main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Badge Registration/Panel Lottery Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by star_wars_is_good, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Outside is going to create a lot of confusion because they will probably have a stand by line as well. Which will get more hectic than if it was just an overnight line.

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    You can guarantee people will be confused and upset.

When you consider some people (not sure what percentage) aren't getting info emails after signing up for the newsletter, international fans collecting tickets via Will Call won't get tickets now telling them to go to the activate page and see this information, and most fans aren't plugged into Celebration updates, even this close to the event, I fully expect a lot of people will miss this and be very angry on the day. Only way around that would be to do the reservations the day before each panel (this would also allow for Will Call badges to be collected) but based on them saying Will Call users can use their order numbers to register it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

3. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Hey everyone, how about the good old looking at a schedule and lining up, first come,first serve style! no worry or fuss! lets camp out-old fashioned style, hard core fans like that! now we will or may have to be put out by semi-fans with this panel signup-ugh.

4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    The badges do have a big sticker on the front telling you to go activate it.

5. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    People that aren't tuned in to the procedure wouldn't have camped out anyway.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  6. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    At most make the lottery 25% or 50% of the seats and allow for an overnight line for those who don't get it in the lottery. Entirely lottery just feels so...wrong. Even NYCC had it split 50/50 from what I'm reading.

ChrisLyne and star_wars_is_good like this.
  7. wookieebusiness

wookieebusiness Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    So, should I be concerned that my email hasn't arrived saying my badge has shipped?

8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I saw somebody say they called and were told all badges would be shipped out by Friday. I say if you haven't heard anything by Monday to reach out. Also, check your spam folder.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I haven't gotten one yet either.

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    They cancelled your badge when they heard you weren't bringing deodorant.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    One thing I've learned over the past year on here is the PT is surprisingly gif-able.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TFN Main has an article on the badges/queuing. I don't think there's anything new there but there are good-sized screen grabs of the information you get when activating your badge.
    @Obi Anne and anyone else going from overseas - you might want to consider getting a SIM card in Chicago for your phone. A friend who visits me from the US does that when he gets here. Saves on overseas roaming charges. Also you might want to consider putting your phone on airplane mode when not using it as that way it won't use data trying to update apps like weather displays, etc. He found that one out the hard way..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    That's good advice. Since it looks like this Celebration is going to be even more reliant on being online than ever before.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Since I'm only there for a week I don't think it's worth getting a separate SIM card, but I am going to order at data package from my regular provider. They have a package of 1 GB for around $30. Also since I am in a connected hotel, if I really need to get online I can go back and take advantage of the wifi there.

16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I need to find my 3 Sim Card. I bought it a few years ago when I went to New York. It's pay as you go but you can pay set amounts for packages that last 30 days (I think £25 is thousands of texts, minutes and 12GB of data) and it's part of their "At Home Anywhere" so I can use data and make calls in America as if I was in the UK at no extra cost. It's been well worth it.

17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Just be aware, in the US, hotel wifi tends to be pretty awful. Also, some hotels charge for wifi, so check your hotel's policy.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, Marriott Marquis charges for wifi unless you've joined their loyalty scheme (so I guess I'll have free wifi for 2 of my 8 nights [face_laugh])

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Please tell me they really call it their loyalty "scheme". :p

20. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Sadly they just call it "Loyalty Program"

I think scheme is better but it was free to sign up for, got me a cheaper room rate and free wifi so they can call it whatever they like :D

Edit - ok, apparently the Loyalty Program is actually called Marriott Bonvoy, who knew?! Just saw it when I logged in to check my hotel bookings. Guess I'm just nervous after yesterday and paranoia checking everything now!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  21. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    You know. The irony of all this is I had no plans in attending a panel.
    I've changed my mind. [face_mischief]

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You might find that the card isn't active if you haven't used it in awhile. PAYG phones here in the UK go inactive if you haven't connected to the network in a certain period. (I think EE is 180 days). I had one that did that but managed to get it back as it hadn't been inactive for very long. Now I make sure to connect to the network at least once a month. (I have an old dumb phone that I keep for emergencies like car breakdowns.)

23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I'll dig it out this weekend and check. Can get a new one if it's dead.

24. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    No shipping notice for me yet either. bummer.

25. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I received notices for all my stuff, badge,pins,shirts and things, they said they would arrive Friday.