main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the force will always be an important focus in Star Wars. You do have to explore other aspects of the universe to avoid it from becoming stale, however. This is why i think Rebels was fantastic when it was good. It had storylines where they explored new facets of the force, but also had arcs where the force was a non-factor. On one end there were Inquisitors, holocrons, mystical space wolves and a massive bearded lobster-goat thing [Bendu] but at the other end they had the formation of the Rebel Alliance and Mandalorian stuff. More of that, please.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    Great post, I totally agree. I think the OT did a really good job with it too. In ROTJ, Luke went off and did his own thing while the other characters did their non-force stuff. I hope they keep the balance and don't get completely away from the force. I would love to see a trilogy that focuses on the rise of a New Jedi Order. It could be very force heavy and could balance against some of the other things that are planned, assuming rumors are true that RJ's trilogy will actually have little to do with the force. I really just want more lightsabers in use. Hopefully the cameo in Solo proves that we have more of that in spin offs from that.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I like to see some darkside temples and different darksider cults compete at each other in the post episode 9,but hey. that happens all the time in the star wars universe regardless of the timeline.

4. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    I feel like you need a central council like in the PT, but with the caveat that it rotates out its members yearly to allow for different perspectives. It provides a hub of experience for younger members to rely on and gives a goal for them to aspire towards, sitting on the council being less about having position and rank and more about being able to share all of your experiences and knowledge and contrasting that with the experience of others. Centralization isn't bad on its own, but it needs to be wary of stagnation, which was what killed the Order during the Clone Wars. Agree on allowing for different weapons, styles of dress and not having to have everything codified down to the letter. The Force is unpredictable because it originates from life and nature is the ultimate expression of harmonious unpredictability. Even the chaos of the storm is part of the overall balance of nature if you will. A Jedi must be encouraged to find their proper balance from within first, which will transform into outer balance with the rest of the Order/Community/Galaxy.

I would think by the next trilogy/major story within the sequel verse, it would be right to have about 100 Jedi depending on the length of separation from current events (say 50-100 years). Even if we start older, becoming a Jedi is not a boot camp process that can churn out soldiers in a year to 6 months. If it were that easy, you'd have a thousand Jedi. But Force Sensitivity is an extremely rare thing, rarer still is finding the person, convincing them to join and then having them go through the training and maintaining a commitment to the Order. It's a lifelong process and it's NEVER going to be easy, and the movies should respect that. I'm on board with a GLC style of proactive journeys as well. Pair a Master with 2 Knights and their Padawans. These groups of 5 are sent out to explore/study/provide assistance where they can, the Masters working as leaders and helping to supervise the Knights as they teach their apprentices, but also being able to take over in the event the Knights have to go into a situation the Padawans aren't ready for. Plus it promotes learning from all levels, which I think is a great tool the Jedi would want to use.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Keep it simple, but push deeper (philosophically, not physically). Whatever they do, they should avoid an overly superhero-ized version of force wielding. Stay away from Force Unleashed kinda stuff.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My fear is that too much focus on the force will lead to some less creative directors exploring more hyper-powered versions of it. And Star Wars then becomes the MCU in the GFFA.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Vinylshadow and Generational Fan like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Hopefully yes if they set things 1000 years or more before the movies.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the force will always be central to most of Star Wars. I do not think the Sith should play a role in it after Episode 6.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I think you just have to give it time.

The new films have thus far largely catered to the fans who prefer the likes of Han Solo & his "gritty" world to the "flashy" Jedi universe.

Eventually storytellers who hold the latter side of the universe just as close to their heart will come to LF and start making stories that reflect that.

Obviously, The Old Republic is a no-brainer for this, and I think once Disney gets their streaming service off the ground, a mini-series loosely based on the Darth Plagueis novel would be sublime.
    It'd be the easiest sell ever -- "come see the SW universe through the ultimate bad guys' POV."
    And as a mini-series on a streaming site, it wouldn't have to worry about alienating the action-crazed general movie-going audience and could showcase the characters' political machinations alongside exploring the dynamics of Sith apprenticeships all in a relaxed pace.

10. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I think too much focus in any direction is not good for the overall Star Wars story.

What I mean by that is that you cannot just solely focus on the Jedi/Sith and "The Force" aspect of Star Wars, nor focus too on the Resistance (or Rebellion or Old Republic) vs The First Order (or Empire or Trade Federation), nor should LFL change the focus solely on the Star Wars Underworld. Because by solely focusing in on one area all the time, the GFFA is made a lot smaller and after a while, it would become less interesting. Sure a particular story (film) can focus in on the one area, but in the next film, you focus on another part; or just have multiple parts blended together. Don't do the same sort of thing over and over again. Keep the magic alive by changing things up and by having stories from different parts of the overall galaxy. And have these stories and characters of one aspect entwine with that of the other aspects.

Because for me, you need to have the day to day stuff that occurs in the Galaxy (ie. the people that are currently in charge of the galaxy and the war they wage against those trying to change the status quo), but you also need to have the stuff you wouldn't normally see (ie. Underworld and Unknown Regions stuff) and you need to have those magical and mythical elements too from those who can wield the Force.

