main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Much love, Ben!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Just got this from Amazon.

[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Is it me or do most Star Wars novels not meet the original release date these days.

Vialco likes this.
  4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    i guess the original release date was just a placeholder ?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Things change, it's what? A week later? The likes of Wordery won't even wait until then in any case. As soon as they get the stock, out it'll go.

Outsourced and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    A book shifting a week is usually not for "placeholder" reasons. 1 week shifts are usually about printing schedules or some other logistic concern.

7. KerkKorpil

Nov 7, 2016
  8. KerkKorpil

Nov 7, 2016
    Like ... a crossover with Marvel? ;)

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My hope is that the Alphabet Squadron Trilogy takes place a bit post Aftermath post Jakku too.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So much good news to talk about!

The only note of unease I have is with this info:

"From a certain point of view, the rebels are traitors to the Empire, putting the innocent people of the galaxy at risk. In the last days of the Galactic Civil War, an elite squadron of TIE fighter pilots, known as Shadow Wing, is assembled to protect Imperial interests.

Starting in April, you’ll meet these brave pilots in Star Wars: TIE Fighter, a new Marvel miniseries set in the time of Alexander Freed’s forthcoming novel Alphabet Squadron, which we are happy to announce will be a trilogy. The exciting new crossover series from Del Rey and Marvel comics, set after Return of the Jedi, will follow the brutal fallout during the fall of the Empire from both sides of the battle."

I'm really hoping that Freed does this both more subtly and successfully than Inferno Squad. That was one of the few books where my first impressions of the Imperial characters were so lasting they never could progress beyond them.

The cover.... That.... Is a cover. And it's book one of three! Excellent.

It's also great to see Houser get an original mini following her adaptation work.

TrandoJedi, Daneira and KerkKorpil like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I would be worried but the comic is being written by Jody Houser, and she's been killing it so far with the Age of Republic...So I'm not worried about that.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  12. KerkKorpil

Nov 7, 2016
    Oh team! More info from the Del Rey Twitter!

FYI #AlphabetSquadron:
    Cover pilot: Yrica Quell, Imperial defector. She flies an X-wing.
    What's Alphabet Squadron doing? Tracking down a mysterious lethal force of TIE fighters.
    Who told them they could do that? New Republic General Hera Syndulla. She's kind of a big deal.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, did that bit only apply to the comic? Ok then, that helps as yeah, Houser's great. Have you tried her Faith run yet Jid?

****, yes.

DarthJaceus and KerkKorpil like this.
  14. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Omg!!!! This is exciting news! Those covers are amazing and I love the coordination!! I was hoping Alphabet Squadron would be a trilogy. I suspect both will be pre Jakku. I'm hoping for more in that time period. There's a lot more to see of Cinder, the gap between Aftermath and Life Debt, and the three battles of Naboo (I believe these are distinct from Cinder). The comic makes me think pre Jakku because that's the only time the Empire would be mobilizing a fighter squadron to protect its assets. I like the idea of seeing more of an Imperial POV post Endor. Especially when it sounds like they'll be the antagonists for the books.

All of this sounds really exciting

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Empire post-Jedi but pre-Jakku is a fascinating area to explore. What happens when you go from being utterly used to being able to bring overwhelming force to solve every problem and then, all of a sudden, you can't?

JediBatman and JediKnight75 like this.
  16. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Will the potential of delays on the marvel side affect the novels in anyway ? I.E I know this is a dc comics example but it illustrates my concern. So doomsday clock was suppose to finish this year but its delayed a bunch to the point the final issue comes out sometime in late 2020 thus crippling whatever pay off the Rebirth status quo of dc was suppose to have with doomsday clock .

So what I'm asking is If any of the issues are delayed cause of the art or something would it potentially affect The novels in plot spoilers or release dates, Etc or is the crossover aspect so small that it wouldn't even affect anything ?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Doomsday Clock isn't at all representative of comics - did anyone really think Gary Frank would do 12 monthly issues in a row? Nope.

Going by the info above, TIE Fighter is set in the OT era, with the Imperials pilots on top; Alphabet Squadron is later, after the regime they served is falling. So, no impact at all.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Jedi Ben I have not sadly, just her Age of Republic stuff

Also HERA!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, how can I put this? Ah yes: You absolutely should.

20. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    It is unlikely that any scheduling snafus with one would cause a delay in the other. Also - not exactly trying to speak for my Marvel friends - but we've been working on this long enough to be pretty confident everything is going to come together in a timely fashion, and on the schedules that work for both novels and comics respectively.

Also +1 for Jody Houser . She's brilliant.

21. KerkKorpil

Nov 7, 2016
    No, both are in the same timeline, per the SW.com post:

Daneira likes this.
  22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    they obvious did and I know but we do have a event in marvel that might take away from the ability to completely have this on time with their War of Realms but we shall see. I think it will be fine going with that info but u never know

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    @KerkKorpil :oops:Clearly doing too much skim-reading!
    Nah, you can relax - that could affect superhero continuity but not Star Wars.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Frikkin hell yeah,

General Hera Syndulla leading Alphabet Squadron

cross over with comics

this sounds amazing

Supreme Leader Woke and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Definitely! There's so much going on. What I like is it's not just the Imperials suddenly on the defensive, but the Empire is literally self destructing. It's very fascinating, especially if they tie in the implications of Cinder which we've never seen. The current stories have only included two attacks and then references to more. We know it went on for three months. This means it concludes right before Aftermath. What I've Yrica Quell defects because of Cinder and the novel is set in its aftermath? There should be a lot of story potential in that time period. It seems likely they're hunting down the squadron from the comic. What if it's Yrica's former squadron? That could be interesting. Regardless of what they do, this is going to be a lot of fun. And with Houser and Freed, I know this will be well done.

mattman8907 and Jedi Ben like this.