main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Asajj Ventress in the Clone Wars discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fanboyskywalker, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Was reading some old Star Wars Tales comics and came across a few featuring Aurra Sing, who - in Legends - was an ex-Jedi assassin

Pity that Ventress pretty much took her backstory for herself and replaced her as Obi-Wan's arch-nemesis, especially after how much Sing integrated herself into Obi-Wan's life during his tenure as a Jedi Apprentice under Qui-Gon

2. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you. This is exactly the way I see it. While I can see where people are coming from when they say that the jedi would never consider assassination, the Clone Wars as a whole was meant to be their downward spiral. Starting from when they turn from peace keepers to generals, leading up to DD where they stoop as low as to consider an assassination attempt.

I was one of those people who read the book, didn't care for it, even after I finished with it. Then after I thought about it for a bit I generally liked some ideas that they went with. Obi-wan's little speech he gave to the council at the end of the book really sold it for me.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    We don't know what Lucas planned or didn't plan this arc to be. The novel is an adaptation of his content. And as an adaptation (that he didn't supervise), things changed. We may get the gist of the story and overall arc but many details were changed and/or expanded upon.

I'm well aware of the narrative they've been trying to push and shove to tarnish the Jedi and what they stand for, thank you. But no, the Jedi didn't lose their way in the war. It has been established in the movies that they are not happy that there is a war in the first place. The war was not their doing and they were forced into it due to their oath of service and protection. That's the whole point that made Palpatine take advantage of them (and the Republic itself) in the first place.

Jesta', Sudooku and cwustudent like this.
  4. CloneWarsSupporterNumber1

CloneWarsSupporterNumber1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2018
    Well, from a POV, the Jedi DID lose their way, because Letta Thurmond said in Season 5 of “The Clone Wars” “there are some people in the Republic, like myself, who believe the Jedi Order is not what it used to be. The Jedi have become war mongers, military weapons, and they’re killing when they should be keeping peace”. So, if u want to claim the Jedi didn’t lose their way, go ahead, but, there’s clearly evidence from the latter episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels to show you’re claim isn’t true and that, to quote Barriss Offee in the Season 5 finale “the Jedi have so lost their way that they’ve become villains in the conflict and have become an army fighting for the Dark Side that has fallen from the light that they once held so dear”.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That was my take as well. In the PT, we get the sense that the Jedi aren't all they're cracked up to be primarily from Anakin's perspective. TCW expanded on that to include other Jedi (Krell, Barriss, and of course Ahsoka) and ordinary citizens of the Republic.

6. CloneWarsSupporterNumber1

Aug 10, 2018
    Thank you. Someone here has a clue.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, that's what that character said. Doesn't make it a fact. Calling the Jedi war mongers is a flat out lie. Saying they aren't keeping the peace when they are fighting to protect the Republic is disingenuous.

Again, I'm well aware of the narrative they tried to (and continue to, in other works) shove through secondary or questionable characters in the series. A narrative that I've been critical about since day one, a narrative that Lucas himself had to intervene and put a limit on in the last episode of season 5. As for Rebels and other Disney works, I couldn't care less. They can make the Jedi the villains for all I care. They don't speak for the guy who created them, and that's what I find important.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Jesta' and cwustudent like this.
  8. CloneWarsSupporterNumber1

Aug 10, 2018
    Well, Clone Wars had Jedi who were made villains that were corrupt and lost their way like General Krell and Count Dooku (even though he had reasons for leaving the Order and joining Sidious), but, I guess that’s not enough to push you to think otherwise.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Jedi who became villains precisely for deviating from the Jedi way doesn't make the Jedi as a whole, or their ways, corrupt. The Jedi having no choice but to be involved in the war to defend the Republic they swore to protect doesn't make them corrupt either.

cwustudent and Sudooku like this.
  10. CloneWarsSupporterNumber1

Aug 10, 2018
    But, it does make them a victim of the political side of the Galaxy because they basically had to give up standing with Ahsoka to save themselves from being viewed more negatively by the Senate than they already were.

whostheBossk and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  11. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Anyone who went against Palpatine became villainized and later a victim. Look at the homeworld of Dathomir - both Ventress and Maul were corrupted by Sidious, and the Nightsisters boldly resisted, just as the Jedi did, though the schemes of Sidious were written to be foolproof. Ventress and the Nightsisters went about things in a different fashion, but the end goal was the same - elimination of the Sith.

