together with someone for the Non Star Wars gift exchange, I would be willing/interested in writing one for:

Babylon 5
    Original Trek
    Next Generation Trek
    Firefly
    The Elder Scrolls
    Dragon Age
    Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning

I'm your general purpose nerd. :-B

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Star Wars requests have all been sent out. If you sent me a PM and didn't get one, please let me know.

This was the hardest year to match up, so I apologise if I wasn't able to keep stories 100% in what you wanted to write. I tried to keep as close as possible.

The Non-Star Wars Exchange can continue as long as people feel like they can still get a story written.