main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT State why you love the Prequels!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ForceGhostAnakin, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I'm 30, so while I grew up watching ROTJ every week, it wasn't till I turned 15 and AOTC came out that Star Wars really came alive for me. I'm probably still a Star Wars fan to this day because of that film. I was always heavily into politics, so the landscape of the PT really appealed to me, and I felt AOTC delivered on everything I ever wanted Star Wars to be. It makes me kind of sad that the majority rank it at the bottom, but at the same time it's nice that I see something in it that I feel many don't, and it's always a fun debate to have with people who prefer the OT. I remember this time I was at a bar and this guy was in disbelief that Clones was my favorite Star Wars film and we spent a good hour debating the merits of the PT. It started out kind of heated, but things settled down and we ultimately had a good time. And typically I'm pretty contrarian so it makes sense that I'd love everyone's least favorite Star Wars film the most.

Merrin, Tonyg, Sith Lord 2015 and 6 others like this.
  2. Clint Bevis

Clint Bevis Jedi Padawan

Jan 16, 2018
    1. Palpatine in his prime was epic
    2. Ewan McGregor was amazing, when I think of Obi Wan now, I think of Ewan's character, not Alec Guiness'
    3. Seeing Vader's backstory
    4. Revenge of the Sith - my favourite movie of the saga
    5. Anakin v Obi Wan on Mustafar including Obi Wan's monologue in front of a burning Anakin - iconic!
    6. Palpatine manipulating Anakin's to the darkside and then syphoning the life out of Padme to sustain him after his injuries
    7. Natalie Portman [face_love]
    8. They were original and expanded the galaxy
    9. Iconic Yoda lines: Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering (amongst others)
    10. Iconic Palpatine lines: I can feel your anger, it gives you focus, makes you stronger (amongst others)
    11. If you include the Clone Wars animated series (which was prequel era) - Anakin's character was enjoyable

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Merrin and lookameatbag like this.
  3. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Why do you love eps: 1,2 & 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I prefer the PT's brand of character drama. I get a lot of subtle maturity from it, and in general dig the melancholic atmosphere driving much of the trilogy. The world-building and general design mentality from concept to execution is fantastic. In general the PT just strikes me as a personal and creative work more so than simple brand extension. I used to like Star Wars mostly for the climactic action scenes, but the prequels redefined that view a bit, making me appreciate quiet moments of character interaction just as much.

Merrin, Tonyg, Count Yubnub and 5 others like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Merged into identical, existing thread.

6. Alpha Spook

Alpha Spook Jedi Padawan

Jun 27, 2018
    1. A+ world building
    2. The aesthetics are amazing and really capture what the galaxy looked like before the dark times and its gradual decent
    3. Adds depth to the OT
    4. Anakin is such a great complex and tragic character
    5. The soundtrack
    6. The duels

7. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I love the prequels because they were my generation's Star Wars.

8. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I love the prequel because....its GL Star Wars!

I love the back stories....I don't even mind Jar Jar :)

9. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    The world building was awesome.

The duels were epic.

The scale of all the movies were huge. The galaxy seemed huge.

New Aliens

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Why I love the prequels?
    Ewan Mcgregor's take on Obi-Wan.
    They give the back story for Anakin and we see him become Darth Vader.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    My five reasons for loving the PT:

1. The very GL/SW feeling world building. It really expanded the scope of the GFFA and by extension, my enjoyment of SW.
    2. The creative, yet entertaining action/fight sequences, not just mindless action-the things we saw happening had a purpose in the scene. This is something lost in CG-heavy films today. The CG looks dated compared to today, sure-but it was cutting edge at the time, and IMO ROTS still looks just as good as anything that's come out these days.
    3. The choreography and frequency of the lightsaber duels, and seeing the Jedi at the height of their power.
    4. The intimate following of Anakin's struggle. It really feels like close attention was paid to crafting his character in just the right way, all building up to making his turn to the darkside believable.
    5. THE STORY. All of the story elements, the developments of the plot from film to film, the more romantic tone and connections to ancient mythology, etc. It's all just...so ambitious, so massive. I mean, even someone who doesn't like SW can still relate to it in their basic sense of humanity, right and wrong, love and loss, choices and consequences, all of it. Say what one will about its occasional shortcomings-certain acting scenes, Jar Jar, whatever-there's no denying, it's a great story!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  12. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    ...Is "Obi-Wan" a valid answer? :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Darth_Nathan

Darth_Nathan Jedi Knight

Jul 27, 2018
    I enjoy the prequels for the following reasons:

1. Ewan McGregor's performance as Obi-Wan Kenobi. To my mind, he captured the character perfectly and I could wholly believe that he would grow to become Alec Guinness' Old Ben in the OT. It was th prequel trilogy that turned me into a McGregor fan.

