main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite Film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkslayer, Apr 9, 2019.

?

What Is Your Favorite Star Wars Movie?

1. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

6.6%
  2. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

5.5%
  3. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

23.1%
  4. Solo: A Star Wars Story

1.1%
  5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

4.4%
  6. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

16.5%
  7. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

29.7%
  8. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

2.2%
  9. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

1.1%
  10. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought the least favorite thread inspired a bit too much negativity for my tastes, so I asked our gracious mod overlords if we could have an inverse thread as well that would hopefully be a bit more positive!

[​IMG]

A few reminders before we start:

(1) This thread is limited to discussing why a person specifically likes the movie best rather than why it is better than the other films.

(2) The normal rules against bashing any film or trilogy and unreasonable "gushing" of course still apply.

OK, I think that's everything!

[​IMG]

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    AOTC:

it has a little bit of everything. Action, Adventure, Mystery, Drama. AOTC is the very essence of what Star Wars is about and captures the Flash Gordon themes Lucas originally wanted them to be seen as.
    In addition, AOTC is the movie I feel that makes the galaxy looks a huge and exciting place. From the shots of Geonosis and the dawn/dusk of Tatooine to Kamino being far away.

Plus it gets unfairly dumped on :p

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS for me. It's the most "blockbuster" of the franchise. Coruscant looks as good as ever, Utapau and Mustafar are some of the coolest planets and even the cameo planets are amazing. The opening battle of Coruscant has banter, exciting action set pieces, a lightsaber duel, a mini duel with MagnaGuards, a fun crash landing sequence, and some great eye popping colors.

The Darth Plagueis scene is so rich in atmosphere, Padme's Ruminations is the most beautiful unlike SW moment to date, the tension of Palpatine revealing his true identity to Anakin always has me on edge, Obi-Wan's adventure to Utapau provides nice levity to Anakin's increasingly murky doubt on Coruscant and gives us more Clone Wars action. Some amazing acting by Hayden and Ewan. The score when Bail heads to the Jedi Temple makes my heart swell. The amazing duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan that really set the bar for cinematic swordfighting and the beautiful ending of Obi-Wan bringing Luke to the Lars always makes me wanna rewind the film to the beginning and ask myself "How did we get here?"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Phantom Menace. It's the most bright and vibrant of all the films (though AOTC comes closest), and I just adore to Old Republic aesthetic like we see on Naboo and Coruscant.

The slower sections on Tatooine have some of my favourite character interactions (such as the Anakin/Shmi departure scene), whilst the first and third acts have some incredible action and visuals.

The blend of miniatures and CG is arguably at it's best here, and stuff like the Battle of Naboo is honestly groundbreaking.

Music too, it has a slightly different vibe from the other films (I find it kinda hard to describe in words), and there are multiple phenomenal action pieces.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Return of the Jedi.

It inspired my user name because I really became interested in Anakin’s story after seeing him redeemed, and learning that he was Luke’s father and Obi-Wan’s friend. I went from a casual Star Wars fan inspired by Leia’s badassery to a more hard-core fan. I loved the happy ending with the Empire’s defeat, I love Vader throwing Palpatine down the reactor and telling Luke to help take his mask off, Leia strangling Jabba for enslaving her, the forest biome on Endor, and yes, the Ewoks. The carnivorous, 3PO worshipping Ewoks who took down a “legion of the Emperor’s best men.”

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    RotJ is the weakest of the OT in terms of film-making artistry, but the amazing way it ends the Skywalker saga with the final confrontation in the throne room makes it the most powerful and moving of them all. ANH, ESB, and R1 are all better-made films in my eyes, but RotJ is still my favorite.

7. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    My all-time favorite will always be the original Star Wars, for simply being the one that started it all.

Viper78 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The Last Jedi. I'm a huge big sucker for analysis of media from within said media, and disecting Luke's character hits a real sweet spot for me. I think it has the best acting, the best visuals, and the best moments in the entire saga. I think it also resonates with me more because it's coming from this generation of films. I never got to see the OT or Prequels in their original form on the big screen. That was before I really got into the franchise. But these really feel like my films.

9. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Revenge of the Sith. It’s the best looking and most emotional film of the saga and in my opinion, the best plot.

It includes some of my favorite sequences in all of film including the entire opening, Order 66, the Darth Plagueis scene, Padmé’s ruminations, the creation of the Empire, Obi-Wan and Padmé, and the ending.

It also has my favorite score. I don’t think there’s a track I don’t like in the movie. I think JW took a different approach where he individually scored each scene. It definitely paid off. Great acting from Hayden, Ewan, and Ian throughout. 10/10 film.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Attack of the Clones. Best captures both the epic and intimate sides of Star Wars, and I love its specific genre mashup style the most.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm surprised that I picked Rogue One because I find Disney's Star Wars to so far be inferior to what came before, but Rogue One, I feel, was truly a great film. But more than that, it was idealistic. It wasn't cynical. And that's what originally made Star Wars what it was, that optimism. That sense of people coming together who don't know each other but see evil and give their lives to fight it. Selflessness. It's not a lesson that much media seem to teach nowadays IMHO (at least from what I've seen).

