main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Also just realized next year is TOD's 35th anniversary. Wonder if there's plans for revival screenings to mark the occasion? I'd love to see TOD in theaters, it's one thing to see it time and time again on DVD and Blu-ray, but the theatrical environment and experience is so one of a kind and makes it seem like a whole new movie.

christophero30 likes this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They re-released the original trilogy in late 2013 for a limited run on Vue cinemas. I went to see them all, but I'm not sure what the occassion was for that re-release. Not that I care as any cinema viewing of the originals is always welcome.

3. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I'd love to see the original three in theaters. Maybe next year we'll get something since both TOD and TLC are sharing major anniversaries. Revival screenings are always good, especially for those who weren't born when these films were out and missed out on the theatrical experience. Certain films in the theater take on a whole new dimension they don't really have when viewed at home.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    christophero30 and AndyLGR like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    We can once again see confused people leaving the theater during anything goes thinking they are in the wrong movie. That happened. People would come in, and look around all confused. :)

5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Ha, that's hilarious. In a funny way that intro set the tone for the movie with how wild and frantic it gets, and how it goes into unexpected territory.

6. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I remember there were hundreds of complaints when it was first shown on tv in the UK in the 80s. One Sunday afternoon at 3.30pm, little kids all over the country sat in horror as a bald Satanic Indian priest clutched the beating heart of a man who was about to be burnt to death while some drugged up wild-eyed cultists chanted and beat the hell out of some Taiko drums. Good times.

The top Indiana Jones film for me with Short Round's Theme edging Raiders' The Map Room as my fav film score cue of all time.

They pop up at The Prince Charles in London every so often. That was the last time I saw it on the big screen not so long ago. Just checked and The Last Crusade's on there tomorrow eve in fact. So if you're in the city or home counties and you've never seen it then get yourself a seat. A 70mm treat awaits.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yeah that music when they are riding the elephants is just magical.

Blobofat and darkspine10 like this.
  8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    TOD turns 35 next month. Would be awesome if there were anniversary screenings.

9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Nice try Lao Che.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  10. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    "Prepare to meet Kali.... in Hell!"

11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    :cool: I was not allowed to watch the heart ripper scene as a child. My parents enjoyed the film but were horrified. And then it showed up on television with minor edits.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    That was pretty intense. Esp. for a PG movie. TOD could have been R, and along with Gremlins helped get the PG-13 rating established.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  13. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Here is my Temple of Doom Story:

My parents made me chose between getting a He-Man action figure and watching TOD in its original theatrical release. I chose the He-Man figure.

Don't worry. I was not an adult. I was only seven years old. I think it was mom who had major issues with the heart ripper scene! :D

Scenes like the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark with the faces melting were too gory for kids.

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    My theory is that TOD was a nightmare of Indy's.

Sarge and Tython Awakening like this.
  15. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    TOD's 35th anniversary is this Thursday, I'll try to make room to watch it. Like any great film it stands the test of time for sure and is one to rewatch over and over throughout the years.

16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    True story. May have told it before. I was 10 in 1984 when TOD was released, and I used to spend a lot of time with my paternal grandparents. I remember one Saturday morning during the childrens' TV shows they showed a trailer of TOD, and I jumped up to go and beg my grandfather to take me to see it. My nan, god bless her, shouted to him "Stan, he wants you to take him to see Indian Joe!"

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Happy 35th birthday to a movie I love even though it's kinda racist, a little crude, and super problematic, but it's fun and well-meaning enough that you're mostly able to let it slide.

KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It has some cool bits in it, and a whole lot of stupid.

Sarge likes this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    TOD is a ridiculously entertaining film. Say it's an Indry dream and it plays much better. Anything goes.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I love it, it’s up there in joint first with Raiders for me. Raiders is the definitive article, and I think sets the “formula” for what an Indiana Jones movie ought to bring, much like You Only Live Twice and The Spy Who Loved Me did for the Bond franchise, but what I love about Doom is its lurid, pulp, comic-book feel.

21. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    Its the first Indiana Jones film I have seen and it set the tone for me. I love it.

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    TOD has such an epic score as well. Those were the peak JW years.

23. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    *dances around and sings anything goes*

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Willie Scott. [face_love]

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Another milestone anniversary as this one is 35 years old this month.

christophero30 and KyleKartan like this.