2. Seeing Ian McDiarmid return as Palpatine and charting his journey from ambitious senator to Galactic Emperor. Watching the character slowly morph from trustworthy ally into greedy and self-serving opportunist was utterly intriguing and full credit to actor and writer.

3. Seeing the Jedi Order as they existed prior to their downfall. Not only that, but seeing them as fallible characters capable of making mistakes and rash judgements made them entirely believable.

4. Some of the visuals, especially Coruscant and Mustafar, were wonderful to behold.

5. Seeing the initial meeting of R2-D2 and C-3PO and watching their friendship blossom.

6. The pod race on Tatooine. I know some don't like it, but as a motor racing fan in real life it was such an unexpected surprise and a visual treat.

7. John Williams' score for each film. Any Star Wars film would be incomplete without a Williams score to back it up.

8. Seeing the birth of Darth Vader and hearing James Earl Jones' iconic voice again.

9. Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman's performances.

10. The designs for some of the new (and returning) alien races.

11. Droidekas.

Merrin, Tonyg, DARTH_BELO and 2 others like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    1. Ewan McGregor’s performance as Obi-Wan. He became my favorite character in the SW Universe due to Ewan’s excellent acting and the character’s fight style.

2. The chance to see the Jedi do what they do.

3. Understanding why Anakin fell.

4. The variety of genres covered in the trilogy.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I can sympathize with you here. I actually don't have a favorite or least favorite Star Wars movie, I still love them all equally, always have. I hope that remains the case, but of course, you never know. I assumed that would come to an end once Lucas handed over the saga, but it has not, I still love them all. That being said, I also feel bad that AOTC gets picked on a lot because I'll never personally "see" the reasons, as I love it as much as any other SW movie. In fact, it has and will always have the record for my theatrical viewings -- 54, and 55 including the marathon a few years ago. It came along at a time in my life that was a complete low moment, and it was really the only good memory of the time. I had one bad event after another, it seemed like everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, and when AOTC came to theaters I had just quit my first college, was waiting to attend another university closer to home, so I had nothing but time really. That particular year including AOTC I attended something like 240 theatrical screenings of movies; I was also running a critical review Website, thus the high count.

I think what I love most about AOTC is the sense of mystery and discovery, which to me makes it fairly unique among the SW films. I think TFA actually comes closest perhaps with the "Where is Luke?" narrative drive, but I always loved AOTC for the deepening mystery of what is really going on here? Like you said, I like the political intrigue, but I also thought the battle scenes were fantastic, I love Kamino, I love the chase through Coruscant -- which is my favorite planet by far in Star Wars -- and the bar scene, showing a bit of the underworld. Then Yoda with a lightsaber. To me, AOTC has so many highlights, it has always been a film I think is extremely underrated.

I'm the kind of fan who tends to smile whenever another fan picks a "non-standard" choice for their favorite Star Wars movie. Since I want to see all of the movies get love, that makes me happy. So if I met a fan who said AOTC was their favorite, it would make me really happy, because of course it would mean they see in the movie what I see in it, too. That means really most any SW movie besides ANH or ESB as your favorite, I smile. Not to say there's anything wrong with having ESB or ANH as your favorites, especially because ANH made so many people (older fans) fans to begin with, so that's totally understandable. AND I admit I became a fan seeing ANH: SE in theaters. I grew up with Star Wars, and enjoyed it, but only really became a die-hard fan that night I saw ANH in theaters for the first time. It was magical, because I felt like I had never actually seen the movie, not this way, and it left a real impact to say the least.

Sometimes, as a fan, you just have to enjoy what you enjoy and not worry about it too much. I will never for instance be able to see why ESB is "better" than any other Star Wars movie, I just can't see it. It just seems like another chapter of the greatest story to me, and I love it a lot, but it doesn't hold any more magic for me than any of the other films. Obviously, for many fans, it does, but I'll never understand their perspective of why because I have just as many favorite moments or scenes or aspects of the other films. ESB doesn't stand out to me.

16. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    What I love most about them is they seem the most fully realized expression of George's vision. The vitality of my love for Star Wars as an adult surged because of his continued dedication to its development.

17. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I’ll always respect AOTC because I had my first celebrity crush with Natalie Portman. I was actually depressed for about 2 weeks that I was younger and I’d never meet her or be with her... I’d stare at her pictures in my “Disney adventures” magazines for hours at a time... I loved her.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Dude, same. I listened to this song a lot:

(You know how when you were a kid and you'd listen to a song, and you'd always think it was about the exact highly specific emotional situation you were in, even though it was the height of narcissism to think that way? Well...I'm pretty sure I was justified in this case, LOL.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    KyleKartan likes this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Similar for me. The PT kept SW alive for me as far as still maintaining a high appreciation for the series as an adult. If not for the PT I would probably view SW as just another abandoned interest from my childhood.

Tonyg, KyleKartan and jedi-soon like this.
  20. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Actually, it is kind of my favorite as well, though I'm not 100% sure how exactly to rank the episodes. If it makes any sense, the movie as a whole would be tied with ROTS and ANH on first place. So yes, I could easily say that AOTC is actually my favorite.

Tonyg likes this.
  21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Why do I love the prequels? Easy.
    - Anakin's backstory and the different relationship he developed with other characters.
    - They showed how and why did the Republic became an Empire.
    - Jar Jar Binks who made me laugh so many times.
    - The scope. It wasn't just about 4/5 characters, it's about institutions and Lucas clearly benefited from new technological innovations to better show us the GFFA that he imagined.
    - Padme, like her daughter, is a great political woman but she's not perfect especially in romantic matters. She did mistakes that ultimately ended up being her undoing. Some of her choices can even be seen as morally wrong if you want to believe so.
    - They showed us what the Jedi were like before their downfall. The good and the bad sides.
    - John Williams at his best.
    - Shmi's death scene really helped me better understand Anakin's motivations and his actions in AotC and RotS, even if I don't agree with what he did. I can say Anakin's arc is the most consistent one because they showed us how he thinks and reacts to certain things so it makes sense even if I wanted him to make the right choice.

For now, that's all I can think about. I'll add more once I'll remember.

Merrin and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Some of my favorite things in no particular order:

* QGJ doing his thing in TPM
    * Mace Windu. Can't help it. Don't care about any of the criticisms.
    * The epic-in-scope world building. Really visually stunning.
    * Duel of the fates. Like with Mace Windu, I don't care at all about the criticisms of that fight scene. I enjoy it as art.
    * Shmi as a character and for her influence on Anakin. I think she is such a pivotally important character to the saga and she has in a really positive way impacted how I watch Vader in the OT.
    * Sheev and his ridiculously badass master plan. He's so scary and awesome.
    * Seeing the Jedi in the height of their power but with really believable flaws. What I love about the Jedi in the PT is I think they were outplayed by a mastermind, but they don't come out of it any less heroic and awesome in my mind. They weren't turned into fools. They had very human flaws. They were great, but Sheev was simply greater. I like the battle of wits and seeing all of these different, flawed characters trying so hard to do the right thing while totally unknowingly doing the wrong thing. It's so relatable.
    * Even though this technically belongs with world building because I thought of it among other things when I wrote that, I'm going to give it its own bullet point. Padme's wardrobe/makeup. Holy crap I loved everything about the design for Queen Amidala, especially in TPM. Just gorgeous and epic. Also young Queen Amidala's plan and execution of her plan to retake Naboo. She gave me Princess Leia vibes during Act III of TPM. I'll always love her character just for that bit of SW.

Merrin and Tonyg like this.
  23. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    Because the prequels look like Star Wars, they smell like Star Wars ... the are Star Wars!

24. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    The reason the new movies don't feel like SW (or they feel "least" like Star Wars) is the one missing ingredient = George Lucas. I'm not bashing the new movies. I like them, just not as much as the first 6 and TCW. TFA is my least favorite. I like the film, just not as much as the ones that came before. TLJ was much better than TFA, but still not as much as the first 6.

For me, NONE of the characters were really ground breaking. I know a lot of folks hate Jar Jar, but him, Watto, and Sabolba, and some of the other digital characters were very interesting. Watto was very different. Just like Yoda when he first came on the scene. Then there's the improvement of Yoda to a digital character was nice, too.

Also, but the world building was just not there. I-III had some very creative world building, but that world building also made it similar to what we might expect in real life, just like IV-VI. Naboo, Courasant, Mustafar, Utapau, Tatooine, Dagobah, and a host of other worlds had similar looks to earth like places, but he put enough details to make it look like they were from far off places.

25. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    I have to agree with you, I'm afraid!