main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Disney continue Legends?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I mean to continue Legends as an Alternative Universe to the Disney Canon
    They could make new comics and video games with the Legends brand. They could do KOTOR 3, The Force Unleashed 3 and Sword of the Jedi while fans of the new canon are still receiving material from the new movies

I think several people would understand the difference between Legends and Canon if you put a brand on each of the products . People know how to differentiate very well between Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Super or Marvel 616 and Ultimate

Why could not Star Wars have another alternate universe?

It would be more beneficial for everyone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018
    AusStig, spicer and Tython Awakening like this.
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Nah.

Also, the ship has long since sailed on a proper KOTOR 3. Sword of the Jedi never got past... what, its title? It wouldn't be a genuine continuation, so why bother when there's enough canon content coming out already?

3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I would prefer that all their efforts go towards making the canon universe as diverse and expansive as possible. If they can pull in Legends Characters, that’s a bonus. I don’t want them wasting time in the “Infinities” space, or alternate realities.

However, if fans want to write fic based on Legends, then more power to them on continuing that universe.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

DarthJaceus and Serfer like this.
  4. Edit

5. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    They made a book just last year called The Legends of Luke Skywalker.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. The problem is that for me the new canon is boring
    For example the Luke EU is different from the Canon Luke

And if they reintroduce another EU character to the canon it could be someone totally different and the stories of that character would not be canon

Even so, having an Alternative Universe would be best for everyone since in the canon they are always restricted in making stories for fear of contradicting the movies

If it is not the EU a new different universe would be fine

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Even though I've said it a billion times, my answer still stands: Absolutely.
    I have no interest in contemporary SW. I'd definitely jump back in to see the old universe.
    No, I don't like the current universe. So long as the ST is canon I imagine I'll always prefer the EU.

As for the myth that people would be confused by two universes—that's rediculous. Marvel has the MCU clearly seperate from its comics. Even the comics have their own continuities. DC, in addition, has the DCAU. Even SW had Infinities, back in the day.

It'll probably never happen, but I'd sure like to see the r̶e̶a̶l̶ old Star Wars again.

8. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm in favor of continuing Legends/EU as a separate line distinct from the Disney-Owned material. Canon is a slippery word to me, so I try not to use that term in referring specifically to the new Disney-owned expanded universe. When I joined these boards under this screen name, I made a vow not to enter canon debates as they quickly wear thin and get destructive. However....given the time investment each fan has put into the SW fictional universe, I think....the fans deserve better...in terms of saga cohesion, saga narrative, and logical-realistic explanation for certain saga element that were present with the publishing of Episode IV in novel form (1976).

The Disney-owned peripheral material seems tepid to me, controlled by corporate executives, and not controlled by artists. I do not see an interest nor agenda in delving into vast epochs of time. Nor do I see Disney honoring the artistic intentions of George Lucas, no matter how diluted they became. Once every so often I read a story about Lucas that captures his original creative spark.

I try to see Lucas in light of being an artist with a company formed around his talents that has featured other talented people who in turn hired talented artists to create the original EU material. On these grounds, I think the Legends/EU line should continue separate from the Disney-owned material.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It seems to me that a lot of the issues in the late EU stemmed from flagging book sales and pressure to make every new story a Giant Epic—the prospect of subscription income could even be why we got TOR instead of a straightforward KOTOR 3. If that was the case back when the EU was the only game in town I see no reason to think a continuation of those stories would be any more economically justifiable now.

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Didn't we get somewhat of a WEG SWRPG re-release? Again, I don't think the EU will be fully continued, but something like a comic mini-series for the nostalgia is always possible.

11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    There's not though

IMO

I do agree with this though. If it were a choice between more Legends and more expansion of the New EU I'd probably prefer the latter. But with the new EU being very sparse and slow at the moment, adding onto Legends (as additional publications, rather than replacing potential new EU ones) would be great.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  12. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Weekly comics, a current TV series, at least three books confirmed for next year, two TV series currently in development, three films in various states of production, a video game in development and one being continually updated, new reference works being released... it's not really any less than usual.

13. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    That's great if you're into all those mediums. Not everyone plays video games or enjoys childrens/young adult material. I am very excited by the upcoming TV series' though. That's huge. I just hope it's in a form that I can view easily, ie. not on some American pay tv channel so I have to go through hoops to find it and watch it.

14. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    There’s some old republic stuff I’d like answered but otherwise no, I’m happy with the Disney stuff minus that horrible deal with EA.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  15. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Honestly, Supernatural Encounters was so good and resolved so much that I'm pretty cool with letting Legends lie for now. Everything from the Galaxy's creations to tantalizing hits of how it will it end...

It's not like I'd be OPPOSED to a Legends revival, though. I don't get the "too confusing" criticism. If people can accept Ultimate Marvel and however-the-kriff-many timelines the X-Men Cinematic Universe has now, I don't see why two Star Wars continuities would be too hard to swallow.

16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I think that's part of the issue, though; establishing Legends as a distinct ongoing continuity would open the door to exactly that sort of mess, which I'd rather Star Wars avoided. Any franchise with two timelines or more just seem to devolve into endless crossovers, crises, and resets.

DarthJaceus and Hamburger_Time like this.
  17. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

DarthJaceus and CooperTFN like this.
  18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm still hoping they use The World Between Worlds as a connection to the Legends "universe."

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Friend, I have unfortunate news for you about this whole Star Wars thing.

20. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Not least that the kids'/YA stuff is some of the better content of the new canon (and that's not a dig at any of the other content, either; it's just genuinely top-notch stuff, and I dislike the stigma around reading "kids' stuff").

21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Lord, yes. Keep the canon running. There's nothing new or particularly complicated about running multiple continuity lines - least of all for a franchise the size of Star Wars.

22. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    As someone who wasn't very deep into the EU when Disney bought Star Wars I would like if they would at least finish off certain stories, and cut any loose ends.
    I mean they could do one novel connecting Fate of the Jedi to Legacy, get Ben married, show the final rise of the Fel dynasty, etc.
    I'd also like to see the lead up to the New Sith Wars. Offer a couple stories connecting to Old Republic to the fall of Phanius.
    Maybe some things would be simplified, or cut for times sake but it would offer closure at least.

I figure they might be worried about confusing the audience, and that makes sense.
    The reboot did some good from my point of view, as it offered more creative freedom. Even so, that so many stories were left on the chopping block just feels weird.

Probably won't happen, but it's an interesting thought,

spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I've genuinely had this exact discussion on here several times. I've read all of the YA new-EU SW books. I don't like them, it has nothing to do with "stigma", that's just me. I struggle to enjoy them. I'm not making any comment one way or another about other people enjoying them.

I don't know why every time I mention that I'm not a fan of them I get jumped on

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Who here said they are not good?

i don't enjoy romantic comedies. That doesn't mean I think all of them must be bad films.

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Then my comment doesn't apply to you. But I'd be interested in hearing why you struggle with them.
    That's fine. I'm not saying you have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.