main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Episode Numbering Continue For This New Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 15, 2019.

?

Should the new Saga have Episode numbers?

1. Yes, of course

29.2%
  2. No, you idiot

70.8%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Here's an intriguing question: Should they continue the Episodic format of the Skywalker Saga or discard it?

Personally I think they should keep it. Now I'm not saying the new Saga should start with Episode X. I think they should start over with Episode I and build from there. I think getting rid of the crawl and Episode numbering would be akin to removing the gun barrel from James Bond. It just should be there along with "A long time ago..." If it's not there I'll get over it and enjoy the new films but I really hope the serialized format continues.

Now you share your opinion!

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They should be labeled as a countdown to the conclusion.

Kuestmaster, Kole and B3 like this.
  3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Voted No. However the opening (sound and crawl) should stay

black_saber likes this.
  4. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I think so. I would even like the numbering to keep going. X, XI, XII, etc.
    The Skywalker Saga is ending, but not the main Star Wars film series. And it's a pretty safe bet some characters from the sequel trilogy will carry over into the next main films.

5. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Lucasfilm might be leaving itself open to continuing the Saga Numbering with X, XI, and XII.

When you stop and think about the saga numbering issue, Lucasfilm could play an old switcheroo on us again. After Episode 9, the next film could be Episode 16. After a trilogy of Episodes 16, 17, and 18 concludes, then we go back in time to the Episode 15 trilogy. Then we go backwards again to an Episode 10 trilogy.

I'm in favor of the next film being Episode 25 and feeling like a totally different universe from Episode 9. Then we move backwards and explain how all the changes happened. That would give a deserving director a mostly blank canvas to make an important SW film. The fun part would be seeing an entirely new SW universe and then moving backwards to connect the old universe with the new universe.

We could also have new Episode numbering set up for an Old Republic or Dawn of the Jedi saga of films. Each could start with an Episode I and then eventually have 9 or more saga films.

I voted No by the way! But I want to be surprised. I want the films to be good and challenging and have an intangible wow factor. They are playing SW too safe and rehashing the formula.

cwustudent and black_saber like this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    They should start the next saga in the middle with Episode XIV and then work through XVI before going back and doing episodes X through XII...

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm voting no on the numbering. I'm fine with them maintaining the opening crawl, although I think new theme music might be appropriate considering the "Star Wars" theme was developed to musically represent Luke Skywalker, and we're moving away from the saga centered around his family. But numbering? Continuing it only works if we move the story forward, and connect it to the one the franchise has been following since 1977. It doesn't seem either of those factors will be the case (betting money on the next big "saga" being set in the distant past so they can work in a ton of Jedi and Sith), so the only option is to reset the numbering at 1. That's... going to become needlessly confusing. Saying "the first Star Wars" already causes some confusion ("wait, do you mean The Phantom Menace, or A New Hope?"), and we don't need a second "Episode I," or something similar like "Chapter 1," "Part 1," or whatever. Let the serialized number headings end with the Skywalker saga.

8. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not sure. It's going to get awfully wordy. It already going to be "Star Wars: Series Name: Subtitle". Adding an episode number on top of that might end up looking a bit obnoxious.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think it should, that’s just Star Wars and keep the scroll.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  10. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I voted no, but don't think you're an idiot. The Skywalker saga should be the only numbered "episodes".

However, the new trilogies could use chapters or chronicles. For Example: A Star Wars Trilogy: Chapter I/Chronicle I.

Or have a unifying title with a number or title e.g. Star Wars: Chronicles of the Old Republic - Chapter I or Star Wars: Chronicles of the Old Republic - The Fallen Knight.

Just an idea.

Troy_Viszla and Mostly Handless like this.
  11. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I saw this idea running around in the forums months ago where the current Skywalker Saga will be designated a name, let's say for simple sake, The Skywalker Saga. It consists of 9 films from The Phantom Menace to The Rise of Skywalker in addition to the 3 spinoff films ( inc. The Clone Wars ) and its many supplementary TV series.

