main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    That's actually a very solid idea.

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I would certainly have a hard time to wrap my head around who I wanna do, but hell I would not be able to resist auditions Sounds like the most interesting thing in character creation we had in years!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Very tempting. Someone needs to do auditions around here. Amazing idea!

4. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    What if we want to create our own character though? Could we not have a small character sheet made up for that?

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  5. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    I don't see why not.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  6. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Thank you. :)

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Character sheets are fine for original characters that no one's familiar with, but for characters that have already been well established previously, they've always seemed kinda pointless to me. Everyone knows Superman's real name, appearance, biography, etc. The audition thing is an idea I've had for a long time, I guess I just never voiced it or had an opportunity to implement it before. It's doubly useful because a) the first one to submit their sheet doesn't automatically (unfairly?) get the character, and b) the GM gets to pick the best writer for the job. I doubt you'd wanna have a major character like Batman in the hands of someone who'd do a poor job portraying him and negatively affecting the entire story as a result.

Hell, you could even take it one step further and put a Casting Call thread in the resource forum for GMs to post about when auditions are being held in their games without having to make the title of their game ugly (Now Accepting New Players is hardly an appealing subtitle, don't you think?). So if, let's say, a Batman game was to come to a point in the story where Lex Luthor suddenly appears, why not give someone a shot to jump in and play him who may not have been around or available when the game started?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Well, the idea is amazing. Maybe a year or two too late ... nowadays you don't have three guys signing up to play Batman around here, do you? If you got three guys signing up at all, you would be kinda lucky.

But I would love to see our finest players compete over these two roles!

9. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    I saw something like that once, was amazing fun also the game lasted only a few posts. Question is, does the community vote via "likes" in a public channel or does the GM simply pick his choice? Both is attractive I think.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I would think the players would send their auditions to the GM via private message and the GM would make their decision based on those. Putting it to a public vote would allow personal biases/favoritism to get in the way.

11. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Totally agreed. Also these personal stuff is no longer really a problem around here, I'd say it is not a community thing. The GM needs his Batman. It is probably not only about who writes best, but also who is most attuned with the idea of the game or who brings the most interesting take on the character to the table.

Sinrebirth and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  12. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Ok, I wrote up a rough draft for the Batman game idea, see if you like it.

The rusted gates of Arkham Asylum hung loose, swinging gently and emitting an eerie creek in the soft breeze. The Rolls Royce Wraith slipped through the dark night, glinting in the moonlight. It slithered down the winding road towards the entrance of Arkham Asylum.

The young man watched as they passed the lawn, winding down the narrow rode which lead to the front door of the old place. It wasn't in much use anymore. In fact, none at all. Save for one person who still stayed there.

They slid up the driveway and came to a halt, the old gravel crunched softly as the chauffeur opened the car door. He slipped open the door, and the young man stepped out of the vehicle. They both made their way up to the door, and knocked.

There was no reply, but they still entered nonetheless. The place was broken down, vines covered the crumbling walls outside, and the tiles inside the building were strewn and destroyed. The young man nodded to the chauffeur in assurance, and they both proceeded down the entrance hall. It took them an hour to make their way through the complex, but they found him. He was in the same cell he had always been put in. There was no more security, he was free to leave when he wished, but he didn't.

The two new arrivals looked through the broken doorway. A figure, huddled over a table with a rotting deck of cards in one hand, took no notice of them. The young man stepped into the room, avoiding the broken plaster and concrete that littered the floor.

"You're really him, aren't you?"

The tattered figure raised his head. His long and wild hair drooped over his face, and a ragged beard drooped from his withered skin. His sunken eyes, yellowing with medical conditions, drooped as he stared at the young man.

"I could be... It all depends whom you are looking for..." He muttered as he dipped his head again. The young man looked around nervously at the small chipped bones and stale cans of urine littering the room.

"The... Bats greatest foe... The Joker..."

"That's me..." spat the figure, bitterly.

"They say you are the last one who will tell people how he died..."

The figure looked up, his eyes narrowing at the young man.

"You want to know how the batman died?"

The young man nodded, and turned to the chauffeur, nodding him in. The figure chuckled.

"Not many come here to hear that tale... Not many come here at all in fact. Superstitious... Scared of the Asylum..."

The figure looked around the room. Cracking his knuckles and stretching.

"There are chairs here somewhere, take a seat. You will be here a while. This is a long story..."

The young man looked around, and pulled over a withered, rotting chair, and sat. The figure grinned, his rotting teeth glinting slightly in the dim light. One could very faintly see his green hair in the light, and his infamous pure-white skin. He sat back slightly, taking in a deep breath.

"We must start this tale at the beginning of the end. This is how the Batman fell. How Gotham lost their only hope."

