main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 The Good, the Bad, and What Made You Want to Scream

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by LAJ_FETT , Apr 15, 2019.

1. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    The Good

My first Celebration!
    Was lucky enough to get into the Episode IX panel!
    I mainly hung out at the Star Wars Show Live stage after the IX panel, so I all of those interviews front and center! (look for the red head [my wife] and the guy next to her in a ball cap who needs a haircut)
    I high fived Andi Gutierrez.

The Bad
    It is over.
    I was one of the ones who waited 8 hours in the store line on Thursday.

The Scream
    I wanted that Master and Apprentice exclusive. Thursday I was in the store line. Friday I was in the IX panel. Saturday and Sunday the line for the book was already ridiculously long, so I figured I'd try my luck on Monday since tickets hadn't sold out. Monday, though, they said the VIPs snagged them all before the rest of us were even let in. Only real disappointment this weekend.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What's the exclusive going for on eBay? Maybe you can get one there once the hype on Celebration has died down some.

teamhansolo and Link1130 like this.
  3. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Good: For my first Celebration, I had fun, met a few people, and took lots of pictures

Bad/Scream: There really were no bad parts. I came in with somewhat low expectations pertaining to photo ops and booths, and they have been exceeded..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

teamhansolo and Link1130 like this.
  4. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    This may sound silly, but part of the appeal for me would be getting it from Celebration. Getting it second hand and rewarding someone who bought it just to resell it would sour it for me.

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Here are my opinions.

The Good
    The entrance logistics. I always went to the convention centre when it opened, not before, and could just stroll straight in. The security and bag checks were efficient. Sure there were lines to all the stuff when you went inside, but you didn't need to queue if you just wanted to get in.
    The lottery system. Now before you scream at me. The lottery system needs a lot to work, I get especially annoyed when some people won multiple lotteries when others won none, and that there were empty seats in the main arena for at least two of the lottery panels (Mandalorian and TPM). Still I think a tweaked system is a lot better than having to spend a long time in the queue and not knowing if you will get in or not.
    The IX panel. I'm not a sequel fan, but I very much enjoyed the panel, and the cast seemed to have a really good time on stage. I was in an overflow stage, and I was happy that I did go even if I don't have high expectations for the actual film. The teaser gave me some goosebumps though.

The bad
    The TPM panel. It was a letdown. No stuff was given out afterwards and it just felt short and scripted. Now I have heard from a very reliable source that they had planned to have a very special guest there, but that his flight got cancelled on Sunday due to the snowstorm. In the end the pre-show turned out to be more interesting thant he actual panel.
    The app crashing and the lightspeed lane not working on Thursday. It wasn't a surprise, but it's still bad that so much wasn't fully functional when the Celebration opened on Thursday.

The scream
    Many vendors didn't have their stock with them, just things that you could try on and then order. After all they offered free shipping...but only in the US. This is a good example of a conversation that I had.
    - " I really want that thing"
    - "We don't have it here, but you could order it and we have free shipping"
    - "Do you ship outside the US?"
    - "We ship to the UK, but not for free"
    - "I don't live in the UK, I live in Sweden"
    - "Sorry, then we can't help you"
    As a fan outside of the US, Celebrations are my big chance of getting my hands on things that aren't available in Europe and I assume it's the same for many fans from Asia and Australia/New Zealand. Many of the US licencees don't sell at all outside of the US. This Celebration Loungefly wasn't even there, and I saw so many things that I would have like to buy, but couldn't because they were just models. My wallet was happier for it, but by the end of Monday I really wanted to scream about this.

6. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    @Obi Anne Jane found the same. We ended up getting the teeturtle exclusive shirt shipped to relatives because they can’t ship outside US and sold out on Thursday morning. We’re lucky that was an option otherwise it was just “tough luck, we can’t sell you that”

teamhansolo likes this.
  7. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    You all could just move to the US like normal people... ;)

8. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Good
    - It was my first Celebration and I had a ton of fun
    - Lucked out with the panel lottery getting IX, Mandalorian, and TPM in Wintrust
    - IX panel - the crowd was so electric and it was a unique experience for me
    - Security lines went quickly
    - Managed to get the Hasbro exclusives without winning the lottery
    - Seeing so many passionate fans and awesome costumes together in one place
    - Panel reservations and lightspeed lane were nice once they actually started working

Bad
    - A lot of last minute communication for something planned so far out in advance
    - App didn't work well first day
    - Caught a nasty cold

Scream
    - Trying to fit everything I bought into carry-ons while keeping it all protected (I should have planned better for this)

9. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I guess one other thing that was kind of frustrating was going back and forth between the Wintrust and the Celebration entrance. I know security was just doing their job, but dang, it was maddening opening all areas of my backpack every single time. When you do it more than once a day I definitely wanted to scream. Plus, the Wintrust wouldn't let you take any open water bottles with you. I had to throw away good water because my bottle was half full. "Phones and keys above your head"! Ugh

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I actually had no complaints. Everything worked well. I got into the panels I wanted to outside of having overflow for IX and not arena. I got to do all of the things I wanted. My autographs moved quickly. I actually got a ton of autographs and never felt rushed. Waiting in lines was fun since I could chat with other Star Wars fans.

teamhansolo likes this.
  11. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    I thought that I did plan for this and I was still struggling as I packed up. both of my Hasbro exclusives got bent which really sucked but I usually open my figures anyway so it's not the end of the world for me. I came with 2 large half empty suitcases and returned with 2 large overstuffed suitcases. Orlando is driveable for me so that was a great con to come home from. Chicago and Anaheim forces me to put my Tetris skill to the test.

