main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    May I ask what RL religion they seemed to have used as base?

Good idea.

TheRynJedi and Findswoman like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    @Sith-I-5 nobody is going to think you are copying. My character 's last name is Indupar. He is from the Indupar royal family of the indupar Crown Worlds. I have been writing about him since 2013. We probably researched the same way--looking up "Royalty" on Wookiepedia. I wanted a Royal house nobody heard of.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    This is from an old RPG I played with a couple of friends a few years ago, and I though it would fit for Halloween to tell a SW ghost story [face_pumpkin]

Vitaryn (and its curse)

There are many places in the galaxy that are considered cursed or tainted by darkness, places that even the most stoic explorers and prospectors tend to avoid. One of the most notorious amongst them is the cursed moon of Vitaryn.

Location and geography

Located in the orbit of the gas giant Sylax 4 Vitaryn is located within the Denon system close proximity to the inner rim world Denon, the capital of the Iseno sector and confluence of the Hydian way and the Corellian Run.

Vitaryn itself is a night world that is eternally a dark twilight, illuminated not by the systems distant sun but the gas giant it orbit´s. Most of the planet was covered with large grassy plains or deep forests made up of slightly glowing trees. The planet, while having a large flora has only very little fauna mostly consistent of insectoide species.

History

For many years Vitaryn was largely unnoticed by the galaxy population and early explorers just called it Sylax4 moon when they first discovered the world. But with the rise and growth of Denon´s economy as a major trade hub the rest of the system was explored. And over the years and due to its untouched nature within the close proximity of the urban world Vitaryn became a resort for the rich and powerful Denonian elites with many powerful families building small chalets on the moon. These chalets existed for thousands of years and during all this time the elites from Denon used their influence to keep the moon for themselves, forbidding any attempts of properly colonizing it. Through this the "quiet moon" as the world was called stayed relatively untouched by civilization, though this might have been the reason for the eventual curse.

In the year 1003 BBY the Brotherhood of Darkness in their efforts to conquer the galaxy had at this point driven the republic out of large parts of the outer to mid rim and now sat their interest towards Denon, hoping to cripple the republic by conquering this vital military and economic stronghold.

To prepare their invasion a fleet landed on the moon of Vitaryn to set up a base from which to attack the rest of the system and eventually Denon itself. Lead by the fallen Jedi turned Sith, Lord Gereon Vandel, who due to his birth and upbringing within a Denonian noble family knew the ins and outs of both the system and Vitaryn itself they managed to avoid detection through the republic fleet within the system. Cutting of all communication they quickly conquered Vitaryn putting all residents to the sword, including almost all remaining members of the Vandel family who still used the place as a resort to escape the stress of Denon from time to time. This brutal murder at his own family members is today seen by many as the cause for the curse that would later befall Lord Gereon.

Following the capture of Vitaryn the Sith launched a series of hit and run attacks to weaken the republic before their main force, lead by Lord Kaan himself would arrive.

But when they did the Jedi had found the base on Vitaryn, lead by the last survivor of house Vandel Cedryc Vandel, cousin to Gereon and like him a Jedi. There had always been a rivalry between the two men but what had started as a good natured competition while they were both students at the temple eventually ended in a fierce hatred when Cedryc discovered the extent of his cousins fall.

With both the main Sith force and the Jedi arriving in the system at roughly the same time both deployed the bulk of their forces to the surface of Vitaryn and a battle began.

We know very little of this battle as there were only so few survivors and they were mostly terrified to speak, let alone think back to the battle.

What we do know is that both sides were roughly equal in strength and that during the height of battle Gereon and Cedryc Vandel meet each other in single combat, though we don´t know if anyone of them won or if they were still fighting when the disaster struck. To this day its uncertain who was responsible for what followed, some people believe Gereon Vandel had started the force storm out of desperation as his cousin was overwhelming him, others that Lord Kaan who was watching the battle from the Rearguard saw the victorious Gereon as a potential rival and caused the storm to kill him as well as the Jedi.

What we do know is that as the battle reached is height a force storm began to manifest itself on the battlefield growing larger and larger while burning everyone within it to ash, republican and brotherhood soldiers, Jedi and Sith both were hit by the lighting and died while fighting each other. Whoever had created the storm in the first place, if it even was just one person, had clearly lost control over it and the unbound energies rampaged unchecked across the battlefield, burning soldiers, walkers and tanks alike.

