main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode IX - Trailers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 12, 2019.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    We've all seen it by now. But let's watch it again.

Now... talk. :D

And let's be nice here; put anything spoiler-y for the trailer in spoiler tags.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  3. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Interesting.

Palpatine's laugh was interesting;
    - I don't consider the possibility of him being a Force ghost, because Sith doesn't believe in spirituality, they only care about physicality.

Then he is either ;

A: Survived somehow like Maul did. But lost his ability to use the Force, and someone helped him to restore his former self.
    B: It's a droid similar to the one that we see in Battlefront 2 story.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    the destroyed Death Star?

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh yes.
    We're possibly going back to Endor it seems. The location looks a bit like the grasslands in Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. If so, awesome!

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I suppose it could have been Yavin, but the laugh makes me think the wreckage was DS2, so more likely Endor.

TCF-1138 and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  7. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Re: "No one's ever really gone."

I started laughing like Palpatine to that.

8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    This teaser trailer pleases me greatly, as does the resulting discussion I've seen most of the day.
    The title is extremely intriguing..."The Rise of Skywalker" really rolls of the tongue. I don't think the title is a spoiler really, but just wanted to hide my thoughts from people that might not have seen the trailer.

TCF-1138 and Tython Awakening like this.
  9. Sard_Oola

Sard_Oola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2001
    Does anyone else think that when it says
    The saga comes to an end
    they may mean it in an shockingly huge way?

To TheYodaPagoda: I'm also not so sure about the title being all that innocuous....

10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, I don't buy that line for a second.
    I'm sure we'll get an Episode X sooner or later, and there will be a Skywalker in it.

11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Lucasfilm is saying Episode IX will bring closure to the "Skywalker Saga," yet the film will be titled "The Rise of Skywalker."

One day after the trailer release, this new title is giving me issues:
    1) Which member of the Skywalker clan are we talking about? Luke, Anakin, or someone else?
    2) Both Anakin and Luke already rose to prominence and become legends. Anakin during the Clone Wars. Luke during the rebellion.
    3) The title strikes me as being rather "after the fact." Ok, now the name Skywalker finally rises. I thought it already rose to prominence over the six original saga films. What is being suggested at or hinted at with this title?
    4) I'm ready to be shocked and amazed with how Lucasfilm is going to make this new title meaningful to the fans. But how?

12. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I have the same questions myself. Somehow, I have the feeling that the title is a bit like "The Force Awakens", when Rey awakens her Force potential. Probably Rey is a Skywalker, maybe in a symbolic sense, if not a literal one.

Other than the title, the question that I have is regarding the laughter

by Palpatine at the end. Does he survive ? Or does he return in some other way ? I would be willing to accept a Palpatine clone, or a Palpatine Force Ghost or even a Palpatine resurrection. Palpatine referred to Darth Plagueis and his quest into the "unnatural" abilities of the Force to defy death in Revenge of the Sith, so it would be somewhat plausible that Palpatine himself may have been able to learn that particular ability.

If, however, Palpatine just happened to find some escape tunnel while falling down the shaft, I would be disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Sarge and Tython Awakening like this.
  13. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I think the title means what it says it means. It'll just take about 7 months to find out, and it'll all make sense!

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    speaking of spoiler-phobia, did anyone notice when the teaser first went on youtube it just said "Episode IX teaser" in the description and now it says "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker", I think they first uploaded it as Episode IX to not spoil the title reveal at the end for the first day for hardcore fans like me who jumped on it (I admit, I was a wee bit disappointed that it was possible it'd find the title from the youtube video name) but maybe a day later they changed it the title of the video to "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker teaser". I really appreciate that brief level of spoiler consideration!

Or when they first upped it as "Episode IX teaser" that was a goof.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    It was definitely to preserve the title reveal. They worked hard to not spoil the title until the very end of the teaser at the IX panel at Celebration - they weren't going to let their own Youtube video spoil the title for people who didn't watch the live stream.

TheYodaPagoda and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah it's cool move, and kind of interesting that I think it only said "Episode IX" teaser for, like, less than a day or so then they changed the name to Rise of Skywalker teaser.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Iefan and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  17. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I remember seeing the blue Star Wars logo, and thought the title reveal took longer than it should have. I half thought we might not get a title, then "The Rise of Skywalker" appeared in the middle.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Nice teaser. TLJ's was better, though.

19. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I very much enjoyed the teaser as well. TLJ's teaser honestly left me a bit disappointed back in April 2017, but then the trailer that dropped in October is still to this day the best trailer I have ever seen. The Episode IX teaser did the perfect job of getting everyone excited about the film again without revealing any plot.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hah, yah glad to see it's not just me that thought the blue Star Wars logo was almost on screen a hair too long for me to think "geeze, they STILL aren't going to reveal the title!" And then they did.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Updated the thread title to encompass all TROS trailers.

And speaking of TROS trailers...

22. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
  23. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    The inclusion of equal parts PT/OT footage in that introductory bit was encouraging. While I'm not holding my breath that they'll go to the deep-lore places my dream Episode IX would go to, I'm at least hopeful that JJ & co. are genuinely trying to shoot for something that addresses and complements the arcs that came before it.

I'll be surprised if that final shot of Rey isn't from a Force vision (one of Kylo's, maybe, since he's already mentioned in TLJ that he sees her turn; or another one of Rey's, since the mingled sound effects that precede the shot remind me a lot of what happens when she touches the saber in TFA) ... or maybe it's something Palpy conjures up to confuse unwitting participants in his drama. Point being: In terms of a "reveal," it feels very much like the final shot from the TLJ trailer in which Kylo offers his hand to Rey—an out-of-context shock leading us to believe something that's not quite true of the story's ultimate direction.

If I'm wrong, though, I won't necessarily be mad!

Oh, and that 1:30 shot of her catching Anakin's saber is just ^:)^

TheYodaPagoda and smoothkaz like this.
  24. CowMoo

Aug 12, 2001
    That is my thinking as well, probably just a Force vision. Probably similar to Luke's vision in the Dagobah cave when it is revealed that Luke was battling against himself. There are a bunch of theories about there about a clone, or some such, but most likely, just a Force vision. Sadly, I'm somewhat disappointed that it probably isn't something much more than just a Force vision. I'm still hoping that this final film in the saga will be more "renegade" (in JJ Abram's words) than simply echoing of films past.

25. CowMoo

Aug 12, 2001
    The final trailer for "Rise of Skywalker" is below, with Rey's intense stare-down.