main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Yuuzhan'tar: The Yuuzhan Vong Homeworld

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Otto_den_Ktulu, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    And I'll copy and paste what I think of that.

I have to say I really really really don't like that at all. That is totally emblematic of the small universe syndrome. The Star Wars universe should be vaster than the GFFA, it's satellites, and whatever extradimensional realms exist.

The genetic similarity to the humans thing I think can easily be dismissed as convergent evolution or just an anomaly-a complete coincidence which does not require further investigation. Interesting but unimportant.

It's also important to note that traversing the intergalactic void without FTL took the Vong thousands of years. Even if they were coming from the furthest dwarf Galaxy-companion grek it would not have taken them that long to reach the GFFA.

This also entirely goes against Quoreal getting cold feet and the discomfort caused by the discovery of Zonama-as well as Onimi deciding it was now or never.

We have a pretty good idea of the timeline regarding the Vong except for how long their journey took and how far away their Galaxy was exactly.

But all evidence points to them coming from another galaxy-not just a dwarf Galaxy but one farther afield. The time involved, the conquest of their own Galaxy, etc...

I have to say this is an extremely unnecessary change and one I think ruins the new Jedi order if accepted as canon(whatever that means at this point).

The Vong are travelers on their own spiritual journey-from both a worldbuilding and thematic perspective, not to mention the timeline and plot issues I simply think is retcon is both preposterous, unnecessary, and really really stupid and that's not a word I throw around lightly.

I understand the impulse to "incorporate" the Vong into the greater pseudo lovecraftian mythology this work is trying to make-but I think it extremely inappropriate and out of place.

I could rant on this for hours-but this change makes me furious.

Not a fan of this.

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    15 years since The Unifying Force was released

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Wow incredible its been that long.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    @Iron_lord Wow! Is it canon, or an EU piece I'm just not familiar with?

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    No it isn't canon, it was released only recently online, not under official Lucasfilm licensure.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not canon to the Disneyverse or the Legendsverse - however, I think it was the changeover to Disney that resulted in the early version of the article being cancelled. It should be noted that despite not being canon itself, the article-in-progress has influenced Legends material - it's thanks to it, that "The Left Handed God" mentioned in the early Devilworlds comics, ended up getting a name - Typhojem - in Book of Sith - and being associated with the Sith.

Mitth_Fisto and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Not sure if the fact that sonething influencing Legends canon makes it an official part of Legends. For example Chewies family hails fron the Holiday special which in and of itself is nonecanon, I think.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So I was thinking about the Vong cosmogony and I just can't get over how beautiful it is.

In the beginning before time itself, there was Yun-yuuzhan-and because of his desire to create and to rule, he strode down the path of the gods(I imagine this as a rainbow)-cutting off parts of himself to make every star and world, the other gods and finally the yuuzhan Vong. Thus making the Yuuzhan Vong the last and final act of Yun-Yuuzhan's creation-his sacrificial maiming-every cut brought forth something new and beautiful.

Does anyone agree with me that the Vong creation story is very moving?

KenKenobi and Sudooku like this.
  10. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    @Darth Invictus,

Yeah, that Vong creation story is really moving.

I'm reading currently Vector Prime. Does anybody know, if a Plaeryn Bol can see too like a normal eye or can it spit out venom only?

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I just think it fits the Yuuzhan Vong worldview wonderfully and how sacrifice and mutilation are seen as good and bringing one closer to the gods.

I would love to see someone create an animation or something showing the Vong creation mythology. I just think it shows the idea of sacrifice and really even love as the Vong understand these concepts. For these things to have merit and concreteness-one must give a way a part of oneself.

12. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    *ooglith masquer peels back*

Good to see this forum still active. Keep up the good work, sacrifice some infidels to Yun Yammka for me.

Sinrebirth and Amon_Amarth like this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Let us praise, the creator, the father of our people, the one who cut away himself to make us, Yun-Yuuzhan!

Sinrebirth and jhc36 like this.
  14. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    jhc...now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time...

15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Just two questions:
    1. Does anybody know, if a Plaeryn Bol can see too like a normal eye or can it spit out venom only?

2. In Vector Prime Mara Jade during her encounter with Yomin Carr on Belkadan feeels that he surely knows her from somewhere else already. Is it said later on which occasion they met before? Was Yomin Carr (wearing an Ooglith masquer) perhaps accompanying Nom Anor that day he poisened Mara with the Coomb spores?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  16. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I like the tying together of Yun-Txii and Yun-Q'aa as a couple. Actually in every love is some hatred and vice versa. So that the goddess of love and the god of hate do love (and hate) each other is a very deep symbolism I didn't found in any other god's mythology.

17. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    KK, good to see some familiar faces still around. [face_devil]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    KenKenobi likes this.
  18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Hmm I'd have to look into it.

Possibly, probably likely.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. Calathar44

Calathar44 Jedi Padawan

Nov 13, 2018
    1. I'm not certain, but I'd think it looks like a normal eye, since I can't remember if anyone noticed Nom Anor having only one eye when he was undercover.

2. He could just know her as a famous person, since she would be a person of interest to anyone interested in Galactic Politics or as an important potential fighter against the invasion. I don't think the actual incident of Mara's poisoning is described anywhere.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The actual poisoning happened briefly before Vector Prime begins. Mara had attended a diplomatic conference or something and Anor had released a poison which killed a lot of the diplomats soon after. While Mara used the force to hold off its effects.

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  22. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi,

Thanks four your replies. Just another question about Nom Anor. Is it known if the name Anor is emphasized on the first syllable or on the last? For we don't have mentioned Nom Anor as a legend in any recent Star Wars film, I'm uncertain about it.

I need to know that for rhyming a songfic about him.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I have always pronounced as Nahm(like the first syllable in Dominic) ah-nor.

I have the soft a sound and emphasize the second syllable for his last name.

Sudooku likes this.
  24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Were there ever plans to do a short story / comic/other media on how the Vong poisoned Mara Jade, and how Nom Anor started to infiltrate the New Republic? When for the first time and during re-reads, I've always got the feeling that something was missing there. Maybe it got shelved during planning, they had scheduling issues with releases, until the continuity team was formed by Luceno et al.

25. Calathar44

Calathar44 Jedi Padawan

Nov 13, 2018
    I don’t know if there were plans, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were. I feel like stories like that would have been fleshed out if Legends continued.

Nom Anor is shown in the Crimson Empire comics as destabilizing the remnant of the Empire by manipulating the ruling council, and also stirring up unrest on Adumar. I’m not sure if he was ever shown specifically infiltrating the New Republic government though.