Realizing the danger Lord Kaan called for a complete retreat from the planet and eventually the system itself. The storm grew as the Sith and republican forces fled the battlefield and raged on for hours without end.

When it finally ended the Sith fleet had left the system and additional republican forces arrived on the battlefield finding only ash and the burned remains of two armies on the moon, with a few handful of survivors staggering through the destruction traumatized by what they had just witnessed.

Despite the horrible losses though, the republic considered the battle of Vitaryn(or the battle of Denon as others called it) a success as the Sith had been driven off and Cedryc Vandel was posthumously declared a hero of the republic. For the rest of the war Vitaryn was left uninhabited though afterwards some of the Denonian noble families sought to retake their old chalets on the moon, though they would soon be driven off as well, by the effects of the curse.

The curse

Today seen from Orbit Vitaryn would seem like a normal uninhabited world, but in trough the world still houses thousands of inhabitants, as those who came to fight each other so many years ago are still there. A force user would immediately feel the presences of all the soldiers, Jedi and Sith that still haunt the planet and even non forces users will feel the uncomfortable presence of all those souls around them. Sleep doesn´t come easy on Vitaryn and if it does its filled with nightmares of soldiers being burned alive by lightning.

And on the fields were the battle took place a visitor might be able to see and relive it again, as every day when the dark twilight of Vitaryn becomes slightly brighter the ghosts of both armies will return, unable to become one with the force they are cursed to relive their last day and horrible death over and over again, in never-ending cycle of violence, suffering and death. Worse, a visitor on this field of death might find him or herself in the battle itself being thrown into a conflict that happened so many years ago. It is said that visitors of the battlefield can find themselves trapped there forever, becoming another spirit forced to fight and die with every new day.

The curse of Vitaryn still lasts until this day and as a result the world is avoided by all living beings of the galaxy, while at the same time having lead to the creation a huge number of ghost stories about the planet that are known through the galaxy. Still sometimes people who don´t believe in the curse or want to prove their courage travel to Vitaryn, but most of them are never seen again or if they manage to escape have gone insane with their experiences on the planet. Though it is also said, or at least hoped, that one day a group of visitors who will find themselves trapped within this nightmare, will be able to change the course of battle to prevent the disaster from happening yet again, and to allow all those poor tormented souls to finally become one with the force and pass on onto the afterlife.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Sith-I-5, TheRynJedi, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Anedon Nice stuff but I think some of the text blocks would be easier to read if you broke them down a bit more

What size/s of insecticide species are we talking about here?

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay broke it up a bit more.

Not bigger than the insecticides we have on earth. If mainly picture them as firelys, glowing in a myriad of different colours within the eternal twilight of Vitaryn.

TheRynJedi, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I think the word you guys are looking for is insectoid. Insecticide is like, Raid.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some fan created planets that's been ravaged by Gastess Finance Inc

First of, what is Gastess Finance Inc? Here is Charlemagne19's summary of the company:
    Now here are the planets:

Karlmagn-IV: Is a gas-giant with ca. 50 gas-mining-cities floating in it. The mining-cities were all originally owned by Karlmagn Mining Inc., a company that was a houk and herglic joint company, and was creating a neat profit while also taking care of it's employees and equipment. After Gastess takeover all the work-benefits was taken away and unpaid overtime become the norm, and then ran it into the ground while ignoring to invest in taking care of or getting new equipment. When the gas-mining begun to cost more then Gastess was willing to pay for the profit they got they begun to sell of the mining-cities one after another to whoever was willing to pay the most (often Imperial front companies). As of now the people on the mining-cities are in debt-bondage to the new owners who are paying for the repairs of the life-support systems, antigravity engines and imported food (Gastess sold of all the farming equipment that existed on the mining-cities).

Isakk: is an iceworld that would be colder then Hoth if it was not for heavy geological activity that creates patterns of heat oasis following the boundaries of the tectonic plates. Populated by humans (mostly blue and tan skinned), pho ph'eahians and a notable minority (ca. 10%) of snivvians. Gastess have left the societies on Isakk highly damaged and the life-support systems in need of constant repair something the Empire use to keep them in honour-bound debt-bondage.
    Isakk have different laws for humans, pho ph'eahians and snivvians and each of them have their own culture but some returning factors for all Isakkians are that they consider honour and cleanliness important, and they show their social standing with ear- and noserings.

