main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Just announced on facebook:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    DarthJaceus and PhoenixRebel like this.
  2. PhoenixRebel

PhoenixRebel Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2019
    Looking forward to this as really enjoyed her phasma novel
    [face_alien]

Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I'm not suuuuper jazzed about the wave of theme park tie-ins, but I like Dawson's stuff enough that I'll definitely pick this up. Hoping it's set after TLJ, which would be cool to give a sense of the state of the galaxy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I love how much they’re going in for the Galaxy’s Edge Park. Really shows how big it’ll be and like we’re actually visiting a planet from Star Wars. Excited for all of these!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  5. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Think of it less as "a park tie-in" and more of "a new corner of Star Wars to explore." Yes, we're absolutely timing the books to the opening of the parks to capitalize on interest (from attendees, and people - like me - who can't visit the park). We're not just talking about a new planet with some notes about geography. We're talking about a living and breathing world, with detailed history, participants and goings on.

That's a rich place to explore many book, comic and other media stories. Yes, there's a park experience that's goes along with it, but in creating that immersive park experience,they've created a playground for storytelling. This is very similar to when we sit in meetings and crack stories for new books that involve a bunch of world-building in general. It's not all that dissimilar from deep diving into "What is Canto Bight like as a place? Or what kind of settlements and social groups exist on Jakku" so that an author can go there and write a story.

The difference is, you can actually go to this place. Which is amazing.

6. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So when dose the Journey to episode 9 get slapped on it?

7. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    What would you assume that's going to happen?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. BeesInABar

Sep 20, 2015

Not an explicit confirmation, but our spy may be Vi Moradi! I am pretty excited to see that character again.
    @DarthInternous Why can't you go to the park? Some kind of legal thing with the publishing contract? That's sad.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  10. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    So that’s 4 novels in half a year! A much better pace compared to last year!

April - Master and Apprentice
    June - Alphabet Squadron
    July - Thrawn: Treason
    September - Black Spire

Plus I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a Fallen Order tie-in and a Ep IX tie-in as well this year.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  11. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    @BeesInABar No nothing like that. Like many people, I cannot afford to go to the park, and while I suppose there may be a work opportunity, at some point; I never make any assumptions that I will be afforded nor will have earned such privileges.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. BeesInABar

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah, cost is a big barrier for me, too, but I'm hoping some year after my friends stop getting married I'll be able to scrape up enough for a trip. Hope you get a chance, too!

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    SPACEBALLS: THE THEME PARK!

14. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Won't it be a bit much if they release fallen order tie-ins as well? 2019 is already packed with Star Wars content :confused:

15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Never enough Del Rey novels if you ask me

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    What is the anticipated cost to get into Galaxy's Edge?

17. BeesInABar

Sep 20, 2015
    Not sure about the park specifically, but a Disney vacation in general ain't cheap.
    But I don't want to divert this conversation too far into park-not-book stuff!
    Suppose Cardinal will still be tagging along with Vi?

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I went many years ago to Disneyland but it was part of a work convention (so free to me). We had the run of the park for the evening.

Looking forward to the book - I liked Phasma.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, I highly doubt I’ll ever get a chance to go to galaxy’s edge, but I’m thrilled that it’s leading to more books and stuff.

20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    This book sounds really interesting and fun! I like Delilah Dawson's work and something this close to the ST will be exciting. Hopefully Vi Moradi is the spy. I have wanted to see more of her since Phasma. My one concern is that as a prequel to the park, the story will end with a more to come feel. Since I know I'll enjoy the story, I don't want to feel like I can't see the next part unless I can get to the park.

21. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Oh awesome! I was just thinking about how much I enjoyed Deliah Dawson's previous Star Wars work, and like others, I hope the spy is Vi Moradi as well! I enjoyed her character.

22. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Well Delilah S. Dawson writes very well and Phasma was very well written so this book should be interesting.

23. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Putting this in the spoiler tag as I'd just rather be safe than sorry on if someone considers a theme park rumour a spoiler or not as that seems to really vary:
    Vi would make sense, as in addition to the Women of the Galaxy book, she's been included in Galaxy's Edge material:
    [​IMG]

As other things on these cards are things we know will appear in the land (DJ-RX, Kylo, blue milk, a specific bounty hunter character in the cantina, Chewie and Hondo etc...), the rumour is that Vi will be a character in the land and involved in a possible action 'stage show' that gets bandied around every so often. Not so much a formal show as much as in the style of 2008's Indiana Jones fighting in Adventureland. Again, it's just a rumour, but it's one that seems more plausible to me, personally.

I'm looking forward to the book, as well as some of the other material they're putting out for Batuu in the coming months. Still need to read the second Thrawn though...

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I agree, and I am novel collector so this is great news to me

bsmith7174 likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wasn't sure what to make of this news but this? Pretty much sells me it because Canto Bight was a real gem of a book.