Sudooku and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ventress herself never really went against Palpatine; but instead his puppet (Dooku). Obviously Ventress became the pawn when Palpatine wanted to test Dooku's loyalty; something Dooku seemed very apprehensive and bitter about.

Sudooku likes this.
  13. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    A person or an organization isn't corrupt, when they are aiming at the abolition of the corruption respective ending the war.

Yoda in the Tup-Arc did confess before the Council, that this may be not the right way, but the only one left. A corrupt person instead is enjoying her action and does it without scruples.

Shaak Ti in the very same arc tried to save Fives, whom she deemed to be ill and in need of a cure. Was Shaak Ti corrupt, just because her actions on a good purpose were manipulated by Palpatine that way while clouding her and the other Jedi's vision?

And btw. this discussion here about the moralty of the Jedi was exactly what Palpatine was aiming on. So what would you have done in the shoes of Yoda, Windu & Co. while not knowing Order 66 yet nor the OT or Rebels?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Wait, if you're referring to the arc involving the corrupt inhibitor chip, neither Palpatine nor Dooku wanted that to happen. The chip itself was supposed to be dormant until Palpatine gave the call for Order 66, right?

15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I think we know that. I was referring to the actions of Shaak Ti, who wanted to do the right thing and by that, causing the killing of Fives and thwarting the revelation of the true nature of the inhibitor chip - which was all due to Palpatine's and Dooku's wishes. The Sithlords used Shaak Tis obedience to the chancellor and her desire to cure the clones, entrusted to her at Kamino.

16. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    i never liked Quinlan Vos girlfriend. I mean i will amount Ventress is actally a better love intrest in character sense. The character they had in Dark Horse as Vos love intrest was a useless character and was just there so 12 year olds chould buy the comics

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2018
    Merric likes this.
  17. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Ok kind went too far with Quinlan Vos old love intrest. I just hate when people try to to say his romance with Khaleen Hentz was great story story telling and better then Ventress. When in reailty, Khaleen had no character and really felt like a character merely to be a fanservice girlfriend for Vos.

Ventress and Vos relationship may feel force, but i was happy they had a lot of character already.

So sorry about my language before.

revan772 likes this.
  18. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    They could have developed Khaleen Hentz' charakter more. For we don't know her so much, there is much open about what woman would had suit better. Khaleen Hentz was pregnant and they had a son. Thats another argument not to skip a character that gratuitously. I also didn't like that Leia's other children were shoved away with the nu canon to take little Ben from Luke and Mara to hand him over to Leia and Han. No wonder Ben killed his surrogate father lately.:p

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  19. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    @Sudooku , I understand, I was never a big Khaleen Hentz and felt like she was out of place in the Republic comics. as everyone else had great character and backstory and she was just there. The only big important thing i can say she did sadly is having a baby with Vos.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd only consider buying that if it's more about Ventress than it is about Dooku.

revan772 and Erkan12 like this.
  22. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I wonder how the audio novel will differ from the Plagueis-novel in its description about why Dooku left the order. When we'll have Ventress' point of view only, it will still be open to describe how exactly he joined the Sith, if not Dooku told her about it directly.

I still remember the discussion about blue and green. But now with this amazing cover it is out officially: Dooku's Jedi lightsaber was blue!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    whostheBossk and kalzeth like this.
  23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Was this a 1st April fake?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No. It was originally posted in an article about a week ago.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wonder if it will differ from what's established in the movies. Dooku left for political reasons.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019