teamhansolo likes this.
  12. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I don't mind being the middle man to any fans outside the US that can't get stuff shipped. I've done it in the past for other fandoms

13. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    Good
    - Autographs
    - Lottery system (I thought it was well managed)
    - Being able to see all the major panels (IX in line for the store, Disney streaming at the hotel, Mando at the Star Wars Show Live! stage and TPM in Wintrust)
    - Security lines went quickly
    - Meeting many SW fans and feeling so part of a family (even though Chicago was my 7th SW Celebration, this feeling never gets old)
    - Not having to wait overnight nor wristband / no queue to enter the McCormick Place (after it was open)

Bad
    - Too much last minute planning (I mean on Reed's part, even though I also have my flaws)
    - Queue for The Store (The Store in general was not managed well, even though it was managed better at previous Celebrations)
    - App for panel reservations and lightspeed lane was not working properly (they should have had the online option like for the lottery system)
    - Having to go through Security again between the Wintrust and McCormick
    -TPM panel (I thought there would be more emphasis on the 20th anniversary of Celebration than for TPM - I was overjoyed when they showed photos of Celebration One! I wasn't there and I would totally pay for those photos -- I think they should do a sort of Yearbook, like we had in high school). Since this was the only panel I saw in the Wintrust, I would have liked them to give something away, like for the other panels.

Scream
    - The Store! (I know I already mentioned, but this has so much impact on my enjoyment of the rest of Celebration, in particular being able to see more panels)

14. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    The lottery system has to go, but, I realized why they set it up -no camping! let's hope they don't do it again at Anaheim. The store line was FAST! better than before-no trouble, very friendly, helpful staff and security, Amazed at the $22 never ending and refillable cups! loved the unexpected snow! amazing weather. loved seeing tons of fans all over Chicago and the airports. despite heavy expenses and transportation problems, this was a better organized Cele. believe it or not!

15. Luke Floorwalker

Luke Floorwalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2018
    Hello everyone
    First thank you everyone who posted relevant information on here,very helpful.

This is my third SWC after Orlando 2017 and London 2016.
    The Good: I like the lottery system (5 day ticket won 1 panel), so much better than all night queuing.
    The autograph area as near as perfect as your going to get it.
    Queuing to get in. So much better than Orlando

The Bad: The App.Need to do online ordering as well.
    Security. Nobody I know had there ticket checked. Could of been a walk-in to the exhibit hall.
    Needed to be spread out more. Very confined in some areas
    Price for the vendors. $2500 for 5 days. Too much. Would encourage more if cheaper.
    Guests and surprise guests. Orlando as bad as the organisation was the guest list was phenomenal.

Scream: Why does there have to be so many calories in fast food?

All in all I think they are getting there. It does not help going from one convention center to another but they are quicker picking up the problems and acting on them than before.

I had a great time this time the same as I have had at the others. We all adapt to what is presented to us and its up to us as individuals to find the thing that makes us smile and I certainly did that.

16. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I had my badge checked once before a photo op, but that was it. As long as you had a QR code, you could have gotten in Wintrust without a badge. Anybody could have walked the floor. I took my badge off for a photo op and walked around for a couple hours afterwards before realizing I left it in my pocket.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  17. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I had my badge checked a bunch on the way in to the right side, but the left enterance near Starbucks never checked.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh definitely no one was checking badges. Setting that aside, security was super lax all around- most of the time when I checked in a guard opened my bag, looked for about 2 seconds and then sent me along. Must be a ReedPop thing because security sucks at NYCC too, though there at least they do check your badge upon entry and exit.

19. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    I didn't post in this thread, so..

Bad & Scream..

1. Ok, so I stayed at Hyatt Regency on East Wacker. Wonderful hotel, but they didn't charge my debit card at once. They charged it every other day, so I had to constantly check my account to make sure I did not overspend the money in my account.

2. I didn't get into any of the smaller panels. I think one of them was about upcoming novels, but by the time I got to the room, it was filled and no more seats were availible. Wasted all that time walking for nothing..

3. I did not know there was a food court in the west building until like the last day..

Good..

1. What csn I say, it was 5 days of Star Wars overload..

StarWarsFan1997 likes this.
  20. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Let's hope that there are no more 5 dayers! esp. if there are no super celebrities attending or panels . my squawk is who will come to next years Cele. if all of the restrictions are in place?(they cancel it again!) I was thinking the majority of the program would be The Mandalorian and such, that's not bad at all, but to have to wear masks almost 24 hrs. a day to have fun? on the plane, in the airports, hotels, transportation, Cele.+ distancing, at panels, Disneyland, etc. Are you willing do that? might as well wear an environmental suit as a costume! ( with Star Wars decals)!

21. darthvader88

Apr 29, 2005
    If they spread it out 5 days is a sufficient amount of days...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

22. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    You would have to have a very good lineup of activities, I say Orlando! there are many activities there. another 5 dayer would work well in Orlando, esp. for the Star Wars(77) 50th anniv.! Has anyone thought about what they would like to see at that date?

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't really mind the longer cons if they have plenty to do. That's why I like them being close to the theme parks. If there are no panels that interest me I can always go visit a theme park for the day.

24. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Now everyone has gotten the notification for next May! Can you take it?

25. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and New year celebration- of some type! I blew my conch shell at midnight and the echo was massive!