main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Ships and Vehicles of Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KnightOfRen, Dec 13, 2017.

1. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Tantive III? Is that officially the one from ROTS or is that a typo? I never knew it was a different ship (to ANH).

TBH when I heard about the blockade runner in Ep IX I have assumed it would be the one captured at the start of ANH (Tantive IV). Perhaps alongside the Luke Cloud City X-Wing in some bizarre Pirates' collection. Purely made up speculation in my mind, perhaps dreampt!

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's definitely not the Tantive IV as seen in ANH and RO, same manufacturers, different model. Likewise I assumed that the Corvette in IX would be the Tantive IV or another CR-90 but if it's tied into Threepio's memory wipe it can only be Bail's ship.

moxlox likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The one in ROTS had blue markings, and the one in ANH had red markings. Let's see if this ship seen in the trailer (if it is seen, that is) has either.

4. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    So the newer model A-Wings and X-Wings are now joined by an upgraded Y-Wing. Shame we did not get a higher definition grab of the upper part of the poster to see what model the X-Wing on the left side is.

moxlox, DaddlerTheDalek and dekaneas like this.
  5. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Doesn't it look like the T-65? Judging by the engines i mean. That was my first impression at least, but i may have been too quick off the mark.

Y-wings though..
    I was silently hoping for their return and here they are. But are we sure they're an updated version rather than the old design?

dekaneas likes this.
  6. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Still not sure on the X-Wing up to the left. The highest resolution I could find seemed to indicate the S-foils were of the T-70 type.

The Y-Wing has a couple of small differences to the original, not as drastic as the X-Wing though.

7. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    You may very well be right. The resolution is too grainy for me to tell. The Y-wing cockpit may be somewhat slimmer perhaps.

Anyway, any theories about that new Tie? If it's the new interceptor i admit to liking the OT one better. It's simply a tad more menacing.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The Y-Wings are pretty much the same model but with field modifications, they're still the dilapidated craft from the OT. Just as the Resistance engineers created the transports using B-Wing cockpits, they're doing these modifications to A-Wings, X-Wings and Y-Wings to update them for combat against the FOs brand new TIEs.

9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    "Every word of what you just said..."

The Y-Wings appear to have a kink in the arrowhead and the dimensional relationship between the components of the rear fuselage have changed. That would indicate an upgraded rather than field modified model. The X-Wings and A-Wings have both had changes made from the older model and that also appears the case with the Y-Wing. None of the Resistance fighters have been modified from OT models, they are all newer craft.

10. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes the X-Wings are a newer model, I should've made it clearer that I wasn't meaning they were the same as the OT X-Wings, I was referring to Poe's X-Wing have a booster pod added onto it as a field modification. The RZ-2 A-Wing is a field modified RZ-1 according to TLJ Incredible Cross Sections, I assume that is still canon.

The Y-Wings seem to be the same, there are no dramatic changes, just tweaks to various parts, aesthetically the changes are minimal.

11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Virtually everything has changed from RZ-1 to RZ-2 A-Wings - fuselage, cockpit, weapons, engines. That's would be a complete refit and if they were just field modifications why the different model number? No, that's a mistake.

As for the Y-Wings - Yes, they are still Y-Wings but they don't appear to be the same model as in the OT.

The point here is that these are newer models than seen in the OT - not refitted or field modified.

Sarge likes this.
  12. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Y-Wing looks like its got different cockpit cowlings to me. Suggests its a new model.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Did a quick comp, providing the poster has used images of the real digital model then;

[​IMG]

Cockpit section extends further back to cover more of the neck.
    Engines are smaller but the fins are longer.
    Wings are further forward and possibly thicker.

14. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    They're A-Wings with every field modification, then standardised as RZ-2s. The in-universe answer would probably be that they stripped down an RZ-1 them rebuilt it incorporating all the field modifications, christened it a RZ-2 and all that followed. Though Wookieepedia suggests them to be field modified R-22 Spearheads, either way the ship is basically a product of being modified rather than a new design.

May be, if they're not the two seater version that has never been properly identified on screen in live action. From the description of the BTL Y-Wing mk.II, the cockpit is rounded, that wouldn't appear to match this one whereas the elongated cockpit woyld match the 2-seater model. The engine and the fins could easily be field modifications or even the original 2-seater configuration.

Would what would be brand new to the audience, but still a decade or two old be classed as being mothballed and brought back into service?

15. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    I really want a big space battle akin to the one in ROTJ. X-Wings, A-wings, Y-wings, corvettes, tie fighters, and assorted capitals. The one in Rogue One was very good but i want it larger, although not as cluttered as some in the PT.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    That's over complicated and typical of non-canon material.

The simple explanation is that the X-wings, Y-Wings and A-Wings have been in production for a few decades and every so often a new model comes off the factory line. These eventually find their way into the hands of the Rebels/Resistance of the day.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think TLJ established that these fighters are still in production and can be purchased by either side. DJ pulls up the hologram from the arms dealers ship showing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter that are fueling this conflict. I think its reasonable to assume that the shipyards producing these are continually modified designs of the original OT ships. The Rebel Alliance was using old tech to fight the Empire, but I'm not sure the same can be said of all the Resistance fighters. Clearly, in the case of Crait, the Ski Speeders were ancient - but I think the X, A, and now Y, might all be newly constructed, or at least produced during the ST era, rather than relics from the OT.

18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I want to see an O-Wing.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want to see a Chicken Wing. Haven't eaten in days.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought they smelled bad...on the outside.

moxlox likes this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    [​IMG]

22. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

Is Slave I mentioned in the new post-rotj canon? If it's still in existence it could feature as an easter egg.

23. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    As far as it goes, it's still sitting outside Jabba's Palace. I think that will all change with The Mandalorian.

Siphonophore and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    So what did we see in the teaser/presentation?

Rey in a desert junk-skiff
    Finn, Poe and Threepio in a bigger desert junk-skiff
    Jet pack Stormtroopers and a two-man First Order bike-speeder.
    Kylo piloting a new class of TIE fighter.
    A big Imperial/First Order ship, with unusual red markings down the flanks (actually looked more New Republic than FO),
    In the same battle sequence, an A-Wing in flames and other unidentifiable craft.
    The Falcon, some other ships and possibly an X-Wing on the jungle planet.
    A singular A-Wing approaching a new planet (I'm guessing that Rey goes off on her own at one point).

What we didn't see - X-Wings, Y-Wings, Kylo's Silencer.

25. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Am I crazy or does it look like Republic Star Destroyer? 1:32
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019