main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT [DDC 2019] Written in Sand

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CaraJinn, Dec 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    fun with Obi. But he will deliver Luke soon

AzureAngel2, CaraJinn and Vek Talis like this.
  2. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    The negotiations were short, eh? Where have we heard that phrase before?

AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL I love his commentary on the other passengers and also on the pleasures of every-day necessities like showers [face_laugh] [face_mischief] =D=

4. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 7: The Homestead

Oh, I fell asleep while writing last evening. Obviously the journey through the desert took it's toll on me. After I got the eopie I tucked Luke under my robe (again) and mounted the animal. I sort of prefer transport that involves two or four legs. (Not overly fond of more legs than that, though.) I still miss faithful Boga which saved my life on Utapau when the clones opened fire upon me. Well, she might not have liked the desert. I sure don't. It's…too much sand.

I must admit, though, that it beholds it's own beauty. When we approached the Lars' farm it was nearly evening and I could se dust devils dancing in front of us. It has to be that huge mountain range in the south which creates the gushes of wind. The eopie had made good progress through the desert so we actually made it before nightfall.

Beru Lars came out to meet us. On the contrary to her husband she seems to be a very warm and kindhearted woman. Owen Lars seems to be more reserved. Especially towards Jedi. Well, especially towards me, actually. At first he didn't even want to greet me, but after a while I got the explanation. He had a close relationship to his stepmother, Shmi, and felt that the Jedi had denied her contact with her beloved son. Which, in a way, is true, I guess. Thanks to Beru's hospitality I was allowed to stay overnight though.

But we agreed that I shall keep away from this place.

I will keep my promise in that respect. Mostly. I do not want to bring danger to their home and it would not be good if someone spotted a Jedi on their doorstep. But I will watch from afar. In case they need me, I'll be there in a moment.

I said goodbye to Luke last evening. I brought him outdoors and we looked upon the stars. The entire galaxy is out there and if he had been allowed the life he was born to I'm sure his father would have shown him most of it as soon as he was old enough. Instead it has come to this - he's an unaware refugee here and I'm most certainly wanted by the entire Empire now, in case someone suspects I've survived.

I'll miss that little fellow. Without him I'm not sure if I could have made it this far. I would have broken down in a heap of sobbing mess long before even leaving Polis Massa. No, can't think of that now. Luke will get a good life here with his new parents. Beru will love him. She already does, and Owen will take good care of him as well.

If not, a very harsh jedi will turn up at his doorstep and tell him some truths about caring for younglings.

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and Vek Talis like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Lovely insights about Beru and Owen. Obi-Wan is already attached to Luke and misses him. @};-

6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    This.

And I find it ironic that Obi-Wan is complaining about the sand.

Also (paraphrased): "If Owen doesn't take good care of Luke, I'm gonna come over and tell him a thing." Like. Somebody's Daddy instincts are showing.

7. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    As good an explanation I've heard as to why Owen was such an old grouch. :p

Good journal. :)

8. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 8: Mirage

I really, really don't like the desert. I've been here for approximately one day now, well two if I count in the journey from Anchorhead, and I don't like it a bit. Honestly, I have no idea of where to go or what to do. I don't know what I expected. Throughout the day I wondered whether my subconsciousness had got the idea that I could stay with the Lars' and become Luke's favourite uncle. If that was what I imagined my head is in an even worse condition than I thought.

I'm clueless .

What is clear to me is that I cannot stay right here. I will need shelter and I will need water. The water Beru sent with me will not last for long. But where in all the Sith hells, no - bad expression right now- can I find that here out in the middle of absolute nowhere? I think I just have to head for the mountains. At least I can find shelter for the sun there. I hope.

I can most certainly not stay here in the middle of the desert. I probably couldn't anyway, but definitely not after today. It was horrible.

It was about mid-day when I thought I heard screams and I turned the eopie to check in case someone were in danger. But the desert was totally empty. Instead I got some kind of flashbacks which were not my own. I saw a burning village and I saw a tall being murdering an entire tribe of tuskens.

Force, I believe what I saw was Anakin. If it wasn't a mirage. I pray that it was.

There was so much pain. So much grief. So much anger.

Don't let it be Anakin.

