main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toyfair 2019 13th -16th Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 30, 2019.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Sooo in 2 weeks Toyfair once again hits New York City!

What are you hoping to see unveiled for Star Wars?

2. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    It's too early for any Episode IX reveals, so I'm hoping for a few surprises from Hasbro, Hot Toys etc. As this year will see the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace, I would like to see something to mark this.

Other than that, I am waiting to be pleasantly surprised. I have very much enjoyed the recent Black Series foray into the Prequel Trilogy and I would like to see this continue.

wobbits and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm thinking we'll see more Resistance cartoon toys, they're safe for revealing. We might also get some new Clone Wars toys since the the last season is coming in the Summer.

I want to see if Hot Toys still is planning on releasing some figures like Endor Leia and Poe.

Also want to see if Hasbro's got either got Forces of Destiny revamped or a similar new play line for girls.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  4. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Resistance is a good call. I think we might see a few bits and pieces from that show (I haven't actually gotten around to watching it yet). I didn't consider Clone Wars, but I think it's another shoe-in. There are still a few popular characters that haven't received the Black Series treatment. I think a CW Anakin is likely (since a CW Obi Wan has already been revealed). I would also like to see a Darth Maul with mechanical legs and a Cad Bane.

As for Hot Toys, I'm hoping for something to tie into TPM's 20th anniversary. Maybe a Qui-Gon Jinn to accompany the Darth Maul slotted for release later this year.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Definitely want news on the 3.75” line, like a Resistance wave 2 and maybe having characters from the films/shows be released on the new card backs. Hopefully some TPM 20th anniversary stuff. I feel we have enough Black Series news to tide us over until summer, with Mace, Padme, Battle Droid, Dryden, Holdo, Mudtrooper Han, Grievous, Ezra, Chopper, Aphra, all coming between February-July.

6. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    So is the toy fair this weekend?

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah Oops looks like I got my dates wrong it starts today - 19th.

Hasbro announced a new Black Series "Hyper-real" line of figures. So far I've only seen Darth Vader. They'll be 8" and be around $80.

Gotta say if they look good, I'll bite. I'm all for a new size for a line that's between Hot Toys and 6" line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    definitely interested

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd probably go for a Fett if they do one. Reminds me a bit of the Unleashed line from the early 2000s. I have a few of those.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They look more like 12" figures - it looks like he's got quite a lot of fabric on his costume. W/ the removable hands, it seems to be a more economical answer to Hot Toys figures. I'll have to see one in person. But I'm sure Boba Fett will be high on the list to make.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Vader looks pretty good, but I went all in on the Black Series and I don't know that I want to start collecting another scale at retail. Especially at that price point. I might be tempted to just grab core characters--and I mean core characters. Han, Luke, Leia etc. I ain't dropping $80 bucks on a "Hyper Real" Dengar.

I'll be curious to see how this line is handled--Will there be Waves? How many per Wave etc.--and to see how it fares. Is there a market for the middle-tier collectible?

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I certainly would hope there's a market for it. Not everyone can afford to drop $220-350 per every new 12" Hot Toys that comes out. I've been hoping someone would come out w/ a 12" scale line for under $100. I'm intrigued because like @LAJ_FETT noted really the last scaled items in this size range were the Unleashed figures.

We'll have to see how they are for quality, the Disney Store Premium Elite figures were 10-12" and had interchangable hands, etc - and they were less than 1/2 the price of these and only lasted a couple of years. But you can pick up 3- 4 of these per the price of on Hot Toys figure, or get it instead of an S.H. Figuarts figure. Quality and availability will be key.

I do hear you w/ the second, third, fourth tier characters - unless they're ones that I want :p

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hasbro's going full force Kenner retro w/ a new Kenner Retro line. Those giant retro stickers, if they're on the packaging are UGLY.

Target Exclusive Luke Death Star Escape 6" Black Series Luke (Bets on Walmart getting Han?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Juke Skywalker and Master_Rebado like this.
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    HasbroPulse.com is now online. This is Hasbro's new updated store. They've got a year membership you can enroll to get all black series figures and no shipping costs.

Apparently they think they're Amazon Prime. I'd be more impressed if they didn't have their long history of production problems.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Gentle Giant announces 2 new statues and mini-bust: Note they're calling them resin and not polystone. I was wondering if this would change since Diamond Select doesn't do things in Polystone. If they're cheaper as a result I'm fine w/ the change so long as they don't "look" cheaper as a result. These look like CGI work-ups. I hope so, I'm not grooving on the weirdness of Rey's wind blown hair.

Rey Resin Statue

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BB-8 Resin Statue - cutie!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luke Crait Mini-Bust - Resin

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Press Release - Star Wars Lightsaber Academy

Hasbro has sent along a Press Release and images for their new Star Wars Lightsaber Academy Role-play toys.

