main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn’t Luke carry his saber in ROTJ start?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by starwars23, Jan 14, 2019.

1. starwars23

starwars23 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2019
    Luke relies on R2 to get his lightsaber later on.

Also why didn’t Luke use the force against the Rancor? Luke could have force choked the Rancor.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He knew he couldn't singlehandedly take on Jabba and his men within his palace fortress, even with his lightsaber (Jedi aren't invincible). So he had to wait until they were all at the sarlacc pit, out in the open and spread out on skiffs, where he would have the advantage. This required that he be captured, and if he had his lightsaber on him it would have been confiscated. Thus, he had to hide the lightsaber in a place where it could be retrieved later.

Luke didn't Force choke the rancor because then the battle wouldn't have been as exciting.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Never Force choke anything bigger than your head.

BigAl6ft6 and RolandofGilead like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    the funny thing about the rancor fight is the underwhelming picking up the skull and throwing it at the panel. He should have Darth Mauled that **** and force thrown it :p

Also...Jabbas Palace had metal detectors ;)

5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, it was also on the off chance that Jabba actually settled for a deal, he couldn't enter the palace armed. But he suspected the Sarlaac pit fight would ultimately happen, and needed to look defenseless so Jabba was the one making the aggressive move, therefore stubbornly sealing his own fate. He warned him afterall.

Edit: Whoops I meant Sarlaac not Rancor.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Jedi Merkurian and SlashMan like this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    He was more confident in his Force abilities and other skills by that point.

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    These are the answers.

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I don’t know, but any future special editions need Luke’s signature “shoulder brush” adding to these moments. Kills the Rancor = shoulder brush, somersaults back onto the skiff = shoulder brush, blasted by the emperor’s lightning to the brink of death = shoulder brush, escapes from exploding Death Star = shoulder brush...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The lightsaber on Artoo was the backup of the backup. Luke really didn't want to have to kill anybody, he gave Jabba multiple outs.

10. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Hm, that would seemingly imply that Luke knew with certainty beforehand that he and the others would be carried out to the sarlacc pit. Was that Jabba's most favored way of disposing enemies? (Then why the rancor?)

Unless the novelization covered this (which admittedly, I've never read), I'm a bit confused on the whole plan here. Judging by Luke's glance towards Lando on the skiff, Lando apparently knew what Luke had planned concerning his lightsaber. If this was the plan all along, then where did Leia's ploy as a bounty hunter fit in? Was that Plan A and if it failed, then it was onto Luke's Plan B of which Lando was aware of both?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It was Jabba's favored way of disposing of enemies who really pissed him off. That was the point of Luke killing the rancor: to piss off Jabba enough so that they would all be taken to the sarlacc pit.

Yes, essentially. It was a multilayered plan. If Leia's ploy had worked that would have been the end of it and they would have all gone home.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas indicated in the story meetings in 1981, that Luke had planned out most everything about Jabba's palace with the intention of going to aggressive negotiations, if he couldn't successfully bargain with Jabba. He anticipated on almost everything except the Sarlacc. That's why Threepio starts to warn Luke, because he knows that he doesn't know about it.

13. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    But Leia being deep undercover as Boussh would make more sense for Luke's plan than to be enslaved as a dancing girl. Hence I'm inclined to think her attempting the rescue of Han was done of her own volition.

14. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Well, I don't think Leia being enslaved as a dancing girl was always part of the plan rather just the consequence of her being caught.

Still, I find Leia's actions here confusing. If her disguise as a bounty hunter in an attempt to rescue Han was part of Luke's plan all along, then it seems to me like the plan(s) were carried out of order. For if she successfully rescued Han, then how would they have rescued Chewie, Threepio, and Artoo afterwards?

It seems to me that they've would've tried Leia's plan first, see if it succeeded. If not, then you present the droids as gifts, negotiate, yadda yadda yadda. Why else would they present/set up the droids beforehand?