That's what makes Star Wars so special (or potentially special) as a story, its because of all of these complex layers that are all meshed together as one story.

Think of Star Wars as a lasagne. If you just had the pasta sheets and the béchamel sauce, that would not be that special. But add in the minced meat, the tomato sauce aspects, some minced vegies, the cheese on top, then you have something special and very delicious.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Agreed.

And I think diversity and decentralization are key. Because instead of fans arguing over "Jedi should be A" vs "No, Jedi should be B" we can get "Jedi Order A" and "Jedi Order B" both coexisting and sharing the galaxy together, maximizing the potential of new stories and becoming more creative.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This I don't agree. Do push the force a bit and scale back the talky talky stuff. When I compare TFA and TLJ to the 3 Marvel Avengers movies and boy it was slow. Period. I enjoyed the Marvel movies, were fast fun and had a story. The other two were long and drawn out. Some of the action was.......yep. Looking back I just can't watch both movies straight. Now, on the other hand, I can watch RO and Solo. Those two movies had a more star wars feel to it.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But Rogue One and Solo were the least "force-centric" and superhero-like (as opposed to the ST). They were much more grounded in realism, and about as little like the Avengers films as one could imagine.

So I don't quite understand where you're coming from.

14. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    R1 and Solo however did maintain a high degree of momentum that carried the films and made them not feel sluggish, where TLJ gets bogged down in a lot of slow, somber talk-y philosophical slogs without delivering much. And the characters in these films still perform some pretty 'superheroic' level feats. Putting Han into a cockpit takes him from an okay shooter and terrible con man and turns him into s pilot that rivals the likes of Anakin Skywalker, handling a ship the way most people breathe and pulling off feats that kill other pilots. And Chirrut was probably the best example of what people wanted to see in a Jedi for the new films. A blind swordsman who could take out multiple trained soldiers with a stick. And Rogue One Squad was pretty much the A-Team.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    If there are Storys after the Sequels, then I Guess lightside users may definitely be Jedis..

16. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I can't imagine how any galactic entity consolidates all 'lightside' force users into a specific bucket. I'd like to see everything from devout and strict sects to more grey-like scoundrel/pirate types using the force. How they use it can vary as well whether especially those who are self taught vs trained. This would open up a lot of storytelling possibilities.

17. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I wanna go Hundreds or thousands of years into the future timeline after the sequel trilogy. :eek:^:)^

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    chrcharcor2 likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You want the films' stories to go there or you, yourself...?

DarthFixxxer and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Both and tv shows. Even video games

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I don't think they will re-create the Jedi Order... what would be the point? At most, Rey will give some crash course to the Force users she finds (if they even need it... the way the Force works now, it seems unnecessary...), give them a lightsaber, and recruit them for her team...

I mean... does Rey seem interested in creating a highly regimented organization? No.
    Does she seems interested in taking a slow, rigid, strictly disciplined approach to use of the Force? No.
    Do new Force users seem to need lots of training to use their powers? No.
    Add to that both Darth Vader and Kylo Ren received Jedi training for years from a young age, while Rey herself didn't receive any training at all, and Luke got a crash course...

So I think that, while Rey may help some kids learn a few tricks, hand them a lightsaber an call them Jedi, I don't think there will really be a new Jedi Order, unless it is founded by somebody else (some scholar of the Jedi lore and member of the Church of the Force similar to Lor San Tekka, or some member of the Guardians of the Whills like Chirrut Imwe who trains under some minor Force sect like the Baran Do or the Luka Sene or the Tyia or the Dagoyan Masters and rebuilds a new Order based on gathered scraps of knowledge on how the old Order worked...)

21. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    I would like there to still be Jedi but have other Force Sects start popping up like in the EU with Guardians of Breath and Jensaarai. Some are taught the way of the Jedi and stay but some learn and then go there on ways to seek more knowledge and make their own order.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. And this opportunity was opened up with the Guardians of the Whills.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with a mix. I'd say multiple temples is a good idea, and also different kinds of Jedi. I like the idea that there could be wandering Jedi throughout the galaxy, but I also feel there should be some sort of presence of a council or organized structure of some type which can be referenced. This would especially prove helpful if something like a galactic war were to break out-that way it wouldn't be just a mad gaggle of random Jedi all taking their own actions, but rather it would give way to a more coordinated effort across all systems.

24. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So basically, the Jedi will be having their Protestant Reformation.

Mostly Handless and Ghost like this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I can't tell if you're being facetious, or simply just paraphrasing...?

Either way, I kind of find myself surprised at how many on here seem to be against any form of structure at all for the Jedi. Am I really the only one here who sees at least some benefit in it? I mean, I "hate the government" and all that just as much as anyone, but I think no structure at all is a bit extreme. IMO in the GFFA, there were a few different factors that led to the downfall of the Jedi after the Clone Wars, but having an organized council and operational structure was NOT one of them. I simply don't see anything wrong with being organized, I guess-especially in times of widespread crisis.