main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT Unpopular but Correct Opinions

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, I like to bring it up whenever other grad students are lamenting about how such-and-such famous past mathematician was so much more notable than they'll ever be. "They're dead, so I doubt they care now."

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    How about anyone getting tax breaks for being married or having kids are discriminating those that don't.

solojones and Rylo Ken like this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    As a single childless person, I absolutely think you should just give me all the money.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yes, go get some snacks

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Academy Awards was a better production when at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion; also ought to go back to being on a Monday night.

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I had no idea TFA was so universally loathed now. [face_hypnotized]

My reply to both of you: One of the few things I didn’t like about the movie was how it adhered so closely to the ANH formula—especially with an attack on another Death Star at the end. That is one mark against an otherwise very solid movie, I'll concede.

But there are a lot of things I love about the movie. Rey's journey was an excellent and authentic take on the traditional hero's journey, and I really liked how they handled Finn's turn to the good side. Poe Dameron was great, and it was just really nice seeing all the chemistry each of the actors had with each other. Han was a great old mentor, and I love the particular Solo-esque spin he put on it. And even Kylo Ren was interesting as a villain in the sense he was basically a short-tempered fanboy (like so many real-life Star Wars fans). It was subversive in that way. There was a lot of good humor and much more emotional resonance than in other SW films.

As for TLJ, I like the movie, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot I didn't like. I felt like Luke's arc in TLJ (or at least up until that movie) undid so much of his character arc in the OT, it almost ruined him for me. The movie was weird with Rey in that it somehow managed to sideline her despite her being one of the primary protagonists. So much of Finn's and Rose's excursion was clutter that could've and should've been cut. I actually really liked how they played off each other though (and their friendship was one of the highlights of the movie for me), which was why it was so disappointing they shoehorned in a romance between them at the end that absolutely had no reason to be there. Also, the Poe-Holdo insubordination subplot was stupid and unnecessary. Another quibble with the movie is that it styles itself as being a departure from the norm for SW movies. I felt like it could've really done this well at the moment when Kylo offers Rey to join him. I really wanted her to so we could see something other than Jedi vs. Sith, a truly gray alliance that would've made for some interesting stories down the line. Instead it just turned into standard Jedi vs. Sith, the only difference is that it's a non-Skywalker who's the great Jedi hero now. (Oh, so innovative!)

Now I'm not going to sit here and say that TFA is objectively better than other SW movies in the OT or otherwise (my initial post was mostly hyperbole). But it is the one I enjoy the most, for the reasons listed above. I'll also acknowledge I was a latecomer to Star Wars, so I never got to experience ESB without the hyper overload surrounding it (and I of course already knew Vader was Luke's father).

And if that makes my opinions on movies worth never listening to, then so be it. Fight me!

If you think that's bad, you should see my opinions on video games. [face_batting]

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    If by "universally" you mean a small number of people who post here, sure. :p

Sarge and solojones like this.
  8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    That was my fault for construing the opinion of the JC as representative of viewers as a whole. :p

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked TFA. The Crait scene was all I could tolerate of TLJ though.

mnjedi and Rew like this.
  10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, and this is why the infidel West must be destroyed.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Fallout 76 is actually fun and enjoyable.

12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Just the opposite for me. I find the concept of a lack of an afterlife to be absolutely terrifying. It actually keeps me up at night sometimes the thought that there will come a day that all consciousness and everything I've ever experienced will cease forever and ever.

I find this to be an unpopular opinion amongst my fellow agnostics/atheists (most of whom are far more sanguine about the concept of eternal oblivion).

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My atheism and existential nihilism influences my political and social views. Yes, there is no meaning or purpose to life and there is no afterlife and in a trillion years even the universe itself will effectively end (as far as we know; it's pretty poorly understood since, for example, we don't even know what "dark matter" and "dark energy" are-- the vast majority of what actually comprises the universe). That doesn't mean our lives and the world can't be much better. You know, like that verse that starts with "Imagine there's no heaven." [face_beatup]

SuperWatto, epic and tom like this.
  14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    @Darth Guy What do you think of my TFA defense above? (I saw you "liked" those two posts that ****-talked me for my opinion. :p)

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    pretty much same. the point i was trying to make earlier is that my nihilism actually motivates me and frees me up to try things. when i'm having anxiety or my brain is trying to tell me that i shouldn't step outside of my comfort zone, reminding myself that it doesn't actually "matter" (at least in some grand, ultimate sense of that word) is incredibly freeing. not that i'm always out having adventures and saving the world, but it gets me out there more than i would be otherwise.

and oblivion after death doesn't seem too bad to me. like an endless dreamless sleep. the thought that my consciousness would somehow go on forever and i could never shut it off is something i'd actually find more terrifying.

duende, poor yorick, epic and 2 others like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, my dislike of TFA mainly ties into my hatred for JJ Abrams as a writer-director. From the moment he was announced I knew what was going to happen and I wasn't happy about being right. I wouldn't say TLJ is better than ESB or even a great film, but at least it tried things, some of which I thought were successful.

Rew likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I love this thread. The premise was already great, but we got to the meaning of life in five pages.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Citizen Kane is overrated.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    What's freeing for you is kind of debilitating for me. It's sometimes hard to enjoy the good things in life or pursue something that will help me if I linger on the thought that I'm going to be dead eventually, and when that happens it'll be forever. You'd think I'd find the thought a little more liberating when things are bad, but then my mindset defaults to "Life sucks, then you die," which is not at all empowering. :p

Regarding your last sentence, I don't think I'd want to live forever either. To live forever without the option of release would indeed be worse than death. But it just seems like 100 years is too short. If I could, I would live at least 1,000. I suppose my true concern is that (except in very exceptional circumstances), you can't choose your lifespan or when you pass away.

tom likes this.
  20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    If in the end nothing matters and everything will be destroyed anyway, the only thing that matters to you is your direct surroundings. The people you interact with. Friends, family. Colleagues. Clients. Folks on a forum.
    We matter, to each other.

Yeah it's sappy! That's why it's an unpopular but correct opinion.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    There is a purpose to death. If every human lived 1,000 years, too many resources would have been gobbled up and humanity would have gone extinct looong before 2114. Also I'm skeptical that our brains could handle such a lifespan; weird **** could start to happen with our memory and perceptions of time.

22. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    All men should wear kilts

KissMeImARebel, poor yorick and Rew like this.
  23. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    (I just realized that for once I sound like my avatar in my last two posts. :p)

Fun fact: I was once writing a novel where a random and unremarkable couple in the 21st century happen upon a plot device that turns them immortal and had fun pondering how that would warp their minds and their memories 100 years, 500 years, and 1000 years into the future, and so on. After enough centuries pass, they forget their own parents or even that they had parents at all and used to be mortal--eventually they concluded that they were always gods whose purpose was to rule over the rest of the population, who were just going to die in a few decades anyway. (I think I ended up turning them into an RPG final boss before giving up on the story.)

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    yep, our job really is just to make life a little bit easier for eachother as we hurtle through space on a rock, destined to die. it’s a shame there’s so many **** people in the world thinking of themselves and their own power and prestige, but I guess that’s inevitable. I kinda feel at times that the ones who ‘get it’ won life ultimately. the rest missed out on something really fundamental and beautiful.

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    This is true because movies are overrated in general. Otherwise, great film