And much as I love the music in ROTS and ESB, this piece stands out for me:

(And I suggest you guys at least listen to the first minute of it)

I mean, wow, it's like I can feel my heart whenever I listen to this music. Absolutely gorgeous. So many emotions are conveyed through this musical piece.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  12. skyabovethesky

skyabovethesky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2019
    episode v

[​IMG]

we would not be here talking in depth about any myths of the star wars universe without this entry to the saga. as the first follow-up sequel, this is the one that cemented the franchise into the history books. episode iv planted the seed, and the roots were set with episode v. it opened the door to the vast myriad of creative vision that first captured the world's fascination three years prior. questions that no one would bother pondering in episode iv emerge here. the empire strikes back is the best star wars feature period. reasons why:

-- the soundtrack; this is john williams at his finest. for the first time ever we hear the imperial march. it is pure magic.

[​IMG]

-- force ghosts.

[​IMG]

-- hoth battle scene; snow speeders! at-ats! tauntauns! ice world!

[​IMG]

-- yoda.

[​IMG]

-- luke's vision of vader as he completes his training; this is the moment the deeper myth in the star wars universe is established

[​IMG]

-- "no, there is another."

[​IMG]

-- the asteroid field chase. we are treated to how extraordinary the millennium falcon really is, plus the ace piloting skills of han and chewy

[​IMG]

-- bounty hunters: ig88, dengar, bossk, zuckus, 4-lom, and boba fett

[​IMG]

-- bespin/cloud city; the most gorgeous of any locale featured in the saga imo

[​IMG]

-- lando calrissian.

[​IMG]

-- "i love you." "i know."

[​IMG]

-- luke/vader's duel; the severed hand; the reveal

[​IMG]

-- leia rescues luke via the force

[​IMG]

-- the cliffhanger leaving the audience questioning what just happened in the movie's last half hour... vader is luke's dad? will han be saved? it's star wars storytelling at its absolute finest.

[​IMG]

13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The Last Jedi, because besides the fantastic acting, music and epic moments, it courageously takes not only the saga story , but fantasy filmmaking itself, to a new place. It boldly suggests that anyone can be a hero and it does so with grace and economy all while respecting and building upon what came before it. It boldly suggests that perhaps, just perhaps, the hero of this *story* isn’t necessarily the only hero of the *galaxy*. Perhaps all those characters who endeavor to reach their potential share in saving the galaxy.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Empire. Love it. Love it. Love it.

15. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Not my favorite from the core 6 films but TPM have a lot of heart to it. Unlike the most Star Wars fans, I think the overt childlikeness of it gives it an innocent charm. Yet, all of this innocent will be used to destroy the republic is set up in this film. Palpatine uses the innocence of Padme to bring himself into power by her call of no confidence whose fitting a queen of the Eden-like world in episode 1. Palpatine uses the innocent of the good-hearted fool Jar Jar to bring himself ''emergency powers'' to destroy the republic internally in episode 2. Palpatine uses the innocent love that Anakin once has for Padme to morph him into a psychotic killer to destroy the guardians of the republic, the Jedi and the Separatists.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    ROTS I think it is a really good rap on the Prequels

Emperor Ferus, Viper78 and Darkslayer like this.
  17. KyloRen15

KyloRen15 Jedi Padawan

Jul 4, 2015
    The Last Jedi did it for me Hamill was deserving of a Oscar.

18. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Revenge of the Sith

This film truly has it all, a masterpiece in my eyes. It is by far the most emotionally gripping film I have ever seen. The sequences starting with Padme's Ruminations are some of the best in film history IMO. It truly makes you feel terrible for the path Anikan has to go down. Just thinking about it gives me chills lol.

Honorable mention to The Last Jedi, it is right up there but lacks some of the emotional appeal ROTS has.

19. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    A New Hope. Epic and timeless.

Viper78 and christophero30 like this.
  20. rogue_leader1

rogue_leader1 Jedi Padawan

Jan 12, 2019
    ESB is undoubtably my favorite film of the saga. It has all of my favorite aspects of Star Wars wrapped up into one movie. You have a little bit of the war action from the Battle of Hoth, Luke learning more ways of the force from Yoda and a glimpse of Obi-wan. Leia and Han on their journey to Bespin, only to be caught in Darth Vaders trap to lure Luke to him.

Plus I also feel like ESB had the biggest cinematic reveal in history. Luke finding out that Darth Vader is his father is one of the best moments in the entire franchise in my opinion. Plus it has some good one-liners and I feel like it was scored phenomenally.

21. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I voted for ANH, though actually for me it's a tie between ANH, AOTC and ROTS. But ANH is what started it all and was the movie that impressed me most as a kid.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Viper78 likes this.
  22. Revenge of the Sith is and will be my favorite Star Wars movie ever I loved the tone of that film
    I think it was the only Star Wars movie designed for an adult audience I doubt we'll see something like that again

Only a movie with the writing of the KOTOR games could overcome my love for that movie

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Did you see Rogue 1?

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Empire. Totally a cliche choice for a fan of my generation (born 1971) but there really is a reason... we all waited obsessively for three years for "more" SW and were bowled over by the fact that what we got was not only better, but opened the doors for so much more storytelling that, well, we're all still here today. It also continues to age better than any of the other films, and probably always will.

25. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Star Wars. A unique achievement in the history of cinema. Utter genius from first to last. Started a religion. I honestly think it's an underrated, underappreciated masterpiece - easily the equal of other classics of its era such as Taxi Driver, The Godfather, Days of Heaven, Apocalypse Now and the rest. Hated by a generation of film critics who unfairly blame it for the death of the New Hollywood, it's now been subsumed into Geek culture, where it's received the booby prize of languishing alongside inferior films such as Back to the Future, ET, Ghostbusters et al.

I honestly think in 100 years time, people will still be looking back on Star Wars and wondering how Lucas did it. How did so many things go right at once?

Viper78 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.