main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Badge Registration/Panel Lottery Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by star_wars_is_good, Mar 20, 2019.

1. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    This will probably be reeds last Cele. the fall out from the lottery mess will scare them or ask, "Where did we go wrong". I would like o make the beginning and ending panels of Cele. but the whole thing sounds rigged. When Harrison Ford was on the floor panel last time, I was in line for the Cele. store and heard the cheers and applause, then found out Harrison had been there!. Does anyone think extra screens may be put up on the floor for everyone else to see? This whole lottery thing isn't fair and Reed needs to know it. I think I'll call them tomarrow.

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    It does but Will Call guests won't get their badges and activation codes until they arrive on site. As per @Padme501st's post above the information at the moment is that guests without their badges will use their order confirmation in place of the activation number to register. So if they use the NYCC system of registered badge plus 3 friends, then a party of 4 could, in theory, enter the lottery 4 times, whilst the Will Call order has, again in theory, a single entry against the 1 confirmation number you would have for all 4 badges. Easiest way around this is if they make it so group entries have to have all 4 badge numbers so each badge can only enter 1 time, whether that's individually or as part of a group.

They could also give the Will Call confirmations multiple entries based on the number of badges, which might make more sense as all the people on the order may not want to see the same panel but would also be a more complicated system to set up and to match up to badges on site.

credar likes this.
  3. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    Also on my own. Would be willing to team up if it makes sense.

4. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Unfortunately any possible fallout for the lottery will be as numerous as prior so that won’t affect them. It would be more if their contract is done and not renewed

5. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    A sad situation, again. is it true Reeds contract for putting Cele's is up next year? Has anyone recieved one of those "How did we do" forms after other Cele's? Who renews the contract with them? Reed runs the Emerald City Comicon here in WA. State, after they took over, the comicon blew out of proportion in attendance. so much so, there was a fire hazard cited. I haven't been to one in a couple years but the convention center in Seattle is dinky. Why did Reed use the lottery system again? it's not a fair practice].

6. Lazarustoys

Lazarustoys Jedi Knight

Mar 8, 2019
    As someone who went to the "main event" in Orlando with Lucas and also went to the FA panel in Anaheim, I've dealt with my share of gnarly lines. But I think Reed's system of doing a lottery is a bit ridiculous. If we are at the point where we pay a lot to get into these cons, but they're over selling for the space provided or don't have the professionalism to run the event well, then it's really not worth it. The greed and lack of caring is appalling. After anaheim I felt that celebration needed to be moved to a bigger venue like the convention center in San Diego where they do SDCC. I mean, SDCC is a non profit run by many volunteers and they sound way more organized than Reed and it's a way bigger con. So it can be done. I'll probably be passing on the crazy panels this celebration, might not be worth the stress. And honestly, if Reed runs the next celebration I don't think I'll attend. I'm also not into Topps handling the autos/photos. Miss the good old days...

Padme501st and LloydChristmas like this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    A little late on the news today, is the mention of a lottery in that tweet all we know about it? Where are you getting the info that people will know ahead of time?

8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Check the first post

Padme501st likes this.
  9. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    There's a lot of speculation. That tweet shows the message you get when you register your badge. I've been waiting on a strongly worded response from you. :)

Padme501st and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I just think it's going to create a ton of confusion on the outside. This is hard enough to understand for people who are familiar with cons, I can't imagine what it's going to be like for people who aren't.

When does the official info come out for how all this is going to work?

Padme501st likes this.
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Who knows? It definitely wasn't a good idea to put out such vague info today.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Padme501st likes this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It seems like this new revelation has kind of deflated people's enthusiasm quite a bit. It would help if the rest of the schedule was released so that people can plan other things to do in lieu of the main panels at Wintrust. It's also going to make Thursday a busy day since a lot of people will be intent on finding information, or intent on finding ways around the rules if they didn't get picked for the lottery.

Btw, it's looking pretty positive on my end. Been busy, but now I guess I have to start paying better attention to things.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Good to hear!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I get the sentiment but they're not necessarily overselling. The show floor can take the 70k+ they're expecting but no venue will be able to take that many guests for a panel. Even at SDCC not everyone can be in Hall H and that's a con covering multiple interests. They're using an arena, two over flow rooms, almost certainly the live stage on the show floor, and streaming live online. I've been pretty vocal about hating the idea of a lottery and preferring the overnight, but in terms of actual capacity I'm not sure what else they could do. They're not going to cap a convention at panel capacity.

According to a Lucasfilm event coordinator on twitter we should get more details tomorrow. Have to say they're really behind with this one, they knew badges were shipping out, they should have got out ahead of this and released all the proper information rather than letting it come out like this and people are speculating on incomplete info.

I'm hoping lottery was an error and it's panel reservations for all the major panels. I preferred London and Orlando's system but I'd definitely take reservations over a lottery (provided the site/app can handle it).

Great to hear!

Padme501st and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Soldier Field!

Darkslayer, credar and ChrisLyne like this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    What's worse about the lottery is now there will be people entering it who would have likely never even thought of lining up overnight.

Darkslayer and Amon_Amarth like this.
  17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    That is pretty much all they could do at this point!

18. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Exactly. Your odds of getting in are pretty small.

19. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    Until anything is officially announced I will keep an open mind about it all. I am going with a friend so I definitely would be interested with partnering with a couple of people from here if they allow additional entries. I also read from the example we might pick a couple of panels and then prioritize them in order.

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    All of you prioritize Episode IX last. Thanks.

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    One person on Facebook told me you could swap panels with people who don't want what they get! I asked why would you apply for a panel you didn't want to see and was told in case their luck is better then the additional people (the 3 guests you can enter the lottery with in NYCC) get to go. This is why I was concerned above about how a lottery might be run and said if people enter in groups it should be linked to all badge numbers not just one so everyone can only enter the lottery once. Yes, I think a lottery sucks but if you're doing then it has to be fair and not open to abuse.

Not sure how prioritisation would work. Pretty much everyone will put IX first anyway so likely won't make much difference there. Could make a difference when it comes to people's second choice of panels. And how do they weight that system, is it per day or per badge? Because if it's per badge those with 5 days are going to be disadvantaged against those with single days.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    How would badges get linked though?

23. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    Yes, probably including people who hate "Disney Star Wars" who wouldn't have thought about making an effort for the panel, let alone camping out. They may sign up for this. Maybe just for spits and giggles.

24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm assuming when you pick them up on site you register them to the app and it picks up your reservations and info from there? Hopefully they'll fill us in tomorrow.

Ugh, now that's a really depressing (yet sadly probably true) thought.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  25. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    Also, we are kinda uber fans at this stuff. By definition, if you are on a message board you are in the upper echelon of fan engagement. I'm guessing there may be a fair number of people who are going just to go because it's in their area, etc. They may not be following this closely enough to know they have to pre-register for panels. They may show up in Chicago and think they can line up and go to a panel...only to find out it's been pre-reserved (depending on how this works).

I could see people being very confused and upset on site.

ChrisLyne likes this.