It's hard enough living with what I saw in the Temple. It's hard enough knowing what happened on Mustafar. Knowing that he did something here - it would be totally devastating. It would have been so long ago that I should have seen it coming. I should have seen it. I was his Master for Force's sake, how could I not? And I didn't. I knew he was restless, I knew he had the youth's overconfidence in himself for such a long time, but Force, if what I saw happening here was really true and it was Anakin, then he must have fallen so long ago. And I never, ever noticed. How could I not see something as dark and terrible like that?

How could I not?

He was my Padawan, my responsibility.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, how heart-tugging!

First we see him grappling with the real issues of living in a desert: needing to find a place out of the actual heat. :eek:

Then the "mirage"... leading to the thought: How did I miss it? Why didn't I notice Anakin's state of mind, etc.?

The downward spiral for Anakin did take place over a long time period, and since it was gradual, any "what was that"? Obi-Wan might have felt or thought would likely be pushed to the side when things "got back to normal", or the indicators were more often subtle, besides being transient.

10. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Poor Oafy-Wan. Stumbling down the long, slippery slope of 'what-if' land. Nice inclusion of a flashback - that wasn't his - though. Hopefully he will explore it, as well as try to contact Qui-Gon.

11. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    He really has some guilt trip going on.
    Yeah, more stumbling is to come. He's not in the best of places right now.

12. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 9: Sadness

After last day's events I really made up my mind. I had to head for the mountains. There is really no way that I can survive out in the open desert. The Tuskens can, and the Jawas too, but I cannot. At least not yet. I still have much to learn about this place.So I found my way here. There is a glimmer of hope here. I can see traces of vegetation, but I'm not going into the mountains tonight. I want to be able to see how it appears.

I must be more exhausted than I thought, because after the horrible sights from what I believe must have once been an old Tusken camp, I really thought I heard my Master's voice for a moment. By all of Hoth's ice caves, the man is dead. He died fifteen years ago, and I witnessed it. Dead men doesn't speak.

But the Tuskens did. Sort of.

So for a moment I chose to believe I actually heard his soothing voice.

Sometimes I fear I bring death to those close to me. There have been so many. First there was Bruck Chun even though we weren't close in that context. Then it was Tahl and Qui-Gon. And Siri. And Satine. And now, Force help me, most of the Jedi Order. And Anakin. I wasn't the direct reason for them passing, at least not all of them, but yet I feel responsible.

And I wonder why I have to live on? Why couldn't Cody and his men have hit me? I don't deserve to live. Why me, when so many other good men and women didn't? And yet, there's still too much Jedi in me to throw myself over my lightsaber and fix it myself. I promised to watch over Luke and that's exactly what I'm going to do, no matter what.

He's the only one I have left.

Tomorrow I'll be going into the mountains and with some luck (Oh, who am I fooling? Luck? Me?) I'll find a place to settle down.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh ... [:D] [:D] [:D] !! Such a realistic, but hard, reaction to so much loss! @};-

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Poor Obi with his reactions

15. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    I have a feeling he'll find a nice little hovel to crouch in for about 16 years or so. :D

16. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    After commenting to a lot of fan fics today, I had to come in here and write a few words.

And this is not only because I ate a lot of Norwegian Elk meat related goodies at the International Green Week here in Berlin yesterday.

I had to pop in, because your Obi-Wan is gorgeous. He is wise and foolish at the same time, sad and happy, humble and arrogant. And you take us on this adventure to Tatooine along side Baby Luke. Thanks!

17. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    He has a lot to think about at this point in his life, that's for sure

Hmmm, you may even be right.

Oh!!! Obi-Wan is gorgeous. Period. He's an easy character to write as he is the ultimate hero. Oh, wait? Biased? I?

AzureAngel2 and Vek Talis like this.
  18. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 10: Home Sweet Home

Today has been a most eventful day. I've found myself a home, I believe. After a bad nights sleep I woke up and realised that Emphie had disappeared. (Yes, I've actually named the eopie.) I couldn't spot her anywhere in the desert so I came to the conclusion that she must have continued towards the mountains. She sure had. I didn't have to search for long until I found her. She was probably hungry because she'd found her way into a valley which cannot be seen from the desert and there was actually some vegetation. Not much, but I assume an eopie takes what little it can get.

And more important, where there's vegetation of some kind, there's also water. Who should have thought that. Real, natural water. Here? On Tatooine.

I was flabbergasted.