Warren's Green: was an agriworld that was turned into a dust bowl by Gastess' overproduction. Once it exported food, now it has to import it.
    The people of Warren's Green are Anx who once took pride in working outdoor and most of them lived in farm-towns spread out all over their planet. Now many of those farm-towns have been abounded and the people have been moved to Imperial work camps to pay of the debt Gastess left them with and the food imported to Warren's Green.

Kaivannaistoiminta: was a world rich with terbium, yttrium and copper. Gastess brought up all the mining companies and rights on the planet, and then lobbied to relax controls on pollution (claiming that it would be good for the jobs). After mining up all the terbium, yttrium and copper Gastess then begun to use their mining workers and machineries to take up all other ores in the ground, getting exemption from or ignoring environmental protections laws. Gastess left (taking all the functioning equipment and earnings with them) Kaivannaistoiminta covered in mining holes, slag mountains, and polluted air, earth and water.
    The people of Kaivannaistoiminta have a tradition of ritualised knife dulling (usually too the first deep cut) and a likening of bright colours, witch could see in their houses and dresses. Sadly the polluted rain and air often strip or damage the paint from walls, items and fabric.

8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Yeah of course, thanks
    I´ve eddited the post.

9. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hey, everyone! Just letting you all know there is one week left on Fanon Planet Challenge 2.0! :D

Also, a word of reassurance in case anyone needs it. You can still post stories inspired by the challenge even if you don't finish by the deadline—they won't be eligible for the voting, but I'll still index them with the challenge, as out-of-competition.

Looking forward to seeing what comes in! :)

Raissa Baiard and Gamiel like this.
  10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    You're welcome. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  11. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Yeah, mine might get written some day, I like the planet and it's people, and would love to visit someday, but got too much else going on ATM.

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  12. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Hello everyone,

November 12, deadline of Fanon Planet Challenge 2.0, has come and gone, and no story entries have come in. Which is all right, and understandable, because it can be hard to work with someone else's fanon, especially a larger-scale fanon creation like a planet. But once again, I'm still glad to accept entries to this and any other challenge (see the "Index of Challenges" in post 2) on a noncompetitive basis, and you are always welcome to consult any of them for story inspiration—your friendly neighborhood Fanon Thread is here at your disposal. :)

That brings me to the next thing, which is to ask you all for your thoughts on the way challenges and challenge deadlines are handled in this thread (yes, I know I've done that before... but there are different people around now, so it seems worth posing these questions again):
    • Is four months enough time for a fanon challenge?
    • Is the frequency of challenges in this thread generally all right?
    • Should we consider doing away with deadlines altogether, à la the Spoonfuls of Mush drabble prompts in the Monday Mush Madness thread?
    • Are the challenge themes feasible, or are they simply too hard? (Again, other folks' fanon is tough to work with, I know).
    • Any suggestions on how to make them more feasible? Or even any particular challenge themes or types you'd like to see? I am always welcome to suggestions in this area. :)
    • Anything else you'd like to say about challenges and procedures and such in this thread?

Finally, I'll share some recent updates:

@Anedon has added a new post, on the planet Vitaryn (and its curse).

@Gamiel has added a new post listing some Fan-Created Planets Ravaged by Gastess Finance, Inc..

Looking forward to hearing from you, as always! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I would say that working with languages can be too big a challenge if someone has multiple projects on.

If our deadlines consistently coincide with those of other popular challenge threads, do a one-off challenge with a month longer or shorter timeframe to give us a four week stagger.

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In my case it has just been that I have already to much to do to begun a new project, nothing to do with the challenge itself or the time limit.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Military Units

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Croop's Fighting Cocks
    Mostly made up by trackers, trailblazers, rangers, snipers, foragers and hunters, Croop's Fighting Cocks is a mercenary company mostly known because they are all less then 1.6 m tall. Originally begun as an stupid idea for a group of young bimm woodsmen who decided that they wanted to explore the galaxy (and maybe get away from some accusations of poaching) using an old bimm light transporter called 'Croop', who decided that a good way to stay afloat was to hire out their skills, somehow this bunch of marry friends not only survived but thrived and was able to recruit more likeminded people. Since they used space ships made for bimms so was it quickly decided that they should only recruit people of normal (for them) height. That was some time ago, the original members of the Fighting Cocks have all died of old age but a new generation keep on the tradition they started.