• STAR WARS LIGHTSABER ACADEMY
    (HASBRO/Ages 6 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99/Available: Fall 2019)
    Train to become a lightsaber master with the STAR WARS LIGHTSABER ACADEMY Interactive Training System! Download the official Lightsaber Academy App, choose from one of five of the best Masters in the galaxy, and begin your journey to become a lightsaber expert! Learn official STAR WARS moves and train and battle with one of 5 legendary Jedi or Sith Masters! Loaded with Smart-Hilt™ technology, your lightsaber connects via Bluetooth and tracks your motion to evaluate and score your moves. The Smart-Hilt™ will track your progress and help you level up in the app. With two LIGHTSABER ACADEMY lightsabers (each sold separately), you can battle friends head to head and test your skills. Features lights, sounds, character voices, and app connectivity for motion-based gameplay! Available at most major retailers.

• STAR WARS EXTENDABLE LIGHTSABER LEVEL 1 Assortment
    (HASBRO/Age: 6 & up/Approx. Retail Price: $7.99/Available: Fall 2019)
    Launch into action and adventure in the world of STAR WARS! Discover the exciting stories of good versus evil in a galaxy of heroes, villains, and aliens. These EXTENDABLE LIGHTSABERS, available in red, blue, and green, extend for a duel with a flick of the wrist. Imagine the thrill of a heated battle with this and other role-play toys from STAR WARS. Scan included code to access content in the Lightsaber Academy app. Each sold separately. Requires 3 1.5V A batteries, batteries included. Available at most major retailers.

• STAR WARS ELECTRONIC LIGHTSABER LEVEL 2 Assortment
    (HASBRO/Age: 6 & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99/Available: Fall 2019)
    These signature ELECTRONIC LIGHTSABERS extend with a simple flick of the wrist as you battle like either LUKE SKYWALKER or DARTH VADER. Simulated light and sound effects spark the imagination and bring the STAR WARS galaxy to incredible life! Press button to hear character phrases. Scan included code to access training and character content in the Lightsaber Academy app. Imagine the amazing moments from the STAR WARS saga with this awesome electronic LIGHTSABERS and other exciting role-play toys from STAR WARS. Each sold separately. Requires 3 1.5V A batteries, batteries included. Available at most major retailers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I've been up all night working and scouring FB for new Toyfair stuff. I'm off to bed! Hope to see more exciting things later!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not that crazy about Rey's face.. Looks like she went a bit overboard on the mascara. The BB-8 is cute though.

19. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    The new HyperReal series was a surprise for me. Having been so invested in the Black Series, I didn't expect Hasbro to introduce another line and size. The Vader looks good, but I'm going to wait and see what the quality is like before I invest. I'm also wary of spreading myself too thin.

I noticed that Tamashii Nations revealed a couple of Movie Realisations figures. Kylo, Phasma and Threepio in feudal Japanese style. I've never invested in this line myself, but they do look cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    They are good looking but not enough for me to spend £££ on.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  21. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Lots of cool stuff. The Luke Crait bust looks great! Very interested in the hyper real line. I'd LOVE a Kylo in that scale.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    2019 NYTF Hasbro Press Release - Walmart Exclusive TVC 3.75-Inch Jabba's Palace Adventure Set Playset

Here is the Press Release and images Hasbro has sent us for The Vintage Collection 3.75-Inch Jabba's Palace Adventure Set Playset.

Its all plastic and not the play board (cardboard) like the Solo Playsets.

• STAR WARS: THE VINTAGE COLLECTION JABBA’S PALACE ADVENTURE SET PLAYSET
    (HASBRO/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99/Available: Spring 2019)
    Available exclusively at Walmart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

El_Machete12 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Walmart Exclusive Lando Calrissian Vintage collection figure.

Vintage Collection - Stormtrooper, Lando Calrissian (Solo), Luke Skywalker Crait

Pics of the Jabba's playset packaging.

Jabba's Skiff Guard 3 Pack - Entertainment Earth Exclusive

Gamorrean Guards coming in May

Tatooine Skiff available for pre-order at HasbroPulse for $39.99

OMG - Retro Grand Moff Tarkin figure w/ repro Escape the Death Star Game

Celebration Exclusives - 6" Obi-Wan and Darth Maul TPM Figures

Target TVC Han Solo Stormtrooper figure - available for pre-order

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    2019 NYTF Hasbro Press Release - Target Exclusive Star Wars Retro Collection 3.75-Inch Figures

Unfortunately Target.com put these up for preorder at about 4AM ET this morning, while most of us were asleep and sold out in a few hours.

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION DARTH VADER 3.75-INCH Figure
    (HASBRO/Approx. Retail Price: $9.99/Available: Spring 2019)
    Available exclusively at Target.

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION CHEWBACCA 3.75-INCH Figure

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION PRINCESS LEIA 3.75-INCH Figure

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION LUKE SKYWALKER 3.75-INCH Figure

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION STORMTROOPER 3.75-INCH Figure

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION HAN SOLO 3.75-INCH Figure

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    2019 NYTF Hasbro Press Release - Star Wars Escape From The Death Star Board Game With Exclusive Retro Collection 3.75-Inch Tarkin Figure

Here is the Press Release and images for the Star Wars Escape From The Death Star Board Game With Exclusive Retro Collection 3.75-Inch Tarkin Figure

• STAR WARS ESCAPE FROM DEATH STAR BOARD GAME
    (HASBRO/Ages: 8 years & up/Players: 2-4/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99/Available: May 2019)
    Available at most major retailers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]