main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU Chronological Read-Through Questions

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jade Kenobi, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jade Kenobi

Jade Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2018
    Hey everyone!

I’m starting out on a journey I’m pretty excited about - experiencing the entire EU in chronological order! I’m including novels, comics, short stories, “non-fiction” if it has a timeline placement, and video games.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever done this before and if you had any tips. ^^

For instance, on what to include/not to include.

I have already decided I will not be including:

• Anything published by a non-licensed source

• Anything published in a foreign language and was not translated into English

• Anything published outside of the US and not released inside the US (I am not going to spend the next 30 years of my life trying to track down all of those impossible to find UK Clone Wars magazines, gah)

• Unpublished material, unless it was published on the Star Wars official website

• Children’s picture books

I am trying to decide whether or not, or even how, to include the following, and would love any input:
    • RPGs. How do these fit into the canon? I haven’t played any of them before (though after finding out about them, I’d like to) but as far as I’m aware the story developments would change on the player(s) choices, yes? So how would that fit into a set canon? (On a similar note - the decide your destiny/choose your own adventure middle grade books would be a similar question, I suppose, though I recently bought a bunch of them so maybe I should have considered this question first... :p)

• SWTOR - Basically same question as RPG. I love playing SWTOR but am ridiculously slow (and am fine with that tbh). So I don’t really know how I feel about spending like 10 years on SWTOR in every character path?? But I also don't want to completely exclude it? I feel like I might be looking for a too simple answer for a question that is not that at all. :p

So, yeah, if anyone has done this before and wanted to share what you did, I’d appreciate any feedback or thoughts you might have! ^^

Thanks and MTFBWY!

~ Jade

Tython Awakening and Khalia Octa like this.
  2. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Hey @Jade Kenobi!
    This is a great idea! I definitely didn't do this, started at the very last series and am slowly working my way back :p
    I'd recommend adding the New Jedi Order (NJO) books into your list and definitely the Thrawn series.

Also, I believe there's a book with the entire EU books in it, which may be helpful?
    Hope it goes well and would love to hear your progress! :)

Jade Kenobi likes this.
  3. Jade Kenobi

Jade Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2018
    Oh, I'm definitely including those! I'm including all of the novels. :) My list is a huge spreadsheet, so I didn't put it here. [face_laugh] These few are just ones that I'm unsure how to work in.

Do you know what that book is called? I'm working off of multiple timelines other people have put together, but a book would be handy, especially for collecting! ^^
    Thank you! I'm sure I'll post about it more as I progress. :)

Tython Awakening and Khalia Octa like this.
  4. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    The book is called "Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion" by Pablo Hidalgo. Hope that helps! :)

Tython Awakening and Jade Kenobi like this.
  5. Jade Kenobi

Jade Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2018
    Ah, yes, I've seen this one but don't own it yet! ^^ thanks!

Khalia Octa likes this.
  6. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Hey @Jade Kenobi

I admire your ambitious read-through. What percentage of your reading is Expanded Universe/Legends? Novels, Comics, guidebooks, digital material, RPGs, etc..... I have some resources that may help you.

Jade Kenobi likes this.
  7. Jade Kenobi

Jade Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2018
    Thanks, Tython! 100% of everything is EU/Legends. ^^ I haven't ventured into the Disney canon beyond films yet, and will probably wait until I'm done with this. :p So yeah, I'll be including novels, comics, guidebooks, digital, RPGs (I did decide to include them after making this thread, I'm still unsure how to include SWTOR without going crazy though...) I've been working off of several different timelines that other people have put together to make my own. I will very gladly accept any and all resources you might have to offer!
    I've been working on putting this together for months and I'm so ready to get started, but I want to make sure that everything is in order before I do or I'll be mad at myself for rushing into things... [face_laugh]

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Jade Kenobi likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    As a novel collector I like to try to help out as many people as I can with the limited knowledge I have, I think that the courtship of princess leia duology and The Black Fleet Crisis series as well as the Swarm war series deserve a read.

Jade Kenobi and Tython Awakening like this.
  10. Jade Kenobi

Jade Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2018
    Those are all on my list, yes! :) All of the EU/Legends novels are. :)

11. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I sure hope you enjoy them as much as I do.:)