Croop's Fighting Cocks are made up by over 1000 individuals (mostly bimms (both species)) and you can hired them in group of five or more, even the whole company if you want. They only take missions in or near woodland or high grass (where they skills are useful) and try to stay away from high-risk missions, no mater the pay. They are also known for being good cooks and able to find food anywhere.

Croop's Fighting Cocks operate around their current mother ship Croop III, an highly modified bimm heavy transporter, but also have around a dozen of light transports and fighters that they use for missions.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Omurandik's Free Lances
    The planet Omurandik is ruled aristocracy of noble warrior-philosophers, but Omurandik has been peaceful for generations and there has not been any pirate problems since a nova changed the hyperruts near them and made their near-space more patrolled. This has made it hard for the adventures second- and less-born children of nobles to find a place in world where their traditional warrior training or role as protectors is not really needed. To give themselves a mission, a noble cause and something to give them experience if they ever needed to defend their homeworld it was decided that they should take up the old tradition of being free-lances - warriors without a master that travelled the land fighting for good causes in exchange of what could be offered - but now among the stars.

The Omurandik's Free Lances are noble elite warriors who will take any mission that they think are just, even if the only pay is the thanks of the people. They usually work in groups of three or more (depending on the job) Lances, with each Lance usually followed by a second (who is usually either a younger noble who's the Lance's apprentice or an trusted servant) and sometime more people (usually a scald and/or tracker). It's important to note that while the Omurandik's Free Lances are noble and idealistic they are not stupid and know that enemies don't follow their code nor do they have any rules about fighting fair outside of duelling, and they have no problem asking for a full payment for their services if they know the employer can afford it, even if it's a good cause they are hired for.

For the Rebel Alliance the Free Lances are in many ways perfect recruits but have run into a bump: the Free Lances have not realised how bad the Empire is. They come from a sub-sector which moff is actually a believer in the Empire's 'law and order' message and they have not seen enough of the Galaxy to realise that she is the exception instead of the rule.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Sure you are aware of the...implications here?

Other than that, LUVVIT. =D==D==D=

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you mean the non-attributed reference to Warhammer Fantasy's Dogs of War band: Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks yes. Or if you mean that cock not just the term for a male for some bird species but also is a slang for penis, then also yes :p

Glad to hear :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Anedon if I, or anybody else, wanted to create some planets or interstellar groups for your Teris sector, what should we be thinking about when it comes to what would fit into the sector, what would not fit and what would not appear in the sector?

Also, how new are the newcomers? Have they been there for hundreds of years or just arrived a generation or two ago? Did they all come in the same wave or have they come to the sector in different waves?

Anedon likes this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Hm intresting question. I think the general rule of tumb concerning the Teris sector is basically that they are an extremly remote region with a rather bad reputation, they have no central goverment, no real universal law and its generaly a rather unsafe place to live and rise a family. This means that most people there would live there/have come there either because they were forced to go there to hide(both politically/religiously persecuted and crimials) though even there many people would consider alternate places to go first. Others are social dropouts, outcasts or anarchists who dislike any form of organized goverment or buerorcarcy and seek a life free from these things, as many Terian communities especially the more traditional ones are the most direct democracies were everything is discussed and decided by all adult(starting around 16) members of the community. Also the Teris sector is extremly egalitarian with many terians being willing to go to great lenght to protect and care for people fleeing from oppression in their homes, like for example escaped slaves, people running away from arranged marriages and so on. This rather egalitarian stance also leads to Terians being mistrustfull of species that practice slavery(Hutts, Trandosians, Zygerians) or culutre that they deem oppressive(Twileks and Hapans for example), members of these species or culutre groups would have a hard time to really fit into Terian society though it isn´t unheard of.

In therms of planets and what would be there, the general idea is that any forms of adavnced societies would be extremly rare if not completly missing. More traditional Terian villages and towns are generally the egalitarian simple direct democarcies I mentioned above where children are usually school at home and by the community as a whole(basically by being send to aid, learn from particular members). Any kind of advanced knowledge liek medical skill is usually passed on from one generation the next directly, for example a medic would take one or more apprentices through his or her life and teach them all they know, same goes for the priests who look for force sensetive children to train, though unlike the Jedi they won´t take kids as apprentices without their consent. What exactly crafts are conducted within each community really depends on the world. On Darvin you mainly have Nomads who follow heards of gargantuan animals over the stepps and their entire life circles around nuturing and eventually butcher these creatures and processe their meat, bones, fur and so on for their own use and sale.

