main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favourite Star Wars theme Kai

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Feb 16, 2019.

?

What is your favourite SW theme? (pick 3)

1. Star Wars Main Title (AKA Luke's theme)

17.9%
  2. The Force Theme/Binary Sunset

46.2%
  3. Princess Leia's Theme

12.8%
  4. Imperial March (AKA Darth Vader's theme)

20.5%
  5. Yoda's Theme

20.5%
  6. Duel of the Fates

28.2%
  7. Across the Stars

28.2%
  8. Battle of the Heroes

12.8%
  9. Rey's Theme

17.9%
  10. Other (please mention in your post!)

25.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hi, all!

So, this is like the third or fourth time this thread's been made, but we've had more content released in the interim, and I've had an idea for a new format in which to do this thing, so let's try this out!

To clarify first and foremost - the primary purpose of this thread is to discuss your favourite individual SW music piece, as opposed to entire OSTs

So, the way this is gonna work now. Unfortunately, the way the boards are set up, we're only allowed 10 choices on the poll. That's not nearly enough for the rich menagerie of music the SW franchise has given us, so the first 9 options on this poll (taken from the previous one) are just some of the most notable, while the 10th choice is "other"

You can pick up to 3 choices in the poll. You don't have to, but feel free to list those 3 that you picked, and if you wish, ranked in whatever order you like most

As for other - damn, there are just so many key SW themes that can't fit in here. Palpatine's theme, droid army theme, Ewoks theme, March of the Resistance, and I'm barely scratching the surface of what Williams alone has given us. So if you select "other", please do let us know what that tune in your head is!

Oh, and one other thing! I'll be regularly updating this post keeping track of how many times a particular theme is mentioned. Given so many great pieces could fall under "other", might be quite interesting to see if a theme or two could spring up, since we're going on a basis of threes here

With the boring **** outta the way.... enjoy!

BookExogorth and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    What does Kai mean?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Kai's Theme

Jesta' likes this.
  4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    As mentioned in the last thread, Han and Leia's theme is still my favorite.

Duel of the Fates and Luke's Theme are probably 2nd and 3rd with Luke and Leia's theme not far behind.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And Ian did you vote for all three? :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Indeed I did! I love just about every Star Wars theme, so some shuffle around in the ranking, but Han and Leia's theme is just simply my all time favorite.

Strilo likes this.
  7. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    The Rebellion is Reborn's theme

lindaGarman likes this.
  8. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    The Force Theme
    Luke and Leia's Theme
    Rey's Theme

9. lindaGarman

lindaGarman Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2019
    Hello. My favorite theme from Star Wars is Imperial March. I know that this is the most popular music theme from the movie but I really like it. Also, I like Luke and Leia's Theme, Battle of the Heroes.
    [​IMG]

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with the Force theme, cos IMO that's (apart from the main opening theme) the most recognizably Star Wars theme. You hear that come in, and you KNOW what's coming. It's emotional, unique, and.....pretty much the perfect melody. It's the only bit of film score that to this day still gives me goosebumps, even after hearing it thousands of times!

Honestly, it was hard to pick cos those are ALL fantastic, but if I have to choose just ONE...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Chancellor Yoda, Drac39 and Sarge like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of the themes I wish we heard more is the one that played in RotJ when the rebel fleet was first approaching the Death Star. "Lock S-foils in attack position." "All craft, pull up!" "Enemy ships in sector 47." "It's a trap!"

Chancellor Yoda and darkspine10 like this.
  12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Such a great theme.

13. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Impossible to pick one.
    "The Asteroid Field" is high on the list.

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I know it's the most predictable answer but I went with the Binary Sunset/Force theme as well. It was the most powerful piece of music in the original and every time it has been reused it feels like a musical piece of lore. I agree with @DARTH_BELO I still get goosebumps when I hear it and that isn't an easy feat given the cynicism surrounding 'Star Wars'.

Chancellor Yoda, DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  15. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The title of this poll is missing a word, I think as it seems to be a "What's your favourite Williams SW theme?" poll. (And no, in 2020, that does not go without saying. There are lots of composers doing SW music nowadays, and some of them IMO have been doing a better job than Williams has in recent years.) So I will answer under that assumption.

Among the listed choices, I'd go with Battle of the Heroes. It captures the Armageddon feel of the latter half of ROTS perfectly... and has kept that association by virtue of being one of the few major SW themes that hasn't been regurgitated to the point of nausea in other media.

For long term nostalgia, I'll cite the Han and Leia theme in the "Other" category. I'm not sure if it makes the cut today but in its time, it was the most emotional and sweeping melody in ESB.

I'll also give a nod to the Throne Room theme (ANH). It's one of the piece of the ANH OST that I can play over and over again.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Throne Room is not a theme. It's cue composed primarily of an arrangement of the Force theme.

17. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    That's called "Into the Trap."

18. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    My favorite theme is Enter Lord Vader
    That's a good one.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    "Enter Lord Vader" is a track title, not a theme. It's mostly non recurring motif material, aka just score without any of the themes or major motifs. Just going off the over 9 minute film version, which I may have obtained somewhere deep in the past, there are the following: A brief statement of the Imperial March when Anakin starts slaughtering the Separatist leaders, a very short snippet of the Force theme before a momentary use of the Emperor's theme, a few uses of the Palpatine's Seductions motif. That said, the full 9 minute track as it appears in the film contains some of my favorite ROTS score moments, especially the ending leading up to Anakin on Mustafar crying over what he's done. The brass is absolutely staggering. Goosebumps every time.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well actually that segment is made up of 3 separate cues. Enter Lord Vader (or Moving Things Along on the cue list) is the first, running to four minutes. It has that statement of the Imperial March. The OST version trims a few seconds, and removes a percussion layer of war drums. This version reinstates the full version:

The second cue is Anakin's Dark Deeds, presented in full on the album, though wedded to a cutdown version of the following cue:

Lastly, the one featuring everything from Obi-Wan and Yoda in the security room to that moment of Anakin crying is It Can't Be. There's a cutdown version appended to Dark Deeds on the album, but here's the full cue:

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    .... yes I know. That's what I used to describe the various themes actually used. But Enter Lord Vader is still not a theme.

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The Luke and Leia theme is fantastic.

christophero30 likes this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I almost lost it when they played the Luke and Leia theme at the end of ROS

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    From a score perspective, one of the most excellent things about the ST has been opening up a bunch more uses of the Luke & Leia theme. Was so sad that such a great theme was only in one film.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  25. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I've got to say, The Rise of Skywalker is quickly becoming one of my favorite Star Wars themes. It's the perfect reflective, emotional note to end the saga on. It almost plays like Williams's love letter to the series.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.