main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWCC Panels and Programming (and Queuing)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MotivateR5D4, Jun 8, 2018.

1. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    This is where the wrist bands are a good thing. If you aren't in line when they are passed out you don't get one. Stay in line or miss out.

2. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I saw a baby sleep in the overnight queue for the 40th as well as kids of all ages and they did very well. Honestly, i think people don’t try and just play the kids/ i can’t be on concrete too long card but I’m not a parent so i could be wrong. Thing is, no one really enjoys being in that queue hall for 17 hours if we had the option of a more comfortable way to get in the panel without it. The people who do the overnight are willing to sacrifice comfort, sleep, activities, a decent meal at times and so much more. And it sucks that times have changed and that seems to be the only way to get in big panels now but it is what it is. And the fact that it’s live streamed and also shown at the SWS stage live, I have no pity for the people who says they can’t do it for whatever reason. There’s a lot of different ways to see the panels now, it’s not like you miss out entirely.
    It’s like the people that cut in line cause of RP’s idiotic way to wristband the morning of the 40th panel causing people who were in the 3rd row queue being in the 5th row queue when they finished the track around the queue hall. I don’t care for the people who got in line on Tuesday because I feel they caused the queue panic that made that queue line fill up to capacity way early the next day but they were in line that long, they deserved to be first in line and I don’t blame them one bit for getting pissed that people rushed them during the wristband fiasco and stole their spot. Right now you earn that spot and if you aren’t willing to put in the time, you don’t deserve the reward.

In conclusion, line cutting of any kind is unacceptable imo

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I think it depends a lot on the kid. I think if the kid really wants to see the panel and it's explained beforehand what it will require and decides they want to do it, then they'll be fine. If it's a case where it's more the parents wanting to do it, that's when it can be tough.

ChrisLyne and Padme501st like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Friday was a nightmare for that as well. Of course, that may have been due to the 40th Anniversary Panel anticipation.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Not sure how comparable it will be but they do an excellent job with line/crowd control at C2E2 in McComick place, hoping that will be the same here.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The 40th anniversary panel was on the first day (Thursday). Thursday was the only day I had to use my VIP badge to avoid waiting to get in the building.

Completely different animal. It's not even in the same part of McCormick. At C2E2, the fandoms are split. A lot of people will want to see David Tennant and Matt Smith, but not everyone. At Celebration, the vast majority would like to go to the IX panel if they could. Sure there are different segments of the fandom, but overall, everyone at Celebration has the same overall interest.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Wow, I totally blanked. I was definitely there the day of the 40th panel, which for some reason I am remembering as a Friday [face_laugh]

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    C2E2 has been in different locations throughout McCormick over the years and it's always been well done - just saying there is some reason to hope it will be handled well there.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  9. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't think the building was the reason Orlando was so disorganized.

Padme501st and Darkslayer like this.
  10. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    In no way would I want to turn this into a ST bashing session, but your post made me think. Do we think there could be any chance that the interest in the IX panel could be somewhat muted due to the way VIII divided some of the fanbase?

I agree that as Star Wars fans, we share similar interests, but the reception to VIII has split that fanbase to an extent. VII was generally well accepted by the fanbase and most attending a Celebration in 2017 would have been very excited about VIII, not to mention the fact that it was the 40th anniversary of the OT.

But now, I'm seeing a bit more of a "choose your own adventure" aspect to the fanbase. Some are choosing to ignore the ST, but are still in for something like a Celebration due to their own personal interests. Whether that is a panel dedicated to the OT, the books, the animation, new TV shows, autographs, etc. Interest in IX doesn't necessarily equate to attendance at the con.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and everyone will want to be in this panel, but I know enough of my friends that would go to Celebration, but wouldn't touch a ST panel with a ten foot pole. These are people that would have been excited for a VIII panel 2 years ago. maybe I'm just trying to give myself some wishful thinking that I'll be able to get in a bit easier too...

Padme501st likes this.
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I've found that, generally, the fans who spend the money to go to Celebration are interested in the new films. If the backlash was so strong, tickets wouldn't have sold the way they did.

I see a lot of interest in the IX panel online. Now, that's the die hards of the die hards, but I haven't really seen people say they are boycotting the IX panel because of TLJ.

12. darthjason127

darthjason127 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    IMO (you bring up a really great point) it will be tough to really pinpoint if that would have any impact
    I mean getting a chance to see all these characters (from both 7 and 8) would be a pretty awesome experience
    Plus being in the moment, FOMO, seeing the trailer, etc... I do not think it will live up to the 40th panel as those are some tough shoes to follow.

13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know, I've come to actually quite enjoy doing overnights. It ranks right up there with everything else I think fondly of when I look back on my convention experiences. I have a few really good friends that I've met from being in line with them at overnights at Celebrations and other conventions I've been to, which I otherwise wouldn't had I not done it. To me, it's part of an overall convention experience to at least do one overnight per convention. Even if I had the option to not have to do it and still be secure in my seat, I think I still would. That's just me though. Beyond one overnight, however, it can seem daunting, and it's based on the experience whether or not I would actually do more than one. But I totally get why others would pass on it if they had the chance.

I agree that it was those who had been lined up on Tuesday that caused the panic on Wednesday, and I didn't care for it either. Even as late as early afternoon on Wed they were still the only the ones in line, and it was clear they didn't need to be there all that time. They were even told that numerous times and still chose to ignore it. And as we mentioned, it was all the casual con goers who saw that on Wed, panicked, and then went and lined up. Which then caused all the Celebration veterans, who knew what to expect, to kind of panic and rush to get in the line themselves. It was a cascading mess that I watched happen from Wed afternoon onward.