The newcomers or non traditionalists would probably be the more fitting therm usually inhabit rather unorganized cities and spaceports throught the sector though how unorganized exactly differs from case to case, you have some somewhat ordered democratic city states that usually also house the little bits of industry found in the Teris sector, to complete and utter chaotic pirate dens filled with escaped criminals that usually are ruled by the strongest and most cunning and are filled with gambling dens and bars. And while most traidtional Terians usually cooperate with the former more stable communities they have developed a certain "live and let live" policy with the criminals. As long as they don´t terrorize the other Terians and don´t engage in slavery the Terians usually leave them alone or even have some limited trade with them. Though the Terians won´t care if the pirates conduct their "buiness" outside of their territory, as long as they aren´t slavers of course, this is actually a reason why the galatic republic and later the galatic alliance would actually like to see the Teris sector integrated into their territory as the Terians do provide a somewhat save heaven for criminals and pirates.

As for organizations well as I mentioned above their are certain pirate groups operation from within the Teris sector. Though there are some differnces. Some groups might actually be hostile towards the Terians hoping to captilize on their lack of a unified goverment and the many remote settelemts throught the region. There aren´t many rescources and riches to get however so most of these groups tend to be slavers usually based in or at financed by the nearby Huttspace. Their presence is the main reason every Terian child is taught how to use weapons and defend him or herself from a very early age. The other kind are basically the reverse, pirates based in the Teris sector who tend to raid nations outside of it, often the Hutts but also the republic. These groups tend to be like the Terians very egaliatrian and anti slavery with one of their goals aside from seeking riches often being freeing of slaves. Many of these groups even tend to be made up of former slaves seeking revenge on the slavers as well as freeing more of their kin, though as mentioned above they also tend to raid the republic and other nations as well. Whats intresting about them though is that in times of need when the Teris sector is under threat(by the Hutts or in the past by Sith, Dark Jedi or Mandalorians) these pirates will usually actually aid the other Terians in their fight, which is one of the reasons why the Terians tolerate them.

Other cooperations tolerated in the sector would again be ones without any real goverment ties, mainly small scale cooperations, think of Lando´s Bespin as an example, a autonomus mining place outside of the miners guild or any state sanctioned organizations.

Now some of this might be different from world to world, some worlds like Learan fro example house little to now newcomers or outsider while on others like Asterian they make up the majority of the population. And then there is Serian which is kind of a different thing entirely as its actually an organized, core like world, though they get along with the other Terians pretty well despite their radically different ideologies, mainly due to the fact both have a strong mutual respect for one another. Serian would likely also be the only place were one would find some higher culutre stuff like a real univeristy thought its mainly freequented by Serians other Terians attend it as well.

So to kinda sum it all up, the Teris sector is something of a Libertalia. Its a society were, at least in theory every man, woman, human, alien is free to pursue their own path, as long as they respects the rights of everyone else to do the same. Though it also comes with a lot of the problems such a place would create, like the instability, the danger of pirate and slaver raids, the very basic medical care available, law enforcement being mob justice sometimes and the comparativley harsh and simple lifestyle when compared to the rest of the galaxy. But at the same time most Terians actually accept these things as part of their lives and many are proud, that they as a community managed to be free and able to go their own way based on their own choices.

Its basically all of it. There aren´t really any major waves of newcomers its more of a small but steady flow, escaped slaves, fleeing criminals, politically persecuted, societal dropouts, anarchists searching for a utopia and so on. Of course during times of crisies in the rest of the galaxy more people tend to arrive in the sector, for example during the height of the empire many political refugees would come to the sector. Though what they do afterwards its kinda hard to universally say, some will mix in with the traditionalists within a short period of time, while others stay as basically newcomers for generations. These two categories are extremly broad and there is a lot inbetween them. Generally newcomers refers to the less traditionalist inhabitants, which for the most part are relativley new to the sector though again everything can happen.

