main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Celebration art show

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Feb 23, 2019.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I see a few there I'd be checking out if I was going.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Some new pieces posted. Loving "No One is Ever Really Gone"!

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm definitely getting the Rogue One print!

Gamma626 and ChrisLyne like this.
  5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I wish "Heart of the Rebellion" had Enfys on it.

*proceeds to weep uncontrollably over "No One is Ever Really Gone"*

Gamma626 likes this.
  6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Oh man... I’m tempted by almost every single print that was just added. Might go for phantom menace specifically for the 20th anniversary.

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Ok, from what I can see almost everything has been revealed. Either on the main Dark Ink page @Obi Anne linked to above, or at the other artists page (those that will have their own booths and are either taking pre-orders directly via their websites or are just being sold at the show)

https://www.darkinkart.com/pages/star-wars-celebration-chicago-additional-artists

The only ones I can see that haven't been revealed are;

Steve Anderson - will be via Dark Ink but no previews until the pre-orders start on Wednesday
    Jason Palmer - reveal and pre-orders via his website?
    Spencer Brinkerhoff - reveal and pre-orders via his website?
    Jerry Vanderstelt - will be taking pre-orders via his website, he's teased an ROTJ Luke piece on Facebook;

[​IMG]

That just leaves Russel Walks and Dianne Harrop as artists announced as part of the Art Show back in January but not yet revealed or mentioned on the Dark Ink site.

Right now I'm thinking the Vanderstelt Luke and "No One is Ever Really Gone" but there's some potentially fantastic pieces amongst the names not revealed yet so I could very easily change my mind!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Both of Vanderstelt's prints would be locks for me if they weren't so pricey. I'm going to go with the Luke one for now, that looks like quintessential Luke in his prime as a Jedi. And then I'll just hope the other one is still available when I get paid next. The Maul one just looks weird and creepy and badass, so I'm going to get that one too. Brian Rood is my favorite though, so I'm also waiting to see what more he reveals.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  9. Commander_Simpson

Commander_Simpson Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2019
    It's been years since I've bought any art work at a con. So far some of these pieces are looking tempting.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    There are some gorgeous art pieces, like always.
    I think my favorites are: Jason Christman's "Cantina", Kaela Croft's "Guidance from Wolves" (I'm not an Ahsoka fan, but the piece is gorgeous), Malcolm Tween's "Mandalorian", Adrianna Vanderstelt's "Train him I will" and Kayla Woodside's "I know". Thankfully I have a very strict focus on Padmé and Leia and the colours need to match my living room so that makes it easier for me to choose. I'm still waiting for Jason Palmer, but otherwise I'm going to go for "I know" as my print this year.

11. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I really like the look of the ROTJ Luke there.

I just don't have the wall space for prints unfortunately.

Hopefully the purchasing process goes smoothly for this.

12. darthjason127

darthjason127 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    Dark Ink is typically pretty good with their website. When they have limited prints and timed prints go on sale they typically are able to handle the traffic.
    Jason Palmer from reading past forums is usually the last one to reveal his art print. He is usually worth the wait though (in my opinion) is Adrianna's print fully revealed yet? Or just the teaser?

Padme501st likes this.
  13. darthjason127

Dec 11, 2017
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I think Adrianna's is the full reveal. It has the white boarders and Celebration logo.

I think a few (Jason Palmer, Steve Anderson, Jerry Vanderstelt, maybe a couple more) are only going to be revealed tomorrow when the pre-orders start.

As for Jerry having 2 prints - he said on Facebook the Dark Ink print (The Hopeful) is an ACME release, it doesn't have the Celebration logo on it. The ROTJ Luke piece is his actual Celebration piece. Not sure if that means The Hopeful is an exclusive or not. Maybe a Celebration first release?

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. darthjason127

Dec 11, 2017
    Looks like "The Hopeful" is only available for pick up at the ACME booth at Celebration.
    Do you have a link for Adrianna's print? I can only find her teaser

Thank you!

16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Not high quality, but here you go;

[​IMG]

I have all of them save here with links to the pre-orders
    https://celebratingstarwars.blogspot.com/p/celebration-art-show.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    JonSB and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  17. darthjason127

Dec 11, 2017
    This is great thank you very much! Very helpful

ChrisLyne likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Do you know if you are supposed to order the Luke print through his website or the Dark Ink site? The impression I get from clicking to it makes it appear that you order it from his website, but I could be wrong. And then it looks as though you buy The Hopeful from the Dark Ink site. Is that correct?

