main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Open World Game Canceled

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Regular Mustache, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    What do you think constitutes a "Good Star Wars RPG"?

2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Hmm a really good story something like the trailers we saw for knights of the old republic a couple years ago, be able to freely go places, really good game play being able to explore the world choose where who your character becomes maybe play as a main Star Wars character that would be cool.

3. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    How can a game both allow you to choose who your character becomes and allow you to play as a main Star Wars character? And I'd argue that the story we see in a trailer is a completely different beast than an actual game story intended to last 20+ hours.

4. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I’m saying either of those two options would be super cool for me!

5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm just trying to process the things you're asking for from the perspective of someone that's working on getting into the industry. Those items don't really have much depth to them. For example:

• a really good story something like the trailers we saw for knights of the old republic a couple years ago
    • be able to freely go places
    • really good game play
    • being able to explore the world
    • choose where who your character becomes
    • maybe play as a main Star Wars character
    Those don't really mean anything to me. They sound good, but they're incredibly broad and tell me nothing about the game you're looking for. Really good gameplay is a meaningless statement, as it doesn't define what core gameplay loop you're looking for or the perspective in which the game is played. They could release a card game with "really good gameplay", and I assume it wouldn't be what you have in mine. Also, some of the items contradict. Being able to completely choose who your character becomes falls more in line with a game like Freelancer where there isn't really a set story to follow. A game like KotOR, while being classed as an RPG, is fairly limited in the terms of what your character is and who he/she can become. And since you listed the KotOR trailers as what you want in terms of story, i'm going to go out on a limb and say you mean more actual KotOR than a Freelancer-like.

6. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah I prefer linear story to open world I’ll sacrifice the open world for a linear story but I think if a game could successfully make both that would be awesome!

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, one could argue that trying to do both has caused a deluge of games over the past 10 years that fail to be a satisfying open world while failing equally at being a linear story. Games like Mass Effect: Andromeda that try to push an "Open World" that ends up being a disappointing amount of uninspired side quests scattered across three planets with excessive loading screens in between them.

8. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    By open world I mean make the world feel lived in, let there be a lot to explore but also stay within the story I believe breath of the wild could have done a better job at this like that game would be perfect if the story was built in for example I prefer ocarina of time and windwaker (that world felt lived in and big to me but still had a good story) , to breath of the wild

9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    OK, that clarifies some things. But for reference, that's not what "Open World" means in video games.

10. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I know, it means open total freedom and a lot of open world games IMO feel like just A lot of empty space and they’re pointless IMO not fun without a great story behind it.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It actually doesn't. Open World is simply an identifier for any game that doesn't have traditional levels in favor of a single large level, or a set of large levels, that don't have linear paths through them.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is the definition of a bad open world game. Many games have done exactly this thinking that just sticking in a large open space is enough - it isn't.

In contrast Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the best designed open worlds because every part of them is of interest and worth exploring. HZD in particular is one of the compact and dense game worlds you'll ever play.

Blackhole E Snoke and Outsourced like this.