Gaven and Nev´s families for example fled from the empire to the sector but almost immidietley became part of the tribes of Darvin. Which is why I would consider Gaven and Nev locals even though their parnets were newcomers(who became locals by joining the tribes and adopting many local customs). That said they are somewhat angonstic about the Terian spirit religion so they aren´t completly traditionalists either. You see there are basically no real set lines, just two extremly broad categorgies.

Also @Gamiel on a little bit of a sidenote and please don´t see this as complaining but we actually had a little bit of miscomunication when talking about Terian naming customs, which was completly on my part. I told you I imagined their names to be celtic but I thought of it more in a sense of modern day Ireland and Wales(who of course are of celtic descent), rather than the Gauls or ancient celts. I probably should have worded that differently, sorry. Though that said given how large and diverse the Teris sector is and how long some of the communities exists there I think there is nothing to suggest ancient Celtish names wouldn´t be prevalent either, so go for whatever you like when creating planets or factions for the sector.

Do you have any further questions?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks @Anedon . One more question, since the Teris sector is near Hutt space has it had any attempts to incorporate it into Hutt space earlier in history? Mostly asking since if it is yes it would justify for other to have planets with primitive (by SW standard) people who are decedents of the Hutt's servants species who have been left behind after the attempt failed.

How influenced are the old cultures in Teris by the Athenar? Can any traces of the Athenar's culture bee seen in their belief, architecture, clothing or similar?

--------------------------------

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701 May I suggest 'foramit' as a possible slang for Serenity, it's based on Firfly's goram which is a shortening of 'god damn' where the god part have ben exchanged for 'force', so it means 'Force damn'.

Anedon likes this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks. I'll update that soon, before I forget.

22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Yeah, several times actually. Not allways are the Hutts the direct leaders behind the attacks themselves, though. The pirates who established themselves around 5 ABY and were eventually defeated by Gaven with the aid of the NJO, were actually lead by a Imperial Sith Inquistor who desterted the empire after the battle of Endor and tried to set up his own little realm in the Teris sector. He was however supported and aided by the Hutts with money and rescources and they were the main buyers of the slaves he took. Similliar cases happened in earlier times with other sith and dark Jedi. As the Teris sector is beyond the Hutt space towards the galatic egde basically every conquerer has been aided by/trading with the Hutts. Though the Hutts also made several attempts on their own in previous times the last around 1000 BBY, during which the technical experise and ships from the recently arrived Serian colonists helped to turn the tide in favor of the Terians. Others attempts in the past a certainly likely though I imagine the Hutts prefered to work via proxies like mercenaries, dark Jedi or pirates most of the time rather than lead the forces themselves. These days they usually are satisfied with their slavers raiding the sector, though might launch another invasion should an opportunity present itself.
    As for their servant species that is certainly possible though I will admit I´ve never looked really into them so I can´t really say much in this regard, but given the Terian´s usually attitute towards slaves I think they would certianly welcome and aid escaped, abbandoned slaves. Also as mentioned before the "Terian" pirates tend to raid the Hutt space quite a bit so they would probably come across members of these servant races regulary and set them free.

Actually quite a lot, more than the Terian´s themselves know. Their religion is actually somewhat similiar to the Athenar one in that both have a strong revenrance towards their ancestors, desceased loved ones. The forefathers eve ritual is loosley based on an Athenar ceremony, though while the Athenar version is completly sober and serious the Terians follow the mourning ceremony usually with a joyfull celebration of the living. Also the egalitarian idelas hail from the Athenar who have a more organized but ultimatley similiar society based on direct deomcracy involving everyone. And like the Terians, in great peril, tend to appoint a leader who has nearly aboslute control over their communities, like Gaven was during the aformentioned pirate invasion though is expected to give up his powers as soon as the threat is overcome, the Athenar have a similiar model appointing temporary leaders in times of need. Though the Athenar culutre as a whole ich much more restrained and refined than the Terian one, but their very basic ideals are similiar. And it should be noted that many of these ideals were taught to the very early Terians by the Athenar themselves. Also with a majority of their remaining worlds actually being located beyond the Teris sector at the edge of the galaxy they are close neigbours and often team up to fight common threats. Also sometimes young rebellious Athenar leave their homeworlds and join Terian pirates for a time to fight the Hutts, or they live with a Terian tribe for a while to learn from them and in turn pass on knowledge to them, though as time went on this has become rarer and rarer. Though the Athenar still have a favorable view of the Terians, even if they consider them clumsy(basically like an adult would see a good natured, well meaning if naive and clumsy child) and help them protect their independence from threats from the in and outside and they are known to sometimes send the Terian priests dreams or even speak directly to them to warn them of danger.