I think it would be cool to see the designated roman numbers for each Episode to be carried around for separate saga's. Though, they'll have to overcome the confusion of it all as they'll come a time when people wouldn't know if Episode I refers to The Phantom Menace or a film in a separate saga.

There were also screenshots running around from the latest Disney+ platform where Disney just promoted Episode IV as Star Wars: A New Hope, cutting away the Episodic Designation in its title. Maybe the trilogies going forward would see similar naming process but on the other hand would make marketing a bit of a nightmare so they'll need to find creative ways to differentiate them. Maybe by colour coding etc.

For me personally, future films should retain the following :
    1. A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away
    2. STAR WARS opening & crawl

The part I'm most worried about is actually the music that plays over the opening. In terms of Episodic designation, keep it, it works.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    cwustudent and ladygrey45 like this.
  12. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I low key hope they get someone else to do Rians trilogies tbh...

cwustudent likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's completely off topic.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    For simplicity's sake and to make it less confusing for the non-hardcore fans I think they would just continue to name the films Star Wars: Something Something Subtitle. The Episode numbers wouldn't appear in any marketing just in the actual film.

Mostly Handless and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I could certainly get behind that, though I think something like "Chapter I" would be better than "Episode I", simply to separate them a bit from the Skywalker Saga movies.

16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic - Chapter II: Memories of Revan

The GA ain't sayin' all that.

17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I think George Lucas' gears are still turning for how he would have continued the Saga films beyond Episode 6. A young GL would have seen the need to mix up the formula. I'm not sure if GL would allow any non-saga films without saga numbering. The "George pattern" was to gripe about there being no more SW films and then plan out saga films that use numbering. Under George, we could have gotten 9 more saga films with Episode 13 getting released first. Unnumbered Standalone films where different actors play the same character was not his style for SW.

Disney may push SW away from George's style by dropping the saga numbering and allowing different actors to play the same character (i.e. Solo: A SW Story). There might be an artistic and financial risk to deviating from the style established by George. The box office performance of Solo: A SW Story perhaps signals the risk of deviating from George's style. Disney risks forcing SW brand of Space Opera into the pattern established by the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I've read up on him or seen interviews of him talking about "Droid World" films and "Midi-Chlorian World" saga films. There was a problem with Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars having similar story elements, concepts, and artistic direction. So, the unique saga elements of Battlestar Galactica may have limited where George could take SW in the late-70s to early 80s period, but not in the 90s.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This:

But, if they really want to do numbers, then this:

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I cannot decide until IX is out. Depends how this movie/saga ends.
    Maybe do it like MCU and if it is a story arc with a special arc or topic like 'Infinity Saga' / 'Skywalker Saga' then the numbering should stop if the goal is reached. A new main theme should then start agan with a numbering like 'Knights of the Old Republic saga' etc.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @Darth Chiznuk I could go either way, but DEFINITELY think you're an idiot.:D

TCF-1138 , EHT, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That hurts my feelings. You're no longer a part of my trust tree @Pro Scoundrel!

:p

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Rise of Revan: An Old Republic Star Wars Story: Episode IV

So, no. :)

23. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I agree with keeping the "Long Ago..." on practically everything, but I think they need to switch this up in the future if they are really going to tell stories outside the Skywalker saga. I think the style of the opening format should match the style of the movie or series, but still retain a sense of overall starwarsiness. I would only be disappointed if the abandon the idea of Star Wars opening format completely. That would bum me out.

I do think it would be respectful to stop the classic numbering structure with IX. They should have allowed it to stop at VI.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am saying replace it, instead of "get rid of it."

Current format:
    - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

New format:
    - Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Rise of Revan

25. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I suppose they couldn’t just restart the numbering for a new saga? Like Star Wars Episode 1: Blah Blah Blah. The nickname for it would be just the Blah Blah Blah Blah (BBB) as we already do.

I know it’s confusing because of course we already have an Episode 1. However, if the subtitle is different it would be enough for me.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019