main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO MOD Future of the Games Forum Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Games Forum has been slowing down over the years. Not unexpected given the focus of the franchise until recently, in combination with the dissolution of LucasArts and EA's enthusiasm over cancelling SW projects. We have some active threads, but the forum as a whole has been slower- you can go back and get every thread from the past year under the Video tag on the first two and a half pages, etc.

Additionally, driving traffic to the forum has always been difficult- accurate or not, the forum has long had something of a perception of being walled-off.

So, there has been some preliminary thought to shifting aspects of the forum around to drive more user traffic towards our threads- specifically moving the non-SW subjects into Community as a new sub-forum tag where the game threads can exist much like how Amphitheater functions for movies/tv/books discussion, and where these threads can pair with pre-existing gaming interest in the JCC sub-forum.

This is not something that necessarily will happen, but at this preliminary point in the discussion we wanted to get feedback from Games Forum users on the idea first before we go too deeply into exploring it (and, thus, this thread).

As mentioned above, the primary thrust of this proposal would involve moving all existing non-SW/LucasArts threads to Community, under their own tag (likely with "Video" becoming "Gaming" or some such- though naming conflicts with the existing thread-based Games sub section may require an alternative, but one bridge to cross at a time...).

This would help direct more exposure to them, and expand gaming-related subjects already being discussed in JCC (thus reducing redundancy in the process). The end goal being to inject more overall forum activity and provide a better home to discussion about the emerging prominence of the video game medium.

Star Wars & LucasArts threads would then be moved to a separate forum (as Community forums are for non-SW subject matter), since they alone are not enough to sustain a forum on their own at this point (especially with EA's output rate).

Where they would go is still something up in the air. Suggestions have ranged from the Lucasfilm forum (which could be renamed to Lucasfilm & Video Games, or something along those lines) to Star Wars Community to Expanded Universe Community (both of which have had game-adjacent discussions before).

But that detail (although important) is still TBD. At this juncture, we wanted to see if this relocation is a course folks would be like before we dive any deeper.

So, what do you think? Is moving the forum around to new destinations something you feel would help improve your experience/the forum here? Or would you prefer to keep the forum intact as it is? Or is there a third option inbetween you'd prefer, perhaps?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  2. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I suggested years ago that Games be merged into the JCC. But separating the Star Wars and non-Star Wars games threads into two separate parts of the forum is not an idea I'm a fan of. I understand the rationale behind it, but that means that I wouldn't get any incidental exposure to those threads unless I go look for them in the other forum, and with the minimal output of SW games we have currently, that would be something I would do so rarely that I would soon forget it as a habit. Therefore, my preference would be that all of the threads are joined to the JCC or another suitable forum, or none at all.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Games in the JCC makes sense.

Like @Life , splitting SW and none SW out doesn't feel right to me and similarly, I would forget about the other series of threads very quickly and in all honesty would be more likely to inadvertently post it in the JCC anyway.

SW games in the JCC does run counter to the WDNDSWINTJCC stance there but as part of games I suspect would be permissible, we already have a generalised games thread there too which gets a reasonable amount of traffic so this expanding would make sense to me and we have plenty of traffic in the JCC so the threads "could" become more active.

The additional plus point is that the few none JCC posters in games may become more active in the JCC which is better for the overall community there too (Games is a little JJC like in it's general style anyway)

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As a location in the menus, it's a fair point that the Games forum doesn't get much attention - you really have to go looking for it.

Like the others, I'd veer away from a SW / non-SW game split - if only because there's been incredibly few SW games in the last five years and that looks to continue.

A move could work.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m totally fine with it the way it is. We have our core gaming group/posters in a nice corner that isn’t exactly hard to find for anyone else when you are scrolling the main page lol.

Might get a bit frustrating trying to find game threads through all the NFL, Political, blah blah threads In Community on really active days.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's why we have the sub-forum tags to filter with. You'd be able to pull up all of the Gaming threads with a single click, same as you can for Amp, Arena, Senate, etc.

7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Can you do that on phone? I can see the title color tags before each thread but that’s about it after I get into a forum so I still gotta scroll on active days.

Ex: I click from JCC to Community and that’s as in-depth as I can take it for now.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On your phone you need to rotate to landscape in order for the tags to be visible. They disappear in portrait. Weird quirk of the forum.

heels1785 and JEDI-SOLO like this.
  9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Holy **** that was weird!

heels1785 and The2ndQuest like this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've thought about this exact same idea for quite a long time now. For whatever reason a lot of JCC people don't want to come here to discuss video games so I would much prefer to have one central forum. I guess part of it was because Games used to have its own "culture" with its own regular users, in-jokes, and stuff like that but the culture has frankly not existed here for well over a decade.

