main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    But that scene in particular is important because it really sets a lot of the tone regarding Krennic, with the intense Vader-like theme playing and how he just plants his ship where he wants in order to retrieve Galen. And it would have only been a few more seconds to have kept in there. Instead it was Krennic's ship flying over young Jyn, and then the next time you see him he's already walking towards the homestead with the Death Troopers. I'm not complaining about a random quick irrelevant scene being cut. I don't mind that, I get that I'm watching a movie on television. But for that scene in particular to be taken at that time of the movie, literally not even two minutes in, like I said it just completely took me out of it and I wasn't interested in watching it anymore.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don’t like that they have to cut them at all, but it is more annoying when the scenes seem to be chosen at random.

3. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    It seems they cut the opening crawl out too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That was the director's choice. ;)

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    If I detected that even a fraction of a second of Rogue One had been cut, I would turn it off. :)

Avnar, MotivateR5D4 and EHT like this.
  6. Rodney-2187

Rodney-2187 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2015
    I could go for more movies just like Rogue One. How about one leading directly into Return of the Jedi or taking place directly after The Empire Strikes Back. The obvious great one would be a Vader movie happening immediately after Revenge of the Sith.

Avnar likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's literally Shadows of the Empire. It's a great story. I was 10 years old when it all came out in its various forms of media. I completely immersed myself in it at the time and it was a huge part of my youth. To this day it is my absolute favorite of all non movie SW stories. I read the book about once a year. You ought to check it out. And yea, I'd say it would be in the same vein as RO.

As it stands now, it's still a question of whether or not it is canon, at least among Shadows enthusiasts. As far as the EU universe goes, it isn't, and was included in everything else that got axed back in 2014. However, in one of the added scenes of the re-release of ANH, you can briefly see one of the main ships from Shadows, the Outrider, taking off from Mos Eisley. Whether or not it was actually the Outrider and was piloted by Dash Rendar, the main character, is still up for debate. And Lucas story group has yet to provide any confirmation of whether it is or isn't. I really hope it is, because it would be an amazing story to tell considering what's possible to do nowadays in film production. But that might open a can of worms they don't really want right now, and probably never will, of what else they can do that had originally been an EU story.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Guidman likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Lucasfilm is eventually going to adapt a Shadows of the Empire story, beginning on Hoth, either on film or TV. Fans would lose it, and general audiences would be intrigued by the ESB connection (as they were with RO’s ANH connection). There’s a lot of good stuff there.

PCCViking and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  9. Rodney-2187

Apr 6, 2015
    That isn't canon, it has been relegated to "legends" status. I have the book and the game was decent. They could of course incorporate some of those elements like Xizor and Black Sun, but I'd rather see something all new.

Sarge likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Alert: Rogue One is on Showcase channel in Canada all day today. (Corus media bought the rights to the cable versions of all the Star Wars movies, including the PT/OT/ST and R1 and Solo). The best is if/when they do the R1/ANH double feature, that should be an all day thing too hopefully.

[​IMG]

Although slight factual error in the cable box description that a Jedi is involved but Chirrut Imwe is a Guardian of the Whills. Also who the heck in Cable box description land gave this 3 stars anyway? And why do Cable box description even have star rankings, that should not be a function of a independent and neutral cable box guide!

Also of note the rest of the description on the cable box says "the first of several planed Star Wars spin-off movies" fun factiod. Although it looks like that is going to be "the first of two planned Star Wars spin off movies"

oooh showcase made a factoid video too

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Something unexpected that R1 did for me was to redeem the title "A New Hope." I never much cared for that one, but the emphasis on hope in R1, especially the line "Rebellions are built on hope" makes the subtitle of ep 4 more meaningful to me.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And that line with Leia at the end...
    "What have they given us?"
    "Hope."

=D=

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I just wish they would give us something providing more correlation of the worlds and characters we see in both films. They don't quite feel as interconnected as they could be. But for the knowledge we have of them, and the few links that are there, like Yavin 4 and the Death Star, they still feel like two different sets of worlds and characters.

14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Which one?

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    They feel like exactly the same world. The ST, on the other hand, feels like a different franchise to me.

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    They definitely take place within the same overall backdrop. Maybe more bridging of RO and ANH is a better term to use.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I get what you mean, but I feel it's pretty widely felt that the RO-ANH bridge is very strong.

Rodney-2187 likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It is, but a lot of that is based on the previous knowledge we have of it. Without any previous knowledge of the story or context, places like Ring of Kafrene and Wobani, or somebody like Saw or Chirrut Imwe, aren't things that I wouldn't inherently assume to be part of the galaxy we see depicted in ANH. I'm not saying it's entirely disconnected, there are things that obviously bridge the two. I just hope that more story comes out to fill in where there are gaps.

I still have yet to read Catalyst, Rebel Rising, the RO novelization. So maybe there's some stuff in there. The comics too. I have them all, just haven't gotten around to reading them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Imperial prison planets, research and military facilities; trading centers on asteroids; politically-oppressed planets; and people who worship the force, all seem to be quite plausible extensions of what we saw in ANH.

The ancillary materials definitely help draw additional connections (so definitely read those - especially Guardians of the Whills, Rebel Rising and Catalyst), but they are not essential to seeing the close connections between the RO and ANH worlds.

Sarge and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  20. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools I Am Chiznuk star 1

Mar 1, 2019
    i haven't watched this the whole way through. i got to where the blind guy was beating up stormtroopers and it became too much. i was laughing so hard i had to turn it off.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Mr. Marvel, if Chirrut was too much how did you survive Ben Affleck as Daredevil?
    Just curious.

22. MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools

MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools I Am Chiznuk star 1

Mar 1, 2019
    marvel made up for that bad film with a good tv show that explores the character. star wars doesn't admit mistakes. they just double down on terrible. look at solo.

23. Rodney-2187

Apr 6, 2015
    I seriously love Marvel, but Star Wars is a million times better.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So what then compelled you to sign up on a Star Wars forum and express that? To just say how bad it was?

Outsourced and Avnar like this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't believe you...at all.

Bor Mullet likes this.