It was also further complicated by the unforgivably small space ReedPop held that opening panel in. Which lies squarely on them for not doing something about that ahead of time. On one end, I'd like to think it was a major oversight. On the other, a part of me thinks that's being naive, since they've held Celebrations in Orlando before, and that they knew it would cause such a demand for the event overall, which it did. I don't know.

Fortunately, Chicago has the big arena. So I think many, if not all, of the issues we experienced in Orlando will be mitigated in Chicago based on the arena size alone. Hopefully that's the case, as was already proven in Anaheim in 2015.

And hey, at least you get to be little miss VIP this year and don't have to bother with lines, so you don't have to worry about any of this. Better take advantage, you never know when it will happen again! :p

ChrisLyne and Padme501st like this.
  14. BrentC007

BrentC007 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 6, 2002
    I'm anxious to find out what kind of panel they are going to have for The Clone Wars. I'm sure they took note of the huge turnout and reaction to the SDCC 10th anniversary panel last year and the excitement of the show returning for another season. If there is a panel, I wonder if they'll show a new trailer or even screen the first episode.

15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, you're weird. :p

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Trailer at minimum, but I'd expect an episode.

ChrisLyne and Darkslayer like this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I've found that it's the event itself that always supersedes what the general consensus regarding any particular movie is. And it's especially the case for the introduction of something new within in the franchise. Being there and experiencing it, being the first to be there and experience it, has been a long standing tradition for SW fans since it began in 77. So even if somebody absolutely hated something that came out previously, they would still have a strong desire to attend any event that introduced whatever is to come thereafter.

So many people came out who otherwise wouldn't have because of the fact that it was the 40th anniversary, I don't think that will be topped again until the 50th (assuming folks are still around for it, which we hope they all are).

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    You better watch it buddy, or I'm going to sick the angry mob on you and announce "LINE CUTTER!" when you try joining me in the overnight.

ChrisLyne and star_wars_is_good like this.
  19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The joke's on you. I'm already in line!

20. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    So, how early did one have to line up for the VII panel in 2015 in Anaheim? From what I'm reading here that may be a better gauge for your lineup time in Chicago vs. what happened in Orlando in 2017 given what has been noted as an extremely small space for that convention. With a 10k arena, do we think that it could be much much later?

Also, does anyone think there is even a chance that to mitigate this, the convention organizers might just throw everyone a curve and say that to make it "easier" on everyone that tickets will be sold for the panel rather than free on a first come, first serve basis to attendees. Before you say it's out of the realm of possibility, think of the fact that this is a separate facility to the actual convention. I could see them thinking this makes sense even if the cost is somewhat nominal. And, make it so that your name is tied to it and only you could use it to get in. I'm not saying this is a great idea or even that I'm advocating for it, just thinking outside the box if they are worried about people camping out overnight, backpacks, etc.

21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    There's no going back. Orlando would have been chaos with a bigger venue. Even the overflow rooms capped before midnight (which was another few thousand people). If there's one thing they've done well since Disney took over is they have epic panels. People know this and don't want to miss out. People didn't know what they were getting in Anaheim. London was smaller.

Selling tickets would be awful. It'd be like trying to get VIP where they sell out instantly and it becomes luck.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @superstardestroyer-1: Yea, selling to tickets to individual events within the overall event would be a totally bad practice. It's one thing to be a separate event that is simply aligned with the bigger event. But to your question, its pretty much out of the realm of possibility. If they started that, it would cast serious doubt on the event altogether and people would stop going.

And yea, I think overall we'll find that having to arrive 15+ hours early to queue won't really be the case because of the big arena size. In Anaheim that also had a big arena, people who had arrived as late as 7 am were able to get in. After that was a little tricky and I wouldn't know the specifics. And for Orlando, it wasn't the convention space as a whole that was the issue, just the specific panel room in which the two biggest panels of the weekend were held.

Be cautious for now though, we still don't know what the line up rules and policies are going to be in Chicago.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Our strategy at CE in London was to get up very early (3:45am Rogue One, 4am Rebels and Closing panel), go and join the line, from (hotel was just across the street), wait for the wristbands at 6am, go get hour-two of sleep and breakfast, and line up for the venue. It worked. After R1 queue, we were even able to get to the back of the queue for Mark Hamill panel wristbands.
    But from all I've read, it seems people at US Celebrations are more hardcore, and so I don't think joining the queue in the wee hours of the morning would still be fruitful.

Tbh, what I love about the panels the most are not the trailers or the guests per se, it's the atmosphere. The unadulterated hype, and being surrounded by people as enthusiastic about SW as myself. So for that I might join the SWS stage. Though idk, I'll loose the ability to think rationally once there, so I may just join anyway yolo. :p

24. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, here's how I went about it. I don't care about Episode IX really. I'm disinterested in the whole ST due to how they decided to go about it. So I just didn't go Saturday, which is fine for me as I'll have other things to do. And when I'm at the convention, there's more than enough PT and OT stuff to keep me occupied.

Basically I think if you don't care about IX, you are more likely to just not come to IX-related stuff. Hopefully people will just focus on what they DO like, rather than what they don't like. I'm sure the people who are there will eat it up - remember, these things aren't cheap so you really have to be invested. That's partly why I chose just to skip Saturday.

25. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    When I was writing that post, I literally thought “Well @MotivateR5D4 won’t agree but whatever he is the exception.” Sure enough