I agree with not moving over SW game threads. We already have the one thread in JCC for all things Star Wars and the general video games thread too. I feel like if we allow individual SW game threads it will set a precedent where people may start asking for individual SW TV show threads, book threads, comic threads, etc. The mods were flexible enough to give us our one thread and I don't think it needs to go beyond that.

Now if this were to go through, I would imagine some Community members wouldn't be exactly thrilled since it's already a pain to have to navigate through all the dozens of Marvel or "spam" threads that they don't care about so adding in video game threads would just cause more clutter in their minds. With that being said I would suggest moving over only the most active/recent threads (say the first two pages) with everything else getting archived, similar to Community Archives, and if someone wants an old thread un-archived, the mods can do so.

Finally, perhaps this should be moved to Comms? Like I said a lot of JCC regulars don't view this forum and have no idea this is being discussed. But they're much more likely to see a Comms discussion.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Most likely we would move over most of the major Game threads (and archive minor one-offs and not-likely-to-be-needed series threads)- much like when we merged SFAF and Amp into Community, we wouldn't want to lose the historical benefit of those "release window" discussions from active discussion. In other words, it'd be more than the first couple pages but it'll be select entries that could potentially get new entries/releases in the foreseeable future, not every discussion & offshoot thread, etc.

However, AFAIK moving those threads over would not dump them all at the top of the forum (and crowd out JCC topics) but rather simply include them by last chronological post. So only the most active threads would be seen at first while the others would simple be easily accessible when needed.

If the discussion proceeds, we will bring things up in Comms- however, since this is the forum being potentially broken up/merged, we wanted to discuss it here with this user base first before opening the discussion up wider.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  12. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Merging as a sub forum in JCC makes sense to me, especially with the JCC gamers thread being way more active than this little awesome corner.

Definitely agree that dividing SW games and non-SW games sounds weird, id move them all to JCC together. If you guys do split them though, i would stick the SW ones in Lit since TOR already has a sort of active thread there and most SW games are legends now, with only their stories being discussed ( sans BF2).

My 3.14 cents

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    For my own two cents, I'd prefer the games threads to stay in their own forum. You know as well as I do that there will be some threads in here that could very well be lost in the great beyond in the JCC forum because members there just love to create multiple threads dealing with the same topic (for example, there's two active 2019 Oscar threads right now).

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I only see one?

We do try to avoid redundant threads but sometimes ones will slip through (and there is some leeway with different forums addressing the same topic from a different perspective, though those are kept to a minimum). That's the same for any forum, though. If you notice one you can always bring it to the attention of a mod. We can redirect or merge redundant threads, depending on the situation.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Of course there's a new thread for every Marvel and or DC character getting their own feature film; even though there's a general DC Universe and Marvel films threads.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With very good reason (spoilers, flow of news and discussion, level of activity, etc)- we somewhat echo that here with the general console discussions vs individual series threads (which used to be individual title threads, actually, but we've condensed things as Games cooled off this past decade). But we're getting off topic there, I think.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  17. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm happy with how it's setup right now. I see no need to change anything.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe it's just me, but I've come across at least a handful of fairly obnoxious members in the JCC that I haven't had to deal with in any of the other forums (at least not in several years since Ahsoka wasn't such a big fixture). And yes, I know I could say something to the mod of the day within those forums; but odds are they're already friends with that member so they might just relay the message to them with a chuckle a the end.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    some mod favourite etc etc

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    He’s agreeing with your last statement.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Wasn't really agreeing or disagreeing to be honest. It just reminded me of the old "some mod favourite" post.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think if you're going to move the Games Forum to the JCC that it should be all or nothing and Star Wars related games shouldn't be put some place else.

As a suggestion, maybe you'd want to think about creating a tag in the JCC called "Entertainment" and get rid of Amphitheatre. This tag could be used for Games & Gaming (the topics of this forum), as well as the many Movie and TV related threads.

I'd also suggest renaming the JCC's yellow "Games" to "Interactive" or "Fun & Games" or "Fun" to avoid confusion if and when this Games Forum is moved to the JCC.

While you're at it, I wouldn't mind if "Arena" was renamed to "Sports".

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There would likely be at least some tag renaming if the merger proceeded. At a minimum, "Video" from here would likely get renamed, but we would make adjustments to other tags should there be any potential confusion.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    So what's the latest on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.