Batman - Fall

Overview-
    Welcome to Batman - Fall. The story in which Batman will have to undergo perhaps one of the greatest struggles to prevent the fall of Gotham. While much of the story cannot be given away right now, Batman and the GCPD have come to their "unspoken agreement," allowing Batman to fight crime as he usually does, and the most notorious are locked up in Arkham Asylum... For now...

Characters -
    It is encouraged that you take characters already known to the DC universe (specifically characters frequently seen in Batman stories) however it is not a requirement. If you wish to play either Batman or the Joker (and perhaps a few other famous characters, depending on how applications go) send a PM with a character sheet filled out (found below) with that character. It is NOT a guarantee you will play Batman or the Joker if you send a CS with their details filled in, the role goes to whomever is most fit for the job. If you do not manage to get the role, you are still more than welcome to send in a CS with a different character.

CS-

Alias:
    Appearance:
    Weapons/Tools:
    Bio:

RULES-
    1. GMs word is law!
    2. Follow the RPF rules and the TOS
    3. PM all CS (Character Sheets) the the GM for approval!!
    4. This game will have a player cap, the exact numbers for which are currently undecided.
    5. Character death is a possibility, and some pre-existing DC characters are planned to die in the story (Though if you do things right, this could be avoided!)
    6. Minor NPC's can be controlled within reason, such as unnamed cops, goons, etc. Nothing ridiculous though.
    7. Have fun!

greyjedi125 likes this.
  13. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    greyjedi125 and Master Vo'Un'Var like this.
  14. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    I don't see why not!

15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Thank you!

16. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    I think the idea for people to audition for the roles was better than the above tbh

This is basically a standard canon-character method, while players sending in examples of play to be measured against each other in an auditioning process ... is much more interesting.

DarkLordoftheFins likes this.
  17. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
  18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Have no clue if its ok to ask for interest in an RP being held on a different site here

Basically its Super robot Wars

Pretty much the main rule so as long as you have a mech or power armor you are good

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Actually I have been thinking about a Star Wars game. Something classical. The story of a rebel cell operating from an asteroid base and dragged into a conflict with an imperial Moff when one of their operations leads to greater repercussions than expected ...

Basically I would tell a smaller story, with high personal stakes and based on three, four locations ... much like a Star Wars Movie.

What do people think?

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Interest Check: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10887
    Character Apps: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=273872
    IC Thread: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11126

https://discord.gg/jTnJSgb

RP in question discord for OOC too

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  21. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sounds like a promising Star Wars story, without Jedi and the whole force angle. But if we are honest, smaller stories had a hard time finding players lately.

22. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, good games can always find an audience.

23. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Put something together on my murder mystery idea ...

They found her in the early hours of the morning. Lt. Trenaca of the Queen's guard had been send to patrol the gardens. It was a representative duty, as the imperial presence on the planet had lead to a security unknown to the planet in the long years of the Clone Wars.

This feeling of security was shattered in the first rays of the morning sun, when the Queen's Handmaiden Ayara Lashi was found dead near the central fountain in the garden. She was lying face down in the grass. A single hole was in her back and went all way through her chest to her torso. She had clearly died by violent means. A murder in the palace of the Queen of Naboo. A murder right under the watch of the Royal Guard of Naboo.

Queen Dalné was informed immediately and she send messengers to both the now diminishing Naboo Security Forces and Moff Panaka, to ask them to help with the investigation of this terrible act of violence.

The investigations began immediately. What nobody could know at that time was the terrible truth the investigation would unearth and how it would change the planet forever.

————————

Murder on Naboo

————————

It is the fifth year of the Galactic Empire and a terrible murder has happened on Naboo, the homeplanet of the Emperor. Both the local law enforcement and the Empire have been asked to investigate the case and have appointed investigators to do so.

The investigators are you. You could be part of the law enforcement of either the Empire or Naboo's still existing Security Force. You could also be an outsider asked, forced or simply hired to investigate the crime by either of the two investigating parties. Feel free to come up with any investigator you feel might make sense.

————————

Character Sheet

Name:
    Equipment:
    Sidekick:
    Short Bio:

————————

RULES:

1. GM word is law
    2. No Godmodding, but every player can have s sidekick who he shares as a character with the GM and who helps him in the investigation.
    3. The game will have a maximum of four players.
    4. If a player is absent for a considerable time the GM reserves the right to take control or even remove him from the game if he sees it as necessary.
    5. Have fun!

SirakRomar likes this.
  24. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Looks lovely.

I can totally see an imperial Sherlock Holmes there.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    This would be an excellent starter game, particularly for people who haven't tried an RPG before, and it definitely fills a gap on these boards. There aren't really any "Rebels taking down the Imps" games here, and it was one of the things that put me off trying an RPG. Nothing available in the time frame I wanted to play. It might attract a few new players... Black Sheep is really the only one going in that era/genre at the moment; everything else seems to be AU, or far future or far past or you're playing Imps.