I began to search for the well where the water must come from, but I found none. What I found, was almost as interesting though. I found a staircase. It was nothing like the grand staircase leading up to the Temple. It was rough and obviously made from natural rocks, but it really was there.

I let Emphie enjoy the bushes while I climbed up. Hopefully she won't leave as long as she can find something to eat and some water. I really wouldn't like to have to cross the desert by foot next time I check on Luke. I was counting on that I might find a neighbour who would not be overly happy to see me so I proceeded with some caution. Who would ever think about settling down here on purpose? Oh, well, I guess I do, actually.

But there was no need for fear. The cave or shed or whatever it is had obviously been abandoned long ago because no angry desert hermit came running out to blast me into oblivion. Instead I probably scared the wits of some desert rodents that obviously had claimed this place. I guess I have to challenge the small furry creatures about the right to this property. After all they can settle down in smaller places than I.

i was surprised to see some water trickling down a wall in the inner part of the cave. It seems like most of this place is a natural cave in the mountainside and that someone has built an outer wall to close it off. I have no idea where the water come from. My best assumption is that it somehow condensates higher up in the mountains and trickle down here.

So, from now on this will be my "Home Sweet Home". It's actually relatively cold in here and when I find something to close off the entrance with, I may even keep the night chill away. I haven't frozen as much through a night as I did the last couple of nights since I was on Illum finding the crystal for my lightsaber.

Tomorrow I'll start fixing up the place, unless the "revenge of the rodents" kill me throughout the night. I hope they don't come back with family and friends to get me out of here.

And, I hope I don't choke from all the dust before morning comes.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nothing like having something to focus on to get him in a better frame of mind. :) His typical wit is returning. :D

20. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    Excellent update. I suppose he'll start wizarding around soon, so Owen will be able to say "that old wizard's back" every now and again.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    yes a home and now some decorating and he is settled

22. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Decorating home is definitely coming up. Posting today is a bit short after last post, but hey - it's February AND it's a diary after all - and Obi keeps writing.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 11: Housecleaning

There was no "attacked by rodents" incident through the night. Actually the night proceeded as peacefully as can be expected right now. Which means I hardly slept at all. Apart from the accidental nightmares I was sneezing the entire night. I really should have cleaned up this place before I went to bed. Well, since I don't have a bed per se, I guess I went to the floor. Er…that expression reminds me of outer rim bar fights. Maybe I'll rewrite it later?

So, before the suns rose I was up and found my way down the stairs again. I definitely needed something to wipe out the dust and sand from this place, and some branches and twigs from the bushes down in the valley would do fine. The rodents had gnawed their way through most of the old furniture that was in here. Which in practice means a sleeping mat and some kind of a stuffed chair. I really wonder how that came here? Who would ever carry such a monstrosity out here in the wilderness?

I assume I'll never get an answer to that. It's a pity actually. It sort of reminded me of Qui-Gon's stuffed old armchair back home. For a moment, just before I fell asleep, I could almost see Qui-Gon sitting comfortably in it. I must have drifted off to sleep.

I threw it out. I guess the heat from the suns will kill most of the bugs that may have occupied it so I can use it to lit a fire later on. Not that I compare my old Master to a bug, of course.

I managed to tie together a fairly efficient broom from the twigs so now my new quarters are reasonably clean. Well, at least free of sand. Mostly. I guess that's the best I can hope for in this place.

I will need to get to Dannar's Claim eventually. I need a sleeping mat and some tools, but for now I'll have to make do with what I can find of twigs and then the blankets Beru Lars gave me. It will be more comfortable than many other places I've slept through the years but in the long run I prefer a proper sleeping mat.

I found an old evaporator outside the cave too. If I can get that one working again I might even get water enough to wash my clothes every now and then. For now, I just have to put them out in the sun as well, and leave them there until evening. I do not like the thought of walking around without any clothes on, but they're simply too sweaty and dusty now. The scolding heat should dry them out and to some extent cleanse them - I hope.

Hopefully there won't be any Tusken bypassers until I'm decently dressed again. I really would not like to engage in a fight right now. It would be so…undignified.

Actually, I hope there won't be any Tuskens at all.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Steady progress in making things comfortable

25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I can see that he settles in. But he still has much to learn about his new environment. Of course there can be water in a desert landscape. Mars, Dune and several hostile places on Earth hold surprises for its visitors.