main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~Favorites of FanFic Festival Social and Questions Thread~*~ Survey! We want YOUR opinions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 22, 2019.

1. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Briannakin: Makes sense to me, much easier to scroll through the other thread if all that stuff is over here. :) Thanks for answering!

(So yeah, PM sent! ;) )

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Say if you send us like 2 favourites and posted "PM sent". And you were the only person to send us favourites via PM that week (and it doesn't exactly seem to be a popular option, at least this week). We would post "the favourites sent into us this week were favourite AU: "ABC" favourite crossover: "XYZ". It's kinda a fair bet that those favourites came from the same PM (though if you gave 8 stories for this week, they could conceivably come from different PMs). If you made it obvious you sent a PM, then people can probably deduce it was from you. I mean it isn't a huge deal if you don't care, but the main reasons why we are giving the PM option is the anonymity.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, I am on a MASH binge. No, I will not apologize.

[​IMG]

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So, I just noticed something kind of funny about my and @Raissa Baiard 's posts for the first style categories group (hers is here, mine is here). We both have TheRynJedi's Destiny on our lists, but in different places: I chose it for "Favorite One-Shot" (based on the fact that it was posted as a single unit) and she chose it as "Favorite Short Story" (based on its length, which is more than the 5000-word guideline given for "Favorite One-Shot"). Is it OK for the same story to be in two different length categories like this, or would it be best for one of us to choose something else for one? Just thought I'd check—thanks! :)

AzureAngel2, Vek Talis and pronker like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It might sound laissez faire but we really aren't splitting hairs when it comes to categorizations. If it fits in both then so be it. We've gotten crazy in past few years regarding exact word counts and what fits best where and all that work for fanfic is just not worth our sanity. If something is clearly wrong, we will address it. In this case it just fits both.

Basically,
    [​IMG]

We ask that you don't edit your selections. We are kinda collecting them as they come in, so if you edit, our final list may not reflect your edits.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    AzureAngel2, pronker, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  6. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    For the WIP category, does it have to have been updated on/after the 17th, or does it still count if the story is understood to be in progress (as far as you know)? Thanks!

Congratulations to everyone who's been nominated so far, by the way! =D= As always, I'm discovering more things to put in my to-read pile. :p

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry, Perhaps the post was badly worded. (We shortened the official definition but this is from our discussion) the story has to be started in 2018 but reasonably believed to be still a work in progress (so, it doesn't have to have a update from 2019 but it likely should). However, if for some reason it was completed between Feb 17 and now, then it's still eligible.

8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Briannakin, thanks! :) No worries, it was guessable but I just wanted to double check my guess.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just stopping in to say that I'm looking forward to seeing what will be sent in this week, and to the new categories that will go up this coming weekend! This has been really fun so far, and (for now, at least) I've turned out to be more comfortable with posting my picks publicly than I thought I would be. :)

10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm enjoying the festival *points to signature* although I'm lame about posting. Somewhat like this guy ...

11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Post, post, by all means post! The more, the merrier! :D

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Please try to participate if you are enjoying! I'm trying not to fall into the whole "mods hate awards/award-like festivities" but low participation rates are discouraging and we take that as a sign that people aren't enjoying, making us unlikely to try this again.

13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I am an admitted lurker here.

AzureAngel2 and pronker like this.
  14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Didn’t you do at least one favorites post already? Hope we’ll see more from you! :)

AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 2 others like this.
  15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I have trouble getting to it during the work week, but I’m trying to get my suggestions in during the weekend! I’m finding a lot of duplicates, which is fine, I guess, but it also tells me maybe I wasn’t a good reader this year... [face_dunno] I’d love to see what other people liked so I can go back and read those stories, too.

AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 2 others like this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Even if you only have one story to nominate, that is still something that will make an author's day! Writers pour so much blood, sweat, and tears into their work, but are oftentimes met with relatively little feedback to match the efforts they've extended. So, even if it's just a little bit of love, make sure to share! The format of our community allows us a unique opportunity to commend our peers here, so let's make the most of it! [face_love] [face_dancing]

Although, erm, that said, combing through for my favourites is reminding me just how much I too have lurked this year without leaving immediate feedback! I need to give reviews on the stories I've enjoyed more; that's definitely something I want to do better with in the future. But, recognizing good stories here is as good a place as any to start with! [face_blush] :) [face_love]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 3 others like this.
  17. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I'm really enjoying this festival so far, for what that's worth (and yes, I've sent in some faves by the PM method :p ). It's brought to light a whole bunch of things that I missed this year and now I have a nice shiny To-Read Pile. :) Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far!

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah, but I do tend to lurk more than I post. Especially when said post involves a lot of links. Like, "Eh, I'll do it later." And then I never get around to it.

19. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Which one?:ezra::ezra::ezra::ezra::ezra:

;):D

Kahara, AzureAngel2, Exeter and 5 others like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This is the kind of commentary I was hoping for when we created this thread :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Kahara, AzureAngel2, pronker and 4 others like this.
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, see, that’s why I liked the interpretation—because it really and truly can be any or all of them! Because they’re all the same character—but they’re also not! :D :ezra:

22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    The cute one :ezra:

Kahara, AzureAngel2, Exeter and 5 others like this.
  23. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    So all of them, then? :ezra:[face_love]:D

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For a fact, all of them. :D

25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Wow, I got a 'favorite'... and the only duplicates I have are Rodian-eyed cyborgs...

Thanks, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha! [face_coffee]