Nice man! You're blog is really coming along. Eventually you'll be one of those guys that gets interviewed about attending Celebration offering all your tips like in that article @LAJ_FETT linked.

Where else do you have it linked other than here? Might be a little late now, but in the future you ought to hit up different blog or review sites and swap links to make it more visible. Or something. Not everybody comes to our lowly forum.

I have way more prints than I have wall space for, but that doesn't stop me from buying more. I usually end up with more art than anything else when I go to cons. One of my con friends regularly changes out the art on his walls, so his house always looks different. Probably something I'll end up doing, like I have horror prints that I'd put up during Halloween time, animation prints from holiday episodes that I'd put up during holiday time, SW and comic prints that will go up during the year, etc. But I don't own a home yet, so that will have to wait. For now they sit quietly in storage but for the few I have up, still glad I have them all though, and I'll continue to buy more.

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  19. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    Never bought prints before with preorder, do they tend to sell out fast?
    Thinking of one or more of these:

ACME - "The Hopeful" by Jerry Vanderstelt - $125.00
    Jason Christman - "Cantina" - $60.00

Less likely
    Karen Hallion - "No One is Ever Really Gone" - $60.00

20. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    That's correct. The ROTJ Luke print via his website, The Hopeful via Dark Ink. Can't wait to see the full Luke image!

Thanks mate! TBH I probably should have been pushing it harder. I have it in my sig in a few places, been posting on Twitter (about 120 followers, growing a bit more now we're getting closer) but definitely should have been promoting it more.

At the end of the day, if it helps one person that's great. I've enjoyed it and it gives me all the information in one place as well!

Tell me about it! I have prints and even original art that I need to get framed and find wall space for! Part of me looks at the prints and goes "but do I really need them? I've not hung last Celebration's print yet". That part will never win, but it does make a valid point from time to time :)

Hard to say. I don't think any will sell out on day one and some artists will even have left overs they sell online. That said no one expected tickets to sell out as fast as they did either, so it could go either way. If you can afford it, the safest thing is always to pre-order as soon as you can. BUT keep in mind that most of the direct artists are saying (up to) 200 for pre-order and then 50 (plus any left over from the pre-order) available to buy on the day. So even if they sell out in pre-order you may still have a chance at the show.

Have you all seen Spencer Brinkerhoff's shadow box? Looks really coo!

[​IMG]

And it now looks like Steve Anderson will be pre-order via his website rather than Dark Ink, he's not mentioned on the main page any more and is now listed on the additional artists page.

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Must go for "Train him I will".

Slightly off topic, but art enthusiasts around here might know. Is it difficult to get official art from previous Celebrations? I.e. do people ever re-sell these? For awhile I've had my eyes on "Legend of Thrawn" from Anaheim, when I had the tickets but unfortunately couldn't go.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I've seen a few artists offer their prints from previous Celebrations, both at Celebration and at other conventions even. Palmer is one standout, I always see his Celebration prints any time he has a booth somewhere. Brian Rood is another. I know I've seen others. But there's really no telling in regards to availability, it appears to be just whatever they have left over that didn't sell before. I've never inquired about Celebration art outside of that though. I guess you can always email the artist or the company ahead of time and find out if the specific print you want is still available.

Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It really depends on the artist and the print. Some will be sold out within minutes and for some you can just walk up at the convention and buy it. The "No one is ever really gone" is getting a bit of buzz, and since it's fairly cheap I would try to pre-order it as soon as the pre-order opens. Vanderstelt is also popular and has a regular fanbase so I think that would need to be pre-ordered as well.

JonSB and ChrisLyne like this.
  24. JonSB

JonSB Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2018
    Do the artists usually sign their prints for free? I just assumed they did but saw that Vanderstelt has a Canvas option for his print that includes his signature while the Giclee doesn't indicate this. Do you guys usually have them sign it?

25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yes they do. Vanderstelt's The Hopeful is an ACME release and will be at ACME's booth in the Art Show, not Vanderstelt's. I'm guessing the prints aren't signed and the canvas editions are pre-signed.

Vanderstelt will have his own booth and his own exclusive print (The Call of Destiny). This will be signed and numbered.

I don't see why you couldn't buy The Hopeful, pick it up from the ACME booth and then take it to Vanderstelt's booth for him to sign.

JonSB likes this.