Did Luke know about the rancor beforehand as well? I'm not so sure. Artoo had his lightsaber but could Luke have foreseen/anticipated that he would be serving on the sail barge instead and thus not in Jabba's throne room? For when Luke dropped down into the pit, his expression upon seeing the rancor wasn't one of someone who knew this was a possibility (unless he was more surprised over Artoo's absence for he figured he would have his lightsaber to handle this potential foe)

Speaking of disguises, how did Lando manage to get hired onto Jabba's crew? Wouldn't Jabba have known of him? Granted Lando's helm helped disguise his features but did he never speak while he was in Jabba's palace?

Darth__Lobot and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  15. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Love makes people do strange things.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    According to Lucas in the story conference, Luke either "knows or doesn't know" that he will be dropped into the rancor pit. It's not really clear in the film. We assume that he's surprised due to Threepio's warning, but if we assume that Luke has been in contact with Lando then it stretches belief that he wouldn't be expecting it.

Chewie, Threepio, and Artoo would have been rescued by their man on the inside: Lando.

The reason the plans are carried out in the order that they are is because Luke has to anticipate that one or all of the previous plans will fail. The idea is to attempt the plans with the least amount of risk to life and limb first, and only resort to Luke's risky plan if all others fail.

If the initial plan of bargaining with Jabba looked like it would prove fruitful, Lando probably would have signaled to Luke somehow and Leia never would have come. Then all that would have to be done would be for Lando to smuggle out the droids after Luke left with Han, which would be comparatively easy .

But if Leia went in first and failed, then both Chewbacca and Leia would have to be rescued, which would be significantly more difficult. Whether the initial bargaining plan is successful or not, and regardless of what order it takes place in, the droids will have to be smuggled out afterward. That's unavoidable.Thus it makes more sense to try the bargaining plan first, to try to avoid having to attempt Leia's plan in the first place and potentially compounding the difficulty.

As for Jabba not recognizing Lando, well, why would he? Who says Lando's face is that well known in the criminal underworld? As long as he fakes his credentials well enough, no one's going to immediately make the connection. And since he spends most of his time on the job with his face obscured, it minimizes the risk that someone who knows of him might recognize him.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hey when Luke says "I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit by this or be destroyed." Where's the profit he's offering Jabba? Was he going to leave him Artoo and Threepio? What was the carrot?

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    I don't seriously think Luke intended to leave the droids with Jabba. More likely he was trying to goad Jabba into taking him to the Sarlacc for execution, which would allow him and his friends to kill Jabba and make their escape with Han.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I like to think Luke was talking tough but was going for the non-violent solution until they basically threw him into the Sarlacc. Maybe the "profit" would be Luke allowing Jabba to live? Kinda menacing, that!

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    His hologram message to Jabba stated that he sought an audience with Jabba to bargain for Han's life. I think Luke was being truthful here. He would have paid Jabba for the freedom of Han and the others. That's the profit he was offering.

But at this point, Jabba was beyond being interested in profit. He wanted to make an example out of everybody.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  21. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    That would make sense... except for the droids being given as "gifts" to Jabba. Would Luke have paid for taking them back as well?

SlashMan likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Getting way hypothetical here but let's assume Luke had a Sack O Gold as profit for Jabba in return for Han and his friends. And maybe snag the droids away some night, probably easier to smuggle out than Han? The droids were "a gift".

23. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    That snag is why I think Luke's plan was all along to kill Jabba after luring him to some remote place where he could be disposed of more easily. Like the sarlacc pit.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd prefer to not think that Luke intended all along for the rescue mission to end with Jabba's death (and he does offer Jabba multiple times to resolve without bloodshed). But Jabba is really, really evil. Like, really evil. But Luke refused to kill Vader. Did try to kill the Emperor, though. (and Luke's whole refusing to kill Vader bit did sorta fall by the wayside for a minute there)

BlackRanger and Dandelo like this.
  25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this made me smile :p I like your scale of evilness.

Is Palps and Snoke really, really, really, REALLY evil?

and is Sebulba just like 'evil' with a very small E, because he tampered with pods? :p

Also chuckling at the idea that Luke really was just gonna leave the droids with Jabba :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.