As for clothing and architecture some minor bits and pieces certianly are still around, due to the contact they had in the past and to a lesser extend still have. Like the Athenar most Terians dress practically in non intrusive colours and the robes their priests tend to wear are inspired by the ceremonial Athenar robes. With the architecture its there amongst worlds like Learan with its stone houses or the Ornamented Caves of Caren. On other worlds it much more a simple colonial style without much Athenar influence.

Is it that what you meant in therms of influence?

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Anedon to continue this discussion with some more questions:

* are there any kind of returning pack/riding animals that can be found on many worlds because the Athenars used them or the early first wave colonists had taken them with their colonising ships?

* How advanced and/or untied can a planet be in the Teris sector and still fit your concept of it?

Anedon likes this.
  24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    That´s certianly possible. Though as mentioned before the Athenar are vary carefull not to distrurb a planets ecosystem by introducing new, introducive species into it, which would mean that if anything they would domesticated whatever species they found on the planets rather than bring new ones onto the world. As for the colonists they might have brought some in though, so its certianly possible.

That´s a tough question. The general idea of the sector is that it is a lawless libertarian place with many only loosley connected villages towns and so on. In therms of advancement its really hard to say, I would say it lacks any real organized scientific advancement and doesn´t really have a huge economy, some more advanced worlds like Asterian might have stuff up to small arms factories and maybe very basic ship building and repair capacities, though in general most Terian vessels are privatley owned and either bought or captured in battle(mainly against slavers or other Huttish allies), with the only real shipyard being in the orbit of Serian and even that one is a joke copared to the shipyards in the rest of the galaxy. Other worlds like Learan have little to no advancement or even contact with the outside world and their only way to get any advanced tech is buying is from traveling merchants.

As for unifictation there are usually no real united goverments, at best you would have loose alliances, connections between the cities, tribes and towns. Cooperation is there but usually Terians, especially traditionalists dislike the idea of being ruled by someone they don´t know/lives many miles away. If you want some political ideas you might look at the, the old germanic/viking Thing(assemblys), the shortl lived Pirate Republic of Nassau or the attempts of an anarchist society in the Spanish Revolution, during the spanish civil war in 1936.
    In general I see those more as inspirations than outright similiar to the Teris sector but the general idea is that the Teris sector is a very anti authoritatrian society and most people there would be the SW equivalent of Libertarain Socialists who reject the very idea of a centralised goverment in favor of localized direct democratic assemblies, trade unions or worker councils. Of course these ideals and their results from planet to planet but generally I think unified goverments would be rare if not outright non exsistant in the Teris sector(excluding Serian of course). Though of course there is cooperation, trade and stuff between the communities and a sense of "belonging together" throught most planets and the sector itself, which is best showcased in that most Terians from traditionalists, to newcomers and even the "Terian" pirates will come to each others aid, and even apoint temporary leaders in times of need. Though even with these leaders, there is nothing that would force anyone in the sector to follow them and they usually attract their followers by being respected/seen as the best hope to protect the sector.

I hope that helps you in this regard, though if you want to know more feel free to ask or if you want you can send me the draft for the ideas you might have and I can look over it and see if it fits in my general idea.

BTW I´m also currently thinking about a new fanon entry on various pirate groups which would also tie into the Teris sector to some extend.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To continue with this: if we say that the colonists brought animals with them, which of the canon intersteallar pack/riding animals would you say would fit best with the Teris sector? Horses? Banthas? Fathiers? Reek? Eopie? Dewback? Keffi? Or some other I have not thought about?

This just made me wonder: how advanced is Learan? Will visitors see spears and bows and try to explain to the natives that sewerage system is a really good idea for the towns and cities to have? Or have people primitive hand computers, automatic guns and hot and cold running water? Or something else?

@FanonSock would it be ok if I posted some planet concepts for this discussion?

Also, I know this is not an official discussion but what do you think of linking to it in the starter page? I think it could be of interest as an example of what to